Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2017, 05:59 AM   #1

Replacing out dated tv

Considering replacing outdated led tv in overhead with a larger drop down. Has anyone done it would you share photos.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Considering replacing outdated led tv in overhead with a larger drop down. Has anyone done it would you share photos.
I had a moblie rv tech to do it. It cost 100$ and he provided the wood for the new frame. He was even able to shorten the height in the cabinet.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No photos but I can tell you what I did.
Since this is an overhead I removed the facia trim (4 screws) then measured the WIDTH of the TV.. Happened into a pawn shop that had one the EXACT SAME WIDTH (not as tall) and since they had no remote they gave me a nice discount, Remote from E-bay offsed half the discount.

Mounted it. TOok measurements

Knocked the bottom out of hte compartment and cut down (Well up actually)( the sides, re-installed the bottom, cut down the Facia as well (Shortened it) and re-monted it.. I still had a gap and since the TV is black took a length of 4" Grorilla Tape (Also black, same shade) to "Lengthen) the TV to fill the gap.. Looks factory from where I'm sitting.

Future plans call for mounting the TV on a "Door" and using the area behind it for CD/DVD type storage.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This is what we did. Maybe it will give you some ideas!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ne-136185.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #5

Here is what I did

Removed old monster TV and cabinet. Be prepared for this as cabinet was held in by all kinds of fasteners and vinyl padding was adhering to side cabinets. Cut down cabinet by 8 inches and reinstalled with reformed molding. Used coffee table top lift hinges mounted to side of interior cabinet. Finished plywood stained to match cabinets was mated to hinges and TV mount fastened to plywood.
Has worked out well and have access to cabinet behind TV. Used this opportunity to clean up overhead wiring and install front cab insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1861.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	185755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	185756  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1863.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	185757  
Old 12-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLoon View Post
Removed old monster TV and cabinet. Be prepared for this as cabinet was held in by all kinds of fasteners and vinyl padding was adhering to side cabinets. Cut down cabinet by 8 inches and reinstalled with reformed molding. Used coffee table top lift hinges mounted to side of interior cabinet. Finished plywood stained to match cabinets was mated to hinges and TV mount fastened to plywood.
Has worked out well and have access to cabinet behind TV. Used this opportunity to clean up overhead wiring and install front cab insulation.

Tim! This is exactly what we’re trying to do! Would you mind taking a couple more pictures of the backside of your TV so we can get a better idea of those hinges!? We love what you did!!!
2ndwindranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #7

I should have been more clear when I started this post. I was talking about a larger tv that swings down from the ceiling.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #8

Can't get photos right now.

Camper is covered and has a bunch of snow and ice on it. Will try to get in this weekend for more photos. Tim
Old 12-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLoon View Post
Camper is covered and has a bunch of snow and ice on it. Will try to get in this weekend for more photos. Tim

Oh gosh! It’s ok I think we can figure it out based on your description. Thank you!!!
Old 12-26-2017, 09:59 PM   #10

Quote:
I should have been more clear when I started this post. I was talking about a larger tv that swings down from the ceiling.
That was my intent when I removed our old CRT, but I could not locate a swing-down mount small enough to fit, nor could I locate adequate structural support in the MH ceiling to mount the TV mounts I did locate(MorRyde). I finally built a top-hinged door to cover the now-vacant space, and mounted the new TV on the door. I used hyd springs to support the door/TV when accessing behind the door.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #11

Quote:

Would this be worth checking into...
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263364236900