Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #1

replacing exterior Screw cover trim

I have a 2006 Forest River Lexington 283 GTS and it has what I think is called Screw cover trim that goes up one side then up and over the roof and down the other side.

One of the screws it was covering backed out and lifted the trim up damaging it.

Is this a special order item because of the way it wraps around the roof contour?

All I see listed on the web that looks similar, is called RIDGID screw cover, in 8' strips, so not sure its made to bend like I need.

Is this something any handy person can do ?

Of course, I have a full body paint job so I will need to find someone to repaint it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV side screw cover protrusion1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	181390   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV side screw cover 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	181391  

Name:	RV side cover 3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	181392  
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
Had similar issue on my 2011 Daybreak with full body paint. I did a fix to adhere it to the body rather than pull the trim and fix the popped screw. I'm not recommending that to you. I would consider drilling the cover over the screw to allow you access to it. Screw it back in and secure with epoxy if required. Take it to a body shop and have them patch the hole and spot paint the trim piece. You can even spot paint if you have the paint and airbrush.Taking the whole trim off and replacing is asking for a lot of problems and cost.
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrafters69 View Post
Had similar issue on my 2011 Daybreak with full body paint. I did a fix to adhere it to the body rather than pull the trim and fix the popped screw. I'm not recommending that to you. I would consider drilling the cover over the screw to allow you access to it. Screw it back in and secure with epoxy if required. Take it to a body shop and have them patch the hole and spot paint the trim piece. You can even spot paint if you have the paint and airbrush.Taking the whole trim off and replacing is asking for a lot of problems and cost.
Funny, that's exactly what I decided to do. But I am going to the local automotive paint store and for $20. they will make me an aerosol can of matching paint, as long as I provide the code or large enough sample for them to match it. Then I'm going to use plastic JB Weld and re-secure it, and plug the hole I drilled to get to the screw with a plastic plug I can get at ACE hardware. That should do the trick.
Thanks
Old 11-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #4

Here's the repair pictures. I bought a plastic plug the same size then painted it, and secured it with silicone since the hole wasn't exactly round. I also caulked the rest of the top areas of the screw covers on all four corners where they drop over the roof line and then repainted them as well.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #5

Sorry can't figure out how to turn the pictures. The originals are correct.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screw cover hole pic.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	182702   Click image for larger version

Name:	screw cover hole repair .JPG
Views:	70
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	182703  

Old 11-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks good and probably saved a major headache if you had removed the trim.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, scr