Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #1

Retorquing Lug Nuts on Inside Duals

So just wondering, with the recommendations to re-torque lug nuts after "x" miles for a new vehicle, new wheels or after tire/wheel rotation, how many have ever gone to the trouble to re-torque their inside duals?
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #2

I do more than that, I check and torque them immediately upon arriving home after leaving the shop. Every time, every vehicle, every wheel, after someone else has removed and replaced a wheel.

I keep doing it because it's unusual to find them correctly torqued. From that I've learned that wheel lug torque may be less important than advertised; otherwise lost wheels would be found on roadsides everywhere.

And yes, I do check them again fifty or so miles later as recommended, and usually some will take a bit more tightening. Some won't, even on the same vehicle or wheel. So I think the guys that wrote the book know something.

I'm very particular about maintenance, and convinced it pays dividends. We travel a lot, and interruptions in our plans due to mechanical issues are nil.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982 View Post
So just wondering, with the recommendations to re-torque lug nuts after "x" miles for a new vehicle, new wheels or after tire/wheel rotation, how many have ever gone to the trouble to re-torque their inside duals?
I think both bud rims are on the same stud so the outside nuts torque both wheels on the dual..

Unless I don't understand what you are trying to say..
fasteddie313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:08 PM   #4

As mentioned .HM rear duals have only the single lug nut , personally I haven't seen the dual nut style used on a motorhome chassis.

I re torqued mine at 50 miles and again at 200.
450 ft.lbs.

Different chassis different torque .

What is your coach built on ?
Old 09-11-2018, 08:14 PM   #5

Ford E-450. So just a single set of outside lug nuts then?
Old 09-11-2018, 08:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
on 2000 (approx) and earlier the 22.5 rims and larger are called "Stud Piloted" and have inner and outer wheel nuts. You can see the difference in the wheel and the inner stud has a square for install and removal. These older wheels where more susceptible to loosening, they also came in right hand and left hand thread for each side of the vehicle. So to answer the OP unless your rig has the "stud piloted" wheels there are no inside wheel torque required.
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Ford E-450. So just a single set of outside lug nuts then?
Correct , check your owners manual for torque spec , or have a close look at the lug nuts , it might be stamped into them .
E-350's had it there.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdzl View Post
on 2000 (approx) and earlier the 22.5 rims and larger are called "Stud Piloted" and have inner and outer wheel nuts. You can see the difference in the wheel and the inner stud has a square for install and removal. These older wheels where more susceptible to loosening, they also came in right hand and left hand thread for each side of the vehicle. So to answer the OP unless your rig has the "stud piloted" wheels there are no inside wheel torque required.
That info saved me the trouble of pulling up on blocks and pulling a wheel. Many thanks.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Correct , check your owners manual for torque spec , or have a close look at the lug nuts , it might be stamped into them .
E-350's had it there.
Thanks. Even more impressive is your +16,000 posts. Can't begin to calculate the number of folks you must have helped out. Good on ya!
Old 09-11-2018, 11:43 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Was reading about some having to use sledge to get duals off the hub, some pulling off, some with chains/ tractors, but not yet had mine off; I had a Kawasaki Mule I could not even get off or even budge after all lugs removed. But, I have also heard (not seen) that 18-wheelers have separate lugs for inners and outers?... just suspect that does NOT apply to 16-inch Ford 8-lug LT rims? Experience Anyone?
Old 09-12-2018, 05:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdzl View Post
I have run both Budd and hub-piloted wheels, and more miles than RVs are likely to run. The only time I had lugs loose with the double nut system was when I removed the outer wheel and did not tighten the inner before putting back on. OTOH, hub piloted sometimes gave me trouble if I did not torque to spec, and in the right pattern

Quote:
That info saved me the trouble of pulling up on blocks and pulling a wheel. Many thanks.
No matter what nut system you use, you do not want to do this. It was proven to cause problems sometime in the '80s...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Was reading about some having to use sledge to get duals off the hub, some pulling off, some with chains/ tractors, but not yet had mine off; I had a Kawasaki Mule I could not even get off or even budge after all lugs removed. But, I have also heard (not seen) that 18-wheelers have separate lugs for inners and outers?... just suspect that does NOT apply to 16-inch Ford 8-lug LT rims? Experience Anyone?
It is a good idea to use anti-seize on the contact points.
After I torque, drive check enough times they stop moving I use nail polish to make a mark where the nuts meet wheel. That way I can see if they start to back off..
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
This is the seperate nut, dual wheel lug.

The larger nut screws on the stud, holding the inner wheel on. You use a square socket to install.

The normal looking nut goes over it, holding the outer wheel on.

I've seen right and left hand thread types, once on the same wheel of an old truck crane.
Name:   09-202003_n.jpeg
Views: 509
Size:  3.3 KB

Name:   09-202006_n.jpeg
Views: 510
Size:  5.9 KB
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
This is the seperate nut, dual wheel lug.

The larger nut screws on the stud, holding the inner wheel on. You use a square socket to install.

The normal looking nut goes over it, holding the outer wheel on.

I've seen right and left hand thread types, once on the same wheel of an old truck crane.
The picture is the old Budd system. Left hand thread was on the left side of vehicle. Of course the inner studs where interchangeable, and so are the hubs.
With this system you never had any trouble with wheel seizing to hub because the tightest fit was at the bell of nuts. The later wheels have a tight fit hub/center hole. They can be hard to get off...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
The picture is the old Budd system. Left hand thread was on the left side of vehicle. Of course the inner studs where interchangeable, and so are the hubs.
With this system you never had any trouble with wheel seizing to hub because the tightest fit was at the bell of nuts. The later wheels have a tight fit hub/center hole. They can be hard to get off...
Yup, we would stick a porta power between the spring and wheel and force them off.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote