Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #1

Repair or Replace Pleated Day/Night Shades?

I have two 42" wide pleated shades that have each had a support string break. As a result, they will no longer stay in position, with exception of totally down.

These shades are in excellent shape overall, but I am unable to locate anyone to re-string them. Hate to have to buy new because the ones I have looked at thus far don't match my other shades.

I am currently staying near Grand Rapids, Michigan. Could put off this project till fall when I move to Panama City, Florida.

Suggestions?
geofferyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Rapids is not that far from Elkhart, IN. - RV capital of the world (100 miles or so). There must be someone in the Elkhart, Nappanee, Shipshewana area that will restring a pleated shade. Get thee to the Internet and that Google thing and search for "RV shades Elkhart, IN". I'll bet you find more than one shop that will fix you up.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
BTW, let us know what you find out and the cost. I have a couple of shades that need help and have family in the Ft. Wayne area. If you find a good source, I'll make a day trip when I'm up there around the Fourth of July and have them fix mine.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just google "restringing day/night shades" and you'll see several youtube videos on how to do the job yourself. It's really not that difficult.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
Community Moderator

i have done a few times of restringing it, a pretty easy thing actually.
follow the youtube video the first time then you will be fine afterward.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #6

You can purchase 100 yard roll of the shade string on Amazon for about $7. Can redo all for that price and have lots left to share.
jfoldesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #7

I have restrung several. I use fishing line for the replacement string of the same size. The hardest part for me was removing them from the window, the rest is easy. Once you open the channels it should be easy to see the path of the strings.

To keep the string from disappearing inside the bottom channel on older blinds I installed BB split shot which can be painted so it hardly noticeable and just needs to be slightly bigger than the hole in the bottom channel.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoldesi View Post
You can purchase 100 yard roll of the shade string on Amazon for about $7. Can redo all for that price and have lots left to share.
I purchased a " 3,000' " roll of it for right at $10 off ebay, a couple of years ago. I've got enough left to do about 500 motorhomes!! I'll never, ever use all of what I bought. I've re-strung almost all of mine and, while it's a bit of a time consuming ordeal, it's not all that hard. As has been stated, a search on youtube and you'll find way more instructional videos that you can shake a stick at. The harder part of the whole operation is, removing them from the valances and re-installing them. That's waaaaaaaay more difficult than re-stringing them.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I've never been a fan of the typical RV day/night shade, thought the night shade allowed way to much light in.

I went with household custom blinds. The came out measured, came back 2 weeks later. and installed them.

I had them use room darkening material and add a blackout backing to the back side also had them replace the front curtain too with the same blackout material backing.

No more strings to break, coach stays much cooler in the summer months. The go up and down just like the day/night did just without the string that breaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2077.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	202566  
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Well, you can tell I'm new to this game. I hate the pleated shades in our motorhome and wish not to mess with them. sdennislee, can you provide more details on your shades?
Old 05-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #11

Why doesn't anyone go with miniblinds?
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I used Budget Blinds.

They sent a guy out to measure each window and valance clearance. I went through the different styles of blinds, available colors and mounting options and made my selection. Style and mounting options are limited in an RV if you want to maintain your valances.

Took little under 2 weeks for them to build my blinds. The installer took down the existing blinds, I gave them to the RV park where I was staying figuring someone might use them. Took 2 hours or so to install the new blinds.

Also had them make new curtains for the windshield, driver's and passenger's side windows.

Options like room darkening and blackout backing material add to the cost of the blinds.

The more common option to replace day/night shades is MCD American Duo Roller Shades | MCD Innovations
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:09 AM   #13

I went through this myself, after some investigating I discovered that all of the parts strings and all can be bought on Amazon and there are some excellent YouTube videos that will walk you through this whole process of putting the shades back together, mine came out better than before.
lightbolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:12 AM   #14
YC1

https://www.google.com/search?q=rest...earch=irv2.com

We did not like the day/night shades. No way to take a peek outside when something goes bump.

We went to Lowes and had venetian blinds cut. Installing them was easy. No more restringing the buggers.

Amazon does have a kit to restring and I did plenty in 25 years. No more.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, repair, replace