Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Removing our television antenna - Interior Trim

Our motorhome is an internet wonder and on the rare occasions that we watch television, it's via streaming internet.

The Winegard batwing antenna is just taking up space on the roof (as is the satellite dome) and I'm going to remove it. I've got the exterior patch in our fiberglass roof taken care of, but I'm not sure what would be best to patch the hole in the interior vinyl ceiling.

Have any of you done anything useful or classy with the interior hole from the antenna crank? I can easily make a wood trim ring, but it will look like exactly what it is - an interior trim ring covering a hole in the ceiling. I'm hoping that someone has done something with a bit more panache.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I replaced the coax on the antenna, I had to make the hole bigger to dig the old coax out. To hide the oversize hole, I used one of those wall / door knob protector disk things. They are self adhesive and glue to a wall to keep a door knob from punching a hole in the plaster. They come in a couple different sizes and colors. I used the 5 inch one. It worked GREAT and looks factory installed..

Take a look at the photos on my blog site for my old Mirada..

Replace roof top antenna coax cable – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

OR - Put up a smoke alarm, a new light, etc, etc....
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceNinja View Post
Our motorhome is an internet wonder and on the rare occasions that we watch television, it's via streaming internet.

The Winegard batwing antenna is just taking up space on the roof (as is the satellite dome) and I'm going to remove it. I've got the exterior patch in our fiberglass roof taken care of, but I'm not sure what would be best to patch the hole in the interior vinyl ceiling.

Have any of you done anything useful or classy with the interior hole from the antenna crank? I can easily make a wood trim ring, but it will look like exactly what it is - an interior trim ring covering a hole in the ceiling. I'm hoping that someone has done something with a bit more panache.
I'm considering removing my out dated satellite dome as well. What did you use to patch the holes on the fiberglass roof?
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
I'm considering removing my out dated satellite dome as well. What did you use to patch the holes on the fiberglass roof?
I prepped the area around the holes from the old dome brackets and the cable penetration then used some System 3 epoxy and 2x2 woven glass cloth to cover the holes. When it was cured, I scuff sanded and cleaned the patches, then covered them with Dicor fiberglass roof coating (which is what the rest of the roof was recoated with last summer, as well).

I'll do the same thing for the exterior of the Winegard antenna, but the inside still bugs me. It's a big hole in an odd place. I might just make and put up a new ceiling panel.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:30 AM   #5

White 4" round electrical box cover plates might work.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #6

Might cut the size you need from wood then use some vinyl matching the ceiling to wrap it. Double sided 3M tape would stick it up there with out using noticeable fasteners.

Tags
antenna, interior, television