Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #1

Rodent Repellent

I thought I'd pass this on to you all.. It's the only thing that has worked for me... so far!

The little bastrads had a smorgasbord of escargo under the intake and droppings all over the engine. They hadn't gotten into the interior, thank goodness

Had the same problem in my truck which is parked in the driveway

I tried everything I could possibly try:

Traps, glue traps, lights, the electric buzz, cab fresh, washing the entire area with bleach and last resort poison

nothing worked for the rodents but I did trap 2 birds

I got a little energenic one day and again vacuumed and cleaned the area

I mounted several lights, one directed at the valley under the intake and more draped across the top of the manifold, basically lighting up the whole area

Then I sprayed a coat of WD-40 over everything

Since that treatment they have returned briefly just once (found a poop or 2) and no signs of residency or snails

Did the same thing to the truck with the same results

I don't know if it's the smell or the oily surface but at this point I don't care... it 's working!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #2

I have always advocated the pop in a pie pan. They drink it, and, since they can't burp, they simply explode. Not harmful to dogs and cats. But, you've got birds!!

Now, I'm going to recommend a bit different approach.

Snag a 5 gallon pail, a wooden dowel to fit across the pail, and a pop bottle, 16 or 20 oz, doesn't matter. Some RV antifreeze and peanut butter too.

Poke a hole in the bottom of the pop bottlle, insert the wooden dowel, Coat the bottle with the peanut butter. Lay the dowel and bottle across the top of the pail. Pour about 2" of RV antifreeze into the bottom of the pail. TAADAA!!!! You're done!

Set under vehicle, don't have to worry too much about dogs and cats getting into it from there. Birds shouldn't be a problem either. The mice are drawn to the peanut butter, it is like the old Tom and Jerry cartoons, be very quick,where Jerry is wisping through the air, drawn by a smell, the mice will come. They will put their feet on the bottle, and when it turns, which will be very quick, they will lose their balance and fall into the pail of antifreeze and drown.Piece of cake! :-) ( Sorry DW is watching a "Vegas Cake" show on the tv.)
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:58 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you want to up your game a little, try a couple of drops of vanilla mixed in with the peanut butter.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandSA View Post
I have always advocated the pop in a pie pan. They drink it, and, since they can't burp, they simply explode. Not harmful to dogs and cats. But, you've got birds!!

Now, I'm going to recommend a bit different approach.

Snag a 5 gallon pail, a wooden dowel to fit across the pail, and a pop bottle, 16 or 20 oz, doesn't matter. Some RV antifreeze and peanut butter too.

Poke a hole in the bottom of the pop bottlle, insert the wooden dowel, Coat the bottle with the peanut butter. Lay the dowel and bottle across the top of the pail. Pour about 2" of RV antifreeze into the bottom of the pail. TAADAA!!!! You're done!

Set under vehicle, don't have to worry too much about dogs and cats getting into it from there. Birds shouldn't be a problem either. The mice are drawn to the peanut butter, it is like the old Tom and Jerry cartoons, be very quick,where Jerry is wisping through the air, drawn by a smell, the mice will come. They will put their feet on the bottle, and when it turns, which will be very quick, they will lose their balance and fall into the pail of antifreeze and drown.Piece of cake! :-) ( Sorry DW is watching a "Vegas Cake" show on the tv.)

I like it!!

next on my list of things to do!!
Old 12-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I just use my AR-15 and pop a cap on them!
Old 12-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Do it yourself mouse trap

Old 12-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #7

Boy. now that was quick to catch the critters. I'll stick with d-Con.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Boy. now that was quick to catch the critters. I'll stick with d-Con.
I'd like to use D Con but on the wet side of the mountains, you can't find it
Old 12-06-2017, 07:10 AM   #9

While I have no proof, or experience one way or another, I have read that using a baited trap for rodents as a deterrent may actually draw rodents that otherwise would not be around, to the snack, and create a rodent problem that wouldn't have been otherwise.

Just something to think about..........

Regards,
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
You can get it from Amazon if/when you really need it. Our son & daughter-in-law bought a house near Portland, OR last year. It was infested with the little turds! We couldn't find d-Con anywhere local. So, ordered it and had it at the house in 2 days.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
You can get it from Amazon if/when you really need it. Our son & daughter-in-law bought a house near Portland, OR last year. It was infested with the little turds! We couldn't find d-Con anywhere local. So, ordered it and had it at the house in 2 days.

Great, I'll check Amazon
Old 12-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee. I hired Alex.. Alex is not only a professional Rodent Exterminator but he knows how to cuddle.. And Purr. and he runs on cat food and love.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Tomcat works better IMO, and you may buy it in pet-safe disposable bait stations too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:11 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been using a combination of strobe lights and dryer sheets. Nothing to really attract the critters, just repel them. Have two types of strobe lights. Some are 12 volt lights like used for emergency vehicles and some are 120 volt DJ style strobes. No more mice since I started doing this.

I also believe what works in one place may or may not work equally well somewhere else. You're mileage may vary.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote