Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2005, 12:20 PM   #1

Just bought our first new rig (had previously owned 2 used already equipped) and are for the first time going to be pulling a toad. Our rig, class A Winnebago, does not have any flaps or guards on the back. Does anyone have any advice as to which types work better and how much they impact gas mileage? Or would we be better off to put a protector or guard in front of our toad? or both? Any ideas appreciated!
Herkyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2005, 12:20 PM   #2

Just bought our first new rig (had previously owned 2 used already equipped) and are for the first time going to be pulling a toad. Our rig, class A Winnebago, does not have any flaps or guards on the back. Does anyone have any advice as to which types work better and how much they impact gas mileage? Or would we be better off to put a protector or guard in front of our toad? or both? Any ideas appreciated!
Herkyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 04:01 AM   #3

Not knowing just what you have. But my 2001 Adventurer only has mud flaps that do judt fine. You have to watch the Rock Gaurd or anything like it. If mounted too low. They will hit the road way and flip up stones. I used to have them on my past MoHo's. Just mud flaps now.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 07:36 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Herkyflyer
I have the mud flap accross the back of my RV and it does not protect the tow car very much at all. I have cracked windshield and get those little stones all over the car when we go through the road construction areas. I will be looking into alternate means to protect the car one this 7 month road trip is over, but for now I cannot offer any better ideas and would look forward to hearing from anyone else on this subject.
Safe Travels
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have both. The rear wheel mudflaps do a good job of catching stones but the solid rubber mudflap helps quite a bit too. The big mudflap is better suited to keeping the toad clean and protecting against other debris but it does pick up "straggler" stones as well. It is important that they aren't hung too low though or else if you travel a gravel road and it bounces off the gravel it'll scoop the stones up and send them all over the place. We were gald we had it on last month when we hit a big raccoon in the road a few miles from our campground with the right-rear dual. It made a huge thud. When we arrived at the campground and took a look the steel brackets on the mudflap were bent pretty good and there was blood and "stuff" all over. If we wouldn't have had the mud guard on the toad would've suffered badly. I managed to straighten it out (after steam cleaning it ) and it's good as new again.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:50 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hi -

With regards to the comments about "not mounting the rock-guard too low", what is a suggested height to mount the guard? I looked on all three of my tape-measures (and even a freebie yardstick, just in case) and none of them have a "too low" marking on them!

I'd guess every instance is a bit different, but would it average 2"... 4"... 7"... or what?

I've had the kit in my garage for over 2 years now, but never installed it becauue of what I've read about the potential to make the situation worse rather than curing it. Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:01 AM   #7

The instructions in my Rock Solid kit recommended 4".
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, abarkl. Now there's an idea I should remember to try more often... reading the manual.

Have you noticed any more/less rock-damage at the 4" level?

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:09 AM   #9

My toad is on a newer two dolly and do I have rock damage from before the guard that I need to sand and repaint. I probably won't notice any new damage if it occurs until I remove the old.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:23 AM   #10

Our MH just has short mud flaps behind each wheel. We priced the front covers you can buy then decided to make our own. Got some marine quality vinyl and designed and sewed it to covered the hood. A second piece covers the front windshield. We have towed for over 25000 miles now without problems. Took 3-4 hours and cost about $50 Can.
It was not a hard job.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:48 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have short mud flaps behind each rear wheel (came standard from Fleetwood), and I added a Rock Solid across the back of the MH. It hangs about 8" off the pavement. I tow a Wrangler on 31" tires, and have not seen any damage - yet, but I've only towed for a couple thousand miles.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:06 AM   #12

We used the Protect-A-Tow on our Allegro Bay gasser and it works great. Just drove from Alaska to FL without a single ding or scratch on our full-size pickup toad. It also keeps the backup camera lens clear for a lot longer in the rain.
Check it out at:
http://www.protectatow.com

It works well on gassers and some DP's with side-exiting exhausts, but not on rear exhaust DP's. My new DP has rear exhaust and I need to figure out how to modify it to work. In the interim I guess I'll just have to use a regular rock guard...

Good luck!
Dave

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote