Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2005, 11:57 AM   #1

I recently posted about my shock problem, having lost a bushing in a front shock. From what I can tell, I can go with shocks from Monroe, or Bilstein. What have your experiences been, and what would you recommend? It is a 31ft class A 1993 F53 chassis. I frequently tow a trailer loaded with ATV's on Route 287 in NJ and Interstate 78 in PA. There are alot of potholes, bumps and joints in the concrete roadway.
Will either help reduce the swaying, or suction I feel when a big rig or bus passes me?

31ft Dutchmen Royal Classic
Rob Hentges is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2005, 11:57 AM   #2

I recently posted about my shock problem, having lost a bushing in a front shock. From what I can tell, I can go with shocks from Monroe, or Bilstein. What have your experiences been, and what would you recommend? It is a 31ft class A 1993 F53 chassis. I frequently tow a trailer loaded with ATV's on Route 287 in NJ and Interstate 78 in PA. There are alot of potholes, bumps and joints in the concrete roadway.
Will either help reduce the swaying, or suction I feel when a big rig or bus passes me?

Old 07-11-2005, 12:10 PM   #3

We replaced our OEM shocks with Monroe Gas RV shocks and have been extremely pleased. A significant improvement was noticed immediately.

While replacing the shocks I noticed that the front sway-bar bushings were rotted, with two of them completely missing. I replaced the black rubber OEM bushings (which are prone to failure) with red IPD bushings which give a firmer ride with less sway.

Finally, I replaced the OEM steering stabilizer (which had failed too) shock with a new Monroe steering stabilizer. After doing these three improvements our rig rides and drives like a dream. Passing trucks do not bother us, nor do bumpy roads.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #4

I forgot to add that our rig is similar to yours. We have a 1993 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 32 feet long, also on the F53 chassis.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:06 PM   #5

If the ride is a little stiff, go with Monroe but if your from axle ride is too soft go with Bilstien. They are both good quality shocks but Bilstiens are stiff when compared to Monroes.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:43 AM   #6

I ordered the monroe shocks & steering stabilizer. They should arrive today. If all goes well, I will install them prior to my trip this weekend on those same bad roads I mentioned. Hopefully I will notice a nice improvement.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:11 PM   #7

I started the job today. I replaced the shock that had the missing bushing. WOW, those bolts are hard to get out!! I had sprayed them with penetrating oil 24 hours before starting the job.
The steering stabilizer replacement was just a second thought. I figured I might as well do it since I'll be under there with all the tools. Boy am I glad I decided to replace the stabilizer. The OEM one had about the resistance of a screen door spring, along with a slightly bent piston and dents in the cylinder housing. Tomorrow I will tackle the driver side shock, which will be more difficult since there is less access to the upper bolt. I can't wait to see how it feels to drive after these improvements.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #8

Hi Rob,

Our OEM steering stabilizer was bad like yours; it had almost zero resistance.

Two of our four OEM shocks (I don't recall which two) were almost as bad. They had minimal resistance and were contributing nothing to ride stability.

Be sure to check your rubber sway-bar bushings as long as you're under there. Two of my OEM front sway-bar bushings were rotted and two of the bushings were completely gone.

I think you'll be very pleased with the improvement in ride stability and overall comfort. We noticed the difference immediately, and our rig is now a pleasure to drive.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:44 AM   #9

Tom,

I sure am pleased with the ride improvement. I wish I had replaced those shocks a long time ago. The rocking motion side-to-side has just about been eliminated. I didn't know my RV could feel so good to drive! Thanks for the recommendation on the Monroe Shocks.
The only problem I had was that my hub-cap cover must not have been put on tight enough. I lost it on the way home. My daughter saw it come off, but we were not able to retrieve it. Looks like I'll have to buy a replacement.

Old 07-27-2005, 05:44 AM   #10

Just a word of caution....If the hub cap came off it
may also mean your rim is flexing. Have a shop make sure the rims are torqued properly.

Most tire dealers suggest retorqued wheels after the first 100 miles or so following removal.
gordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #11

Gordon,
Thanks for the warning, but in this case I think it was faulty installation of the cover on my part. Since I bought this RV three years ago, the covers on the front have only been held on by one of the two fasteners. The other fastener just wouldn't catch the threads of the lug. I should have been more diligent and replaced the hardware on the simulator.

Old 08-06-2005, 06:23 AM   #12

Our 35' class a was a roller coaster.

I can't comment on the Bilstein vs Monroe because never used them. I can tell you that 4 new Monroe RV gas shocks made this coach a whole new rig to drive.

We did however put rebuild kits into the sway bar ends but my feeling is it's the HD shocks that make the difference.
gordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:17 AM   #13

I have used both (I was trying to toruble shoot a vibration, and I replaced my Bilsteins Monroe)
They both perform OK. Bilsteins are a little harder, which allows you better control, but certanly you feel more the street.
I kept the Bilsteins, and upgraded the tires so I could run lower preassure, IPD bushings, now it drives like a dream
Old 08-07-2005, 05:27 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
gordon23 & Map40 you both have been busy since joining irv2. Welcome to irv2 Alot of us do up grades to our coachs an you will find the info in "FIND" above you for questions that you may need an answer for. Enjoy your rigs an happy travels to you both. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote