Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Repainting fiberglass roof

I have a dark brown painted and clear coated fiberglass roof which I want to repaint white to improve cooling in the hot sun. My choices seem to be Bus Coat, Dicor fiberglass roof coating, Rustoleum marine topside paint or a regular automotive white without clear coating. I sense that Bus Coat and Dicor are targeted to unpainted fiberglass applications, and another choice may be preferable. Has anyone repainted their previously painted roof with good results and can offer a recommendation. I hear good things about the Rustoeum, any one use it? Thanks
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I painted our roof with white Rustoleum topside paint 1 1/2 year ago. It stopped all the white wash streaking down the sides and looks great.

Make sure you clean it well first and then tape off the edges. I used 2 quarts and a long handle roller to apply two coats.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #3

Best would be to power wash the top, Prepsol to remove any wax, "DA" 400 dry paper sand the top, power wash, dry, mask, before putting any coating on it.
That will give the top coat some bite so it doesn't flake off in time.

For a 40' rig, sanding will take a half a day.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #4

Marine paint would work great it's got a lot of uv/uv protection in it, my only concern would be applying it on top of clear coat which ever product you choose will have a technical call line and they will tell you how to apply it, with some large yacht paint jobs costing up to 1 million dollars the paint consultants really know their stuff.
2002guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag73e View Post
I have a dark brown painted and clear coated fiberglass roof which I want to repaint white to improve cooling in the hot sun. My choices seem to be Bus Coat, Dicor fiberglass roof coating, Rustoleum marine topside paint or a regular automotive white without clear coating. I sense that Bus Coat and Dicor are targeted to unpainted fiberglass applications, and another choice may be preferable. Has anyone repainted their previously painted roof with good results and can offer a recommendation. I hear good things about the Rustoeum, any one use it? Thanks
May I ask, what year/model/chassis/coach are we talking about? Is it a "full body painted" coach? Not many coaches have a "dark brown" roof. Or, are you speaking of the radius edges or what?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:27 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Scott. Itís a full body paint job
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46EE1214-3A57-45DA-9AB0-46C653BA1701.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	241774  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is a write-up from the Beaver Ambassador Club

https://beaveramb.org/acadp_listings...-roof-coating/
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Wow that is absolutely a beautiful coach!
Any other pics?
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Mike. Thanks, it is striking, gets lot of attention in campgrounds, previously had. 40í Intrigue and wanted to downsize, its 34í. Hereís a link to a brochure
http://library.rvusa.com/brochure/Dy...naquestxl1.pdf
Old 04-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I used the Dicor on my painted RV roof and it works fine. It's a reflective paint and is applied like one. Bus Kote is an elastomeric, intended to seal as well as being reflective and cosmetic. Bus Kote is a better choice if you are trying to fix leaky seams or pinholes; otherwise I'd choose the Dicor product or a good marine deck paint.

My roof was white-painted fiberglass that had become chalky. I washed it, wiped it down with liquid sandpaper to remove the surface chalk and gave it two coats of Dicor Fiberglass paint. The whole process took me only about 5-6 hours, including drying time between coats (it was hot out and dried quickly).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #11

Gary, did you clean and prep
with the Dicor prep solutions IAW their instructions first or did you just clean with a following of the liquid sandpaper? How much liquid sandpaper did it take?
EdD
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Jag,
Wow, that's a really nice looking coach. And being that it does look so nice, is the roof on it really that bad or, in that bad of shape that, it requires a complete overhaul and or painting and or, total sealing? And, if that might be the case, would the same issues plague all of those model/year/type/style coaches? I guess I'm just not one for "painting" fiberglass roof when, unless there is no other viable solution. It's not my coach so, do what you think is best. Good luck and hope things turn out as planned.
Scott
Old 04-13-2019, 02:52 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Fire Up. The roof is in great shape, only reason for white paint is to reduce the interior heat buildup when parked in full sun. The dark brown simply absorbes too much heat, think I can improve this. Only painting the very top section, not the front shade/cab overhead. Will paint just inside the curved top so you will not see any white from ground level.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Fire Up. The roof is in great shape, only reason for white paint is to reduce the interior heat buildup when parked in full sun. The dark brown simply absorbes too much heat, think I can improve this. Only painting the very top section, not the front shade/cab overhead. Will paint just inside the curved top so you will not see any white from ground level.
Aaaaaahhha,
Now I see your reasoning. I don't disagree with your game plan one bit. I've never been a fan of darker colored coaches, especially any section of or near the roof. But, it's the way of the industry. I'm not any form of a pro painter but, have done a few paint jobs in my time. One thing that's of vital importance is the prep. The surface MUST BE PREPPED appropriately for paint to stick. I'm sure you'll find out all you need to know for this job and, just exactly what would be the absolute best paint for this application.
Scott

Tags
fiberglass, paint, roof