Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2022, 04:47 PM   #1

Road service failure

I was on a solo trip in my Class C Prism and on major highway, in a major city in California on May 1. My TST monitor started beeping (fortunately!) that I had a fast leak. I was able to easily get off at an exit and go into a 24/7 Mobil station - so I was safely off the road. The Mobile station only had fuel pump & store attendees so I called AAA and requested service (my first time in 48 years of membership to call them). To make a long story short, AAA never came and I had to call my son and wife to come help change a tire. Got home 8 hours later! Went to AAA next day and got a run-around beginning with "this never happens." Now, six weeks later, the run-around continues.

I'd be interested in knowing: 1) have you experienced this with AAA?, 2) Do you use some other service like Good Sam or some insurance company that has shown better results? and 3) Are you prepared to change your own tires should something like this happens? 4) Any other thoughts?
Roger
siminoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2022, 04:59 PM   #2

So sorry that happened to you. Did you call them more than once? I have never had them fail me so your post surprised me. I hear a lot of good things about Coachnet, but I'm sure other will have some input. I am usually ready to change my own tires and have done so, but I'm getting up in years and those tires seem to be heavier.
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:26 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your recent problem with AAA. I had them for my cars years ago and I dropped them. Poor service. I have had CoachNet on my RV’s for the last 13 years and they do exactly what I need them to do. Customer service is excellent and their on line tech support has helped me many times.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
AAA is primarily for autos/pickups and don't have a good track record with MHs. I've had good luck with GS, but dropped them due to constantly raising prices. Now have FMCA....haven't needed them yet...fortunately.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with AAA. I've been towed 3 times, once for Class C and twice for my Class A. Multiple tows, flat tires, and key problems on our auto's.

Haven't had to use AAA for anything else on the motorhome but it says right on the web site they will only change a mounted tire. Will not mount a tire on a rim. I carry a mounted tire just because of this.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:48 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I have had CoachNet on my RV’s for the last 13 years and they do exactly what I need them to do. Customer service is excellent and their on line tech support has helped me many times.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	368863
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:52 AM   #7

One thing this incident taught me was to be prepared to change a tire myself. I'm 81, but I'm sure with my wife's help we could do it in a pinch. It seemed that the biggest problem my son had (when AAA didn't show and he came to change the tire) was breaking loose the wheel nuts. (I do keep a breaker bar and torque wrench on board to check wheel nuts, but breaking them loose was still tough - complicated by how far inboard the wheels were.) Got solve the problem, I purchased a portable impact wrench (driver) and will charge it before each trip. And, since we did have to do it ourselves I now have insight on how to jack the Springer chassis, pull the spare, etc. Epilog: I just got a letter from AAA saying "sorry you had a service problem ... thanks for your continued membership." And, it was a form letter without name of the sender. Really???? Roger
siminoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:58 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have used Coach.net for many years (+20), and have had to use them a few times. Will even come to my house and change a tire on my car.
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:14 AM   #9

We have AAA and Good Sam but I have not thought about calling AAA for the motorhome. I wonder if something happens would it be a good idea to call both? Probably not. Have not had to use Good Sam yet, going into our 3rd year but have used AAA about 3 times over 25 years and they were always prompt, even on one Christmas Day when we had a tire failure on the pickup on I-25 North of Hatch, NM.
So for smaller MH issues like tires and batteries I'd probably have to decide which one to call. I am perfectly capable of changing tires on my Sprinter chassis though and have done it at home. The Sprinter chassis can be tricky to jack up with a floor jack without damaging something so I am well versed in the proper way to do it, the factory bottle jack placed in the designated lift points actually works very well for tire changing.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:20 AM   #10

I had Coach-net let me down too.... when they finally sent help, they were incompetent. Below is my letter to the CEO/Owner of Coachnet.

Subject: 29 Hours waiting for a tow

Mr. Ostlund,

Yes, we were on the side of the road for 29 hours and this was no rural country road. It was US 1 in Maimi-Dade county Florida with cars and trucks whizzing by at 60-80 mph literally a few feet from the side of our motorhome. To say I'm disappointed in the service and response from Coach-Net would be an understatement.

On Friday December 3rd we left our home in Apollo Beach, Fl to spend a few nights at Key Largo before going to Key West. At about 14:00 my coolant temperature rapidly rose and the alarm went off. I moved to the side of the road. This was at Mile Marker 122 on US1 south of Homestead, FL. The infamous 18 mile stretch. The road here is a narrow 2 lane highway with the lanes separated by Jersey barriers. The shoulder is very narrow and in many places not even wide enough for a car, fortunately I was able to find a spot that we could actually get out of the travel lane by about 5 feet without sinking into the mud .

After assessing the situation and finding a catastrophic water pump failure, I call Coach-Net at 14:30 for assistance.
The first person I spoke to asked a few questions and then passed me to a technical staff member. We discussed the situation and he said he would get a tow truck to the scene. I was told it would be about an hour before the truck would arrive. Well, that wasn't even close. At 19:30, a full 5 hours later, a truck shows up, the driver looks at the situation and says he isn't able to tow a motorhome due to the configuration of his truck.

I call back Coach-Net and after some discussion they start to try to find another tow truck. After a few more hours, they decide that it would be good to inform the Florida Highway Patrol of our situation. A trooper comes by and provides visibility to the oncoming traffic with his emergency lights. Another tow company was finally dispatched and when they got to the scene the driver said he could not tow from the front, but would tow from the rear by raising the coach by the trailer hitch. I told him and pointed out the label on the hitch, that the hitch was rated at 1000 lbs tongue weight capacity and that the coach weighs 42000 lbs and that there was no way I was going to allow him to even attempt to do that. If I hadn't stopped him, I'm sure there would have been tens of thousands of dollars damage. He left and soon afterwards, the trooper had to leave . It was now after 03:00 Saturday...over 12 hours since I called in the issue.

I called Coach-Net again. They decided there was nothing to do at this late hour and would resume their (feeble) efforts in the morning. I was told I'd be contacted at 07:00 .

07:00 comes and goes and a little after 08:00 I get a call and they are going to resume trying to find a wrecker. I was promised call backs on status, but never received them. I had to call back myself to find out what was going on. Finally at 16:30 Saturday a couple of guys show up and said they had it under control. These guys were super professional, efficient and demonstrated outstanding team work. After a short period of time, during which they showed me what they were doing, they had us all hooked up and ready to go. But, as we were staring to pull out, one of their airbags on the rear axle failed and in interest of safety, they decided to unhook and drive back to the shop to get another truck.

They returned with a different truck and reattached the motorhome and we were finally off the side of the road at 19:30 Saturday. A full 29 hours after the time I called in for assistance.

When we got to the repair shop they backed us into position and unhooked. As I was thanking them for their outstanding service , I asked why they hadn't been called earlier. They told me that they were not on Coach-Net's vendor list and were called in only in dire situations. These guys were by far the best. You should have them at the top of the list for towing large RV's. They are Edwin and Kevin from American Eagle Towing. The other companies that showed up should be removed from your vendor list.

The reason I am sending this letter to you is to make sure you are aware of how poorly this call for emergency assistance was handled and that hopefully you will take corrective actions to prevent this from happening to someone else.

Some thoughts to consider :

- make sure the vendor you dispatch understands what is being towed and make sure they have the equipment to do so.

- the second tow operator obviously had no experience in towing a motorhome and if he had tried to tow from the trailer hitch as he had wanted to do, he would have caused extensive damage. It is likely that if it had been another person in my situation they might have taken him for his word and their motorhome would have been destroyed. You need to thoroughly vet your vendors to help prevent unnecessary damage.

- we were in a potentially very dangerous situation on a heavily traveled road. Police notification by your team should not have taken over 10 hours.

- When your staff says they are going to call back in a certain period of time, they need to do so. Other than a couple times when they did call back as promised, in general, I had to call back and wait on hold to get status.

- Scrub your vendor list. You obviously have incompetent service providers that are wasting your time, my time and their time and at the same time destroying your reputation as a quality service provider.

- A 29 hour wait to get EMERGENCY service is not acceptable under any circumstances.

Try to put yourself in the situation that we were in and see what your reactions would have been.

I look forward to your response.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've never had a problem with AAA. We have a very good plan through them but can't remember what it's called. They fixed a flat on the road for me several years ago in our class c- fast and excellent work. They also have a battery truck that will swap yours and at a competitive price. We've been happy over many years with them. Sorry about your experience. I'd like to know what other "run around" is still happening.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:58 AM   #12

I have had hit and miss with AAA over the years but I'm still a member. None of my incidents have been motorhome related, just passenger car, which is scary.

For some reason, they send the wrong tow truck on two occasions.

-New Ranger Rover would not start. AAA sent a tow truck to drag the RR out of the garage.... I said 'absolutely not'! Finally, the Land Rover dealer came to the house with a top tech guy. There was a computer update done at the dealer and all he needed to do was disconnect the negative battery cable to reset.... all was good with the world.

-I had an antique car that started leaking fuel from the carb when I tried to start it. Called AAA and the minute that I mentioned fuel leak the female person said that we can't dispatch on a fuel leak. I explained that the car was not leaking fuel continuously, only when I would try to start it. She said I have to call the fire dept...... what an idiot.

I slammed the phone down and called the wrecker myself to take the car to the repair shop.

-Another time, I misplaced my keys to my Honda in Quartzsite, AZ, at the big RV rally. I called AAA and they said they had no vendors to help me.

-Most recently, my battery was dead on my '17 Lincoln MKX. They sent a tow truck to drag the car out of the garage.... again, a big NO!

AAA sent another tow truck with the same issue (no dolly). They just didn't listen to me that I didn't want the car dragged as it has 4 wheel drive and I couldn't take the car out of park because of no power (push button transmission).

Finally, a tow truck with the dolly came to take it to the dealer. The battery had a bad cell and would not start at first but they did start to take it out of the garage long enough so that it could be put on the dolly system. I would have had the battery replaced but AAA said that they could not get the type of battery I needed for 6 months...... thats why it had to go to the dealer.

A couple of times AAA has come through but I really believe I could do all the calling myself to get the right equipment to do the job.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:58 PM   #13

I tried to go "cheap" once and added MH towing to my Progressive insurance policy. In 2018 I had a rear blowout of an outside dual and fortunately was right at an exit ramp so limped into a parking lot. Called the Progressive number for road service and the "teenage sounding girl" that answered literally did not know what a motorhome was. After I mentioned things like a bus that is a camper and she kind of acted like she might comprehend, she then tried contacting RV sales dealerships in the area...and on a Saturday evening! I told her I needed a heavy truck....think semi...tow/repair 24 hr. service to bring out a very large new tire, remove the old tire from the rim, then mount the new tire and put it back on the motorhome. After 45 minutes on the phone with this untrained, incompetent individual, I gave up and told her thanks, but I'll take care of it myself as I needed to get repaired and moving again. I checked for locally available trucker services and called Pomps. 45 minutes later I was on my way, but not before I was online from the MH signed up for Good Sam service. Since then I have switched to Coach-net because I read the fewest number of horror stories about their service. I've never personally had to use them yet.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
I tried to go "cheap" once and added MH towing to my Progressive insurance policy. In 2018 I had a rear blowout of an outside dual and fortunately was right at an exit ramp so limped into a parking lot. Called the Progressive number for road service and the "teenage sounding girl" that answered literally did not know what a motorhome was. After I mentioned things like a bus that is a camper and she kind of acted like she might comprehend, she then tried contacting RV sales dealerships in the area...and on a Saturday evening! I told her I needed a heavy truck....think semi...tow/repair 24 hr. service to bring out a very large new tire, remove the old tire from the rim, then mount the new tire and put it back on the motorhome. After 45 minutes on the phone with this untrained, incompetent individual, I gave up and told her thanks, but I'll take care of it myself as I needed to get repaired and moving again. I checked for locally available trucker services and called Pomps. 45 minutes later I was on my way, but not before I was online from the MH signed up for Good Sam service. Since then I have switched to Coach-net because I read the fewest number of horror stories about their service. I've never personally had to use them yet.
I had the complete opposite with my State Farm Roadside Assistance. When I called they looked up my file, stated the correct length, width height and weight of my coach. Then they said we will send an appropriate sized truck to tow you. And they did. That addition to my policy cost me <$10 per year.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service