RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #1
HGC

Residential refrigerator failure

We have a 2014 Tiffin 36LA and our Whirlpool fridge has failed. Seems it has lost it's charge. Two appliance techs said it has "bit the dust". My question is, has anyone experienced a residential fridge failure this early in a usual lifespan of a refrigerator. I have never had a total loss of coolant and consequentially a total failure in any fridge we owned and I'm 71 yrs old. Next step is replacement. But with what brand?
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2020, 01:13 PM   #2

I have a guess.... two coils that have vibrated against each other have rubbed a pin hole in the tubing and thus the loss of Freon... I would bet $50 if the same unit was in a home it would run for 20 years.... either installation or vibration made the coils touch and vibrate and wear the hole...

I know its not an answer.... but its my best guess as to why you have the failure... I'm going through almost the same problem right now with a roof air unit that has lost its Freon... its a sealed compressor like your fridge... and I can't find the leak... besides you have to cut open the line to service/repair... and than weld it closed... I've not found a sole who has that ability any more.... best of luck... my AC is on order...
Old 11-13-2020, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGC View Post
We have a 2014 Tiffin 36LA and our Whirlpool fridge has failed. Seems it has lost it's charge. Two appliance techs said it has "bit the dust". My question is, has anyone experienced a residential fridge failure this early in a usual lifespan of a refrigerator. I have never had a total loss of coolant and consequentially a total failure in any fridge we owned and I'm 71 yrs old. Next step is replacement. But with what brand?
Well Sir,
Residential fridges are being discussed on every RV forum on the planet. Most discussions pertain to folks changing from an RV type fridge to a residential one, like I just did. So, there's lots to think about when doing a change over.

But, you already are setup for it since your coach already had one. If you truly think your present fridge is dead, then, what you need to do is, determine the actual cabinet opening(s), i.e. width, height and depth. Then, you find which models of new residential fridges will fit your "Hole". Most fridges and openings are standard. Not all the same but, standard. If you list your opening sizes on here, I'm quite sure that there will be several folks responding with information pertaining to fridges that will fit and, what make and model and size they are.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

In our fixed site home we lost two near-new fridges in 4 years, so it does happen. One of them suffered major corrosion of the compressor and lines within the first year of warranty (luckily it was that soon!), which was attributed to the fact we had shut it off for 4 months. After the repair, the tech said "don't ever shut if off again and it will be fine; he was right - we still have that fridge 10 years later.

Your could have failed from road vibration or corrosion (RVs are damp and get wide temperature swings when not in use). Or maybe just luck of the draw - quality control on major appliances ain't what it used to be!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think Gary brings up a good point. We've had three DP's with a residential refer. All three ran 24/7/365, just like in our house. I know that some have to winterize/store their coaches, but I think I would avoid shutting one off unless you have to.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
HGC

refrigerator failure

Thanks for all the replies. All seem very valid especially about rubbing coils making a hole. So again, thanks for getting back to me.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
I have a guess.... two coils that have vibrated against each other have rubbed a pin hole in the tubing and thus the loss of Freon... I would bet $50 if the same unit was in a home it would run for 20 years.... either installation or vibration made the coils touch and vibrate and wear the hole...

I know its not an answer.... but its my best guess as to why you have the failure... I'm going through almost the same problem right now with a roof air unit that has lost its Freon... its a sealed compressor like your fridge... and I can't find the leak... besides you have to cut open the line to service/repair... and than weld it closed... I've not found a sole who has that ability any more.... best of luck... my AC is on order...
That is a simple repair. I have done it many times.
I have just retired at 74 and still mess around with refrigeration.
Got into the trade back in '74. Had a ball. The greatest trade out there bar none.
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Most modern fridges don't have much of a "coil" structure to rub anywhere; it's a fairly rigid grid of tubing under the bottom. It's possible there was some damage from a loose part, like maybe the compressor wasn't mounted tightly at the fridge factory, but I don't think that's a high probability. A certain percentage of fridges are going to suffer relatively early life failures, whether they are in RVs or houses. You may simply have bad luck and got one of them.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:34 AM   #9

At one time, a fridge would last 20 years, but not now. We had a Frigidaire supplied by the builder of our S&B home that died in less than a year. We went through two Whirlpools in 16 years we owned the house. Our next door neighbors in the RV park had their's die after just over a year. Why anyone thinks a residential fridge will last in an motorhome that actually does more than sit on a site all the time is beyond me. They are not made for that.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, residential refrigerator