Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

replacement slide topper

I was hoping someone out there could help me with some info. on how to replace the topper on one of my slides. Can I just buy the topper material alone, or do I have to replace every thing , hardware included. It seems like such a waste to have to replace everything but in looking at the Camping World catalog , I only see the whole system being offered. Thanks in advance for any help , Bruc.
bruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
You can do one of several things. You can do a search for Tough Top Awnings. They have replacement fabrics but you need to tell them what mechanism you have (Carefree, etc). You can remove the topper yourself, measure it, find some material and take it to a shop who can sew you the new topper (we have a shop that sews car seats, etc who will do awnings as long as you bring in the old one for a pattern). Or you can call the manufacturer of your topper directly and have replacement fabric sent to you.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #3

We used Tough Topper in Arizona. They have a web site with very clear instructions on measuring for replacement and ordering. You only replace the fabric, not eh hardware. Also have instructions for replacement. I found easiest way to remove is to cut the thing in half lengthwise and pull it off from one end. Wife and I replaced the one on our coach in less than an hour and we're still married.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
bruc - you are not saying what awning/topper system that you have, but you should be able to replace the fabric only. It's normally a fairly easy job.

Have a look at this website Stone Vos Inc

They tell you how to measure the fabric and they will make a topper ready to slide into your existing system. They will send the ready made product to the address you chose.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You can definitely replace just the fabric yourself. I have two topper awnings ordered from ToughTop Awnings now that will be here Friday! Great folks to deal with!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I've done my Carefree toppers and helped a friend with A&E toppers. either one is a fairly simple fabric replacement. There are instructions available online, plus they usually come with the replacement fabric.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #7

I used Tough Top awnings last year. The fabric is top notch, They are good folk to deal with.
santees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I just replaced the topper on my super slide. Ordered from Tough Top. Arrived quickly. 20 minutes total, old removed, new one installed. Very simple. Will need 2 people.
Fatfendr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
bruc - ......................
Have a look at this website Stone Vos Inc
X2 for Stone Vos............excellent workmanship and fabric
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go to the Tough Top web site and read their directions. They are greatly simplified - in comparison with the manufacturer instructions -with suggestions as to how to control the spring loaded spool. I did two of mine - 15 and 21 feet - in less than 2 hours. You need 8 ft step ladder, a can of silicone spray and a second person on the ground.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #11

We replaced all four of the slide out covers tis last year. We got ours from Stone Vos, and they were just fine.
It is not hard to replace them, just take your time and get a little help.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I replaced the fabric on one of mine a couple of years ago. Bought the fabric from UFO (United Fabric Outlet) in National City - near San Diego. There is tension in the roll up springs and you need to be carefull that it doesn't get away from you. At least that's the way I remember it.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Geeks has a YouTube video that shows how to replace you main awning & slide toppers.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My Tough Top slide awnings came in yesterday and I immediately discovered a big problem. The valances that hang over the roller tubes were not scalloped. I immediately called Tyler about this and he told me that he does not have the capability of doing scallops! I had sent him pics of my old awnings that clearly showed the scalloped valances and he never mentioned that he could not do them, nor could I find anywhere on their website that mentions that! My DW refuses to accept them like that, and I have to agree with her.

In fairness to Tyler, when I called him today about the problem he agreed to have them picked up and give me a full refund, OR he will give me a large discount if I choose to keep them.

Just thought I getter give you a heads-up about this!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement, slide