Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #1

Location: Will let you know as soon as I see what\'s around that next corner!
The ClearCoat on my "New to me" '99 Magna is blistered and peeling... New ClearCoat is out of the question financially so I am thinking of removing the clear coat, polishing the roof, and applying a UV inhibiting Wax or other product...

1.) Is there a product that will soften the Clearcoat and make removal easier?

2.) What is the best product to use to clean and polish the gelcoat on the fiberglass roof?

3.) What is the best product to apply to inhibit or reflect the UV rays?

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

Buck
k7wn, '99 Magna #5653, 385hp Cat C10, Allison HD4060, Santa Fe toad
Texigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure you have a metal roof but try this LINK.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #3

Thanks 007... will klik on the link and poke around over there...

Roof on the Magna is one piece fiberglas... no leaks at all, just the clearcoat peeling off... should have mentioned in my original post that the clearcoat on front, back and sides is in fine shape... only peeling on the roof.

Buck
Old 02-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
only peeling on the roof
Are you saying the entire roof has full-body clear coat paint?? ...that would be quite unusual. Normally the front and rear caps and side cove (curves) are painted and clear coated, but the roof itself is just normal gelcoat fiberglass (normally white).

I had to have the top or my front cap and side roof coves repainted due to clear coat peeling ...that seems to be a problem with several manufacturers. I doubt you will find a solution to treat peeled clear coat areas that will make you happy. The paint has no shine without clear coat.

Experienced painters told me the only way to remove the peeling clear coat was to sand it all and repaint. You might head it off for a bit, but the only REAL solution is to have it re-painted.

BUT, if you are talking about gelcoat fiberglass rather than full-body paint, you need to get some fiberglass restoration experts to chime in.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #5

Really,what would happen if you were physically unable to get up on your roof for the next five years,how would your life suffer.So, the clearcoat is peeling,I won't tell anyone and you are welcome to camp beside me.Get on with life,wash the roof once a year and enjoy your rig;that's what you bought it for!

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #6

Yep Paul, the entire roof was clearcoated... but now the roof clearcoat is blistered and peeling... Under the clearcoat is the white gelcoat. Don't want to repair the clearcoat, want to remove it completely, clean and polish the gelcoat and put on something to protect the roof from UV rays... surely there is a wax out there somewhere that offers some kind of UV protection... The clearcoat on the front, rear, and sides is in fine shape... Only the roof is peeling... I posted photos of the Magna in the photo section, but they don't show the peeling roof... Take a look when you have time.

Buck

Quote:
Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">only peeling on the roof
Are you saying the entire roof has full-body clear coat paint?? ...that would be quite unusual. Normally the front and rear caps and side cove (curves) are painted and clear coated, but the roof itself is just normal gelcoat fiberglass (normally white).

I had to have the top or my front cap and side roof coves repainted due to clear coat peeling ...that seems to be a problem with several manufacturers. I doubt you will find a solution to treat peeled clear coat areas that will make you happy. The paint has no shine without clear coat.

Experienced painters told me the only way to remove the peeling clear coat was to sand it all and repaint. You might head it off for a bit, but the only REAL solution is to have it re-painted.

BUT, if you are talking about gelcoat fiberglass rather than full-body paint, you need to get some fiberglass restoration experts to chime in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #7

ex I was under the impression that the fiberglas roof needs protection from UV rays... If it doesn't, I will be happy to follow your advice and start enjoying life... You can't even tell the roof is peeling unless you climb up on top...

How do you like the CRV?

Buck

Quote:
Originally posted by exrench:
Really,what would happen if you were physically unable to get up on your roof for the next five years,how would your life suffer.So, the clearcoat is peeling,I won't tell anyone and you are welcome to camp beside me.Get on with life,wash the roof once a year and enjoy your rig;that's what you bought it for!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #8

Tex;I like your learning curve and the adoption of the "New Philisophy"I visit my roof once a year to check the integrity of all caulking. The CRV is a decent car,easy for DW to enter with her arthritic knees.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #9

Thanks ex... just need to take your advice and enjoy life... looking for a toad, and considering the CRV... but don't want to get too far off subject...

Buck