Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 11:56 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ride and Handling

Just got back from a trip with our 2017 Jayco Seneca. Getting very concerned about the very rough ride and the way our coach handles on the rough roads.
I am looking for information from anyone who has upgraded from a Super C to a Class A and can compare the ride quality. We are thinking about an upgrade and want first hand info because I'm sure that a salesman would assure us that the Class A will ride smoother that ours does.
Thanks for the intel!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
The only way for you to determine if a class A rides better than your current rig is to go drive some. Do you know anyone in your area with a class A that would let you do that? Nobody has your keester except you. And this is all about seat of the pants information, isn't it?
Old 09-24-2020, 04:52 PM   #3

A Class A with air suspension (usually a diesel pusher) should be a better ride than your Class C. But that is a usually a big jump in size and price.

A Class A on a Ford F53 chassis and V-10 front engine is going to ride pretty much the same as your Class C.

On either, you may be able to improve the ride with sumo springs and or upgraded shocks.

As said above - you will probably need to find a Class A that fits your needs and drive it some to see if it rides the way you want.

Jim
Carnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #4

I had a 1985 Tioga, 26 feet on a E350 chassis.... for thirty years. I have no other comparison but I can`t imagine a worse handling vehicle. Two years ago I "upgraded" to a 27' class A coach on a 2007 F53 chassis. The "new" class A felt far more planted and responded to driver input in a more predictable way. The previous owner had added handling upgrades. The ride was very harsh however, and I eventually went with a Kelderman 2-stage air ride system. The overall difference between the old Tioga and the "new" class A is night and day. I guess its all about perspective.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:06 PM   #5

First thing to look at when complaining about a harsh ride is tire inflation pressures. It's always best if the tires are inflated to the load they carry based on actually weighing a fully loaded coach and comparing that weight to the tire manufacturer published documents. Many are surprised at difference that makes.

But to answer your question, the ride in our diesel pusher is smooth enough my copilot of 47 years doesn't complain about it at all. So it must be smooth!!!

Besides that the coach is quiet enough so we can easily hold a conversation.... even with my diminished ability to hear!.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:36 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Agree re the tire pressures - odds are they are too high.

Does your Seneca have the J-Ride Premium package? It includes rear air suspension and air brake, upgraded shocks, etc. and is part of the "Customer Value package. Nearly all Senecas have it unless it was a stripped down model, e.g. in a rental fleet, but it's worth checking.
https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/...s-and-options/

A gas-chassis class A won't ride any better, but a quality diesel pusher might. A lot of it depends on how the coach builder configured the chassis - an overloaded suspension is still overloaded, whether its an A, B, or C.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
A guy with a Thor Four Winds Super C 35SB recently posted “Our ride in our Super C is not as smooth as our Diesel Pusher was.” Need road conditions so we can plan a smoother ride.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfixer1 View Post
Just got back from a trip with our 2017 Jayco Seneca. Getting very concerned about the very rough ride and the way our coach handles on the rough roads.

I am looking for information from anyone who has upgraded from a Super C to a Class A and can compare the ride quality. We are thinking about an upgrade and want first hand info because I'm sure that a salesman would assure us that the Class A will ride smoother that ours does.

Thanks for the intel!

My opinion most class A gassers ride pretty much the same cause it’s a truck chassis. No class A diesel pushers ride the same because the are all different in design such as air bags, IFS, how many air bags, tag axle, chassis are built to manufactures spec for a MH not run down a assembly line to make delivery trucks. I would do your home work on chassis regarding ride and tow capacity which also will be a big one.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Most big trucks have a air ride seat for a reason as you are finding out. Bostrom makes most of them ($800-1000) and 2 of them may help as trading is going to be $$$$$.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote