Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #1

The Dash heater on my 2000 Itasca Horizon smells like coolant and is dripping out the bottom. It appears I will have the best luck by removing the front of the motorhome to acess the heater box. Does anyone have any experience in doing this? Any tips on what to remove first?
george y is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #2

The Dash heater on my 2000 Itasca Horizon smells like coolant and is dripping out the bottom. It appears I will have the best luck by removing the front of the motorhome to acess the heater box. Does anyone have any experience in doing this? Any tips on what to remove first?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to IRV2, George. I don't know the answer, but I've placed a shortcut to your question in the Winnebago/Itasca Owners forum. Hopefully somebody there has some advice for you.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a thread with pictures on replacing the core on a Journey which should be the same as a Horizon in 2000: R & R Journey Heater Core. You'll find a number of other threads if you search for 'Journey' and 'core'.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:35 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Detailed instructions from battchief
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:04 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Was able to change my heater core without taking the front of the mh off just remover the acssess door to the front.Also had to remove the ac evaporator to get to the core. was not too bad a job. Was able to get new core from in about 5 days from Winnebago.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:32 AM   #7

I changed mine in my 2000 Journey last year. I followed the instructions from '"battchief" and it was pretty straightforward. It was easier for me to remove the front end and I didn't have to remove the ac evaporator. It is a good idea to ground the new one as the consensus is that this will keep the new one from being an issue in the future. Good Luck
RC
Old 12-15-2008, 05:40 AM   #8

Than you all for your kind welcomeand the threads I will need to replace my heater core. Is there a forum for Winnebago rv's? I thought I was in it when I posted my question.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
george y, this topic is posted in two forums; Winnebago and MH Problems, Solutions & After Market. The Winnebago forum is about half way down the main forum page. Good luck with the heater core project and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #10

Followed Battchief's most excellent instructions and I have the front clip leaning forward. Someone suggested grounding the unit. Any recommendations on how to attach a ground wire to the heater core? Also, my unit came with rubber plugs? or ends on the nipples. Do these come off or do you put a hole in em?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #11

George
The rubber plugs come out - the first one will come out with a "pop" - at leat mine did. I think there was a vaccuum or low pressure in it. I grounded mine by using a small hose clamp and bare wire on one of the nipples - there isn't a lot of room but was doable for me. Also the new core has a slightly different configuration as far as the nipples are concerned - the new ones are soldered in instead of screwed in.
RC
Old 12-19-2008, 05:51 AM   #12

I got the plugs out and the heater grounded. Thanks for the info. Putting the box back together with the clips was ugly, but I got it done. Have most of it back together. Probably the most time consuming was cleaning the old butyl tape off the alluminum stripping. What a mess. Once again, thanks for your help.