Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2017, 05:57 AM   #1

Remove the Slide to Repair?

My friends, newbies as well, came home to find a puddle of hydraulic fluid under their bedroom slide. It's a 2003 Winnabago Adventurer I believe. Guessing the issue is a line, a ram or the pump.

Does anyone know if the slide needs to be removed to access the mechanicals? Removal certainly adds to the labor cost. They have a mobile tech coming in a few days.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideLeak.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	479.5 KB
ID:	184975  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 06:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Surely not necessary to remove slide. It may be as simple as a leaking hose fitting or hose. Hose can be replaced. If it is a leaking cylinder, it may require gaining access by getting under the bed depending on location of leak source.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Surely not necessary to remove slide. It may be as simple as a leaking hose fitting or hose. Hose can be replaced. If it is a leaking cylinder, it may require gaining access by getting under the bed depending on location of leak source.

I too had a leaking slide up in Bath Maine on my 2003 Itasca Sundancer. I discovered a leaking hose. Removed the hose and took it to NAPA. They made a new hose and I put it on at the campground. Problem fixed!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:29 AM   #4

Could be as simple as a loose fitting. Many of the hydraulic fitting are compression or flair fittings so don't use gorilla force to tighten. I would first relieve the hydraulic pressure, loosen the fitting then tighten securely. Wipe it all down and try the slide. That's assuming you find the source of the leak. Since it appears to be on a concrete slab, a creeper and flashlight will be useful.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #5

Thanks! I'll pass it on. My slides are a cable system so I'm not familiar with how the hydraulic systems are installed and component accessability.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:24 AM   #6

Removing slide is not necessary. But since he's under there fixing the leak, this would be a good time to perform PM on the whole system. Like....replacing the fluid, greasing the ram seals at the bottom of each ram, cleaning chrome rams with a silicone based lubricant, checking all electrical contacts and the like. Read the manual for full list of items and schedule. This is something that he can do himself and should learn to do.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #7

Probably using Flat rate manual
jfoldesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #8

jvalich,
As has been stated, the leak could be a number of potential issues. A ram seal, hose, fitting, etc. I hope it's not the worst. And that is, one of the two rams that extends and retracts the bedroom slide. I don't like classing all Winnes as being the same 'cause, there's at least some differences in certain models and operations. I say the "Worst" because, I've been there, TWICE! And the worst is, it's the master ram (forward one) for the bedroom slide.

I've only read of one other instance on this forum where the bedroom master ram was leaking, other than ours. And, if it wasn't for that person having the misfortune of that leak, and what it took to remove that ram to get it replaced or repaired, I'd never have known. It's a very, very intense and laborious job to get that ram out of there. I won't go into all the details now, unless asked.

Heck, even getting to the fittings on it is no small feat. But, seeing a spot on the floor beneath that area, is not necessarily indication that it's a disaster. As stated, it could be a hose, a fitting etc. A bit more information is needed to narrow down a procedure. Good luck and, please report back on what's found to be the culprit.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
A good thing for you 2 do is record the event or maby take pics while he is doing the work and post it on here as a sticky..Might save somebody a lot of time and trouble in days to come ..just a thought good luck Terry
Old 12-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #10

Fortunately it's not my coach but rather a friends. They had a slide issue last year that was a 7 month repair. A mobile tech from Good Sam pushed in their other slide causing huge damage. Insurance covered this repair. I don't know if the repair shop did anything to the bedroom slide. They have a mobile tech who fixed their refrigerator last month coming to look at it tomorrow. I'll report back as to what he found. I'm crossing my fingers for them as they have had a lot of downtime with the coach and some major expenses.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
I have a HWH LR slide that has developed a leak, will be going to the shop in a month or two... Just have been debating whether or not I want to drive the 2,000 miles to Moscow IA. or try to get it repaired near home.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
Many of the hydraulic fitting are compression or flair fittings
"FLARE" fittings...not "flair". Sorry, but words mean things.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:17 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I knew what he meant, but thanks for the spelling lesson.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #14

The mobile repair tech said it's the ram. They are waiting for him to find the part so he can determine the cost. Does the slide have to come out to replace a ram?

Tags
air, repair, slide