Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 01:37 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Repair ideas for Wiper Arm- OEM and MFG backordered

Like a number of others, the splines on the wiper shaft no longer bite into the wiper arm thus it just gets caught behind the curvature of the windshield. The normal solution is to just replace the arm, but like so many other things, they are on back order. Mfg said call back beginning of September. Anyone have an idea how I can temporarily get this thing to hold in-place until they become available? Fortunately it is the passenger side but would still be nice to have it if I have to drive in the rain.

Actually found one dealer who had it. National Indoor Showroom. They wanted $197 plus shipping for a part that the mfg sells to the public for $39. Even Entegra sells them for $97 including shipping, but they also are out of stock too. Hate to give into National Indoor Showroom pricing when I know I am getting ripped off.

Ideas for a temporary fix?
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 02:01 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Hammer out some lead into then sheets, like gum wrapper size, place it over the splines and tighten down the wiper.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Hammer out some lead into then sheets, like gum wrapper size, place it over the splines and tighten down the wiper.
I was thinking along the same lines. More ideas: Use thick lead foil, or soft copper shim stock.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:42 AM   #4

Assuming replacement of the splined part, then you could just used alum foil and wind thick enuf (layers even) to create a solid fit and use maybe extra washers if needed for nut to wedge the wiper in correct position - if it slips add mo alum foil or augment with length wise wire.

be creative you just need a tight wedge to hold wiper tightly.

You could even add 'liquid metal' to the mess of alum foil or whatever is used to give a tight fit - but only do things that are EASY to UNdo when part is in sept. !!

'repeat until working perfect' !!

GL !!
Old 07-28-2021, 05:45 AM   #5

Lots of HD wiper parts places online, I've used Cleveland Ignition and Mill Supply. Just got a big catalog from them, business must be booming.

https://www.millsupply.com/recreatio...v-wiper-parts/

http://busparts.com/assets/pdf-files...s-arms-pdf.pdf

I'd get a new knurled driver at the same time, if it's a little worn the new arm will wear fast.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #6

Use "red" Lock-tite. Good stuff for such problems.
ROUGHRIDER3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:28 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for all of the suggestions. The wiper arms are ridiculously large and heavy. The shaft is tapered which cuts the groves into the softer metal in the wiper arms. Once I started looking at it closer and realized I could put a larger washer behind the existing washer and a little larger diameter hole would allow the wiper arm to seat in a little deeper. Torqued it down and tried it out using the washer. Seems to be holding for right now. I am going to go out and get some smaller blades to help reduce some of the drag too.

Anyone else with a 2017 Entegra Cornerstone, here are the part number from Jayco and from the distributor of the wiper arms:

Jayco/Entegra
Passenger: 0246789
Driver: 0246790

Distributor: Global Products llc
Phone: 833-947-3771

Passenger: RA825OP-P20-S
Driver: RA825OP-D30-S
Old 07-28-2021, 06:52 PM   #8

If you want to reduce the drag of the wiper blade, wax the windshield. I currently use Newfinish polish but have used Rainex in the past. Significantly reduces wiper drag and makes it much easier to see thorugh the rain on the windshield.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio44718 View Post
Like a number of others, the splines on the wiper shaft no longer bite into the wiper arm thus it just gets caught behind the curvature of the windshield. The normal solution is to just replace the arm, but like so many other things, they are on back order. Mfg said call back beginning of September. Anyone have an idea how I can temporarily get this thing to hold in-place until they become available? Fortunately it is the passenger side but would still be nice to have it if I have to drive in the rain.

Actually found one dealer who had it. National Indoor Showroom. They wanted $197 plus shipping for a part that the mfg sells to the public for $39. Even Entegra sells them for $97 including shipping, but they also are out of stock too. Hate to give into National Indoor Showroom pricing when I know I am getting ripped off.

Ideas for a temporary fix?
The old school method for those old pressure fit wiper arms on just about everything was to make sure both the arm and shaft are in the right position, drill a hole straight through and drive a roll pin in the whole.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:44 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
If you want to reduce the drag of the wiper blade, wax the windshield. I currently use Newfinish polish but have used Rainex in the past. Significantly reduces wiper drag and makes it much easier to see thorugh the rain on the windshield.
Might be the reason it worked so well then. Just got done waxing mine with a ceramic wax that also works great on the windshield and glass in general. Still think I will reduce the size of the blades if I can to error on the caution side.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:56 PM   #11

The wiper arms on my Winnebago have a lead insert, Anco #42-16 you may want to Google the part number and see if this is whats stripped- most wiper arms do not bolt directly to the wiper mechanism shaft.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:20 PM   #12

Ohio, here are some wiper supply websites:
http://busparts.com/
https://www.wiperparts.com/

https://midwestbusparts.com/index.ph...x&cPath=21_339

http://rometruckparts.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post
Use "red" Lock-tite. Good stuff for such problems.
Not if you ever want to remove the part to install a new one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If this is DRIVER SIDE, move Passenger arm to Driver side? check parts stores, like NAPA/ AUTOZONE? Goto JUNK YARD w/ Old air in-hand?
Old 08-10-2021, 07:09 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Talking

Remove the arm (mark for indexing back in place). Clean the splines out on the pivot shaft with a box knife. Lay a couple of pieces of aluminum foil over the shaft and place the arm back on the pivot shaft. Tighten the nut down and torque to a minimum of 45 ft.lbs., tighter if it feels loose. Wait for one hour, then re-tighten.

You have encountered one of the week points on these coaches. Once you get to an area where you can be in place for awhile, you may want to replace both the spindle and the arm with new; these things are basically one-shot wonders, and will continue to be problematic once the arm has slipped on the spindle until ultimately replaced.

You can also downsize to a 36" (wiper technologies W-900av) blade assembly, which greatly reduces the drag on the arm vs. factory 40" blades, and will reduce the potential for future failure. Problem is, right now I could not find 36" blades with right attachment dimensions anywhere in the USA. I had to go back to 40" blades for now until the shorter blades become available this fall.

Also a good idea to check the tightness of the big hold-down nut every year before departing on a trip, just to ensure they will (hopefully) stay in place.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this item in my recent post to you Ohio!!!
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair