Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #1

Roof epdm

Has any one recoated there epdm roof with koolseal ksrv08300. I did in nov 2016 and went by the instructions on the can. I notice in oct 2017 more than 50% came off i talked to rep and he ask did you use the base coat gray i said nothing on the can has those instructions. The rep got back and said they would replace the 2 gal they did and the instructions are the same as the item i got in 2016. Now i have
2 gal and dont know what to do and nether do they. Any one had the same problem. Fleetwood flair 1991 good old ford motor.
TUCK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Koolseal RV is compatible with Dicor EPDM but your Fleetwood rig has an Alpha brand EPDM on the roof. The chemical composition is slightly different and most roof coatings (other than Alpha's own) will specify use of a primer over Alpha EPDM. You should also use a primer if the existing roof doesn't clean up well or has any chemical residue on it, e.g. from nearby smokestack industries or a previous silicone coating.

I don't know about what's on the can for EPDM coating, but the installation instruction document provided on the Koolseal website specifies use of their gray primer before coating EPDM. Click on the PDS icon on their page (https://www.koolseal.com/product/rv-...c-finish-coat/) and it takes you to this document that says to always use the primer on any EPDM:

https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPD...ype=PDS&lang=2
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. When i purchased the item from cardi i had talked to a rep and he told me to go by the instructions on the can and i did to a t.
Now that i have 2 new cans i went to kooseal site and it says use the primer. I have been trying to get it at no cost to me because that info should be on the can.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
They cannot put separate instructions on the can for every scenario. I don't think I ever saw a can of paint with very precise instructions on it. You are also talking about coating a 27 year old roof that had a life expectancy of 15 years so just coating over it may not be enough to make it reliable.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #5

Has not leaked in 27 years was done 12 yrs ago. If you buy a product the instructions should be with the item and not only that i was told go by the instructions on the can and the web page says use a primer who is at fault
Old 01-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When i purchased the item from cardi i had talked to a rep and he told me to go by the instructions on the can and i did to a t.
Who is "cardi"? Was that rep from the retailer or Koolseal Coatings? I agree that whoever told you to "follow the instructions on the can" shares some of the blame, but if it was just a store or phone clerk/rep, you can't really rely on the advice.

The current Koolseal RV product is a two coat system, a gray base coat and a white top coat. I'm guessing you only bought the top coat, and that the top coat can instructions only describes applying the top coating and doesn't mention that it is part of a two-coat system. Reading the advertising on the Koolseal website, I can see that the base coat specifies that a top coat is required, but the top coat prose doesn't even mention a base. Kind of a trap for the uninformed buyer (and sales clerks).
Old 01-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #7

You hit the nail on the head your statement is all correct. Its a trap. It was a phone rep and its a trap buy the coating put it on and it comes off the you find out its a two coat system. At lease all i have to do now is buy the grey base coat. They did replace the 2 gal i purchased.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You will still need to remove as much of the coating as possible before recoating. Whatever is left will come off eventually. The primer will stick to the failed coating but cannot make that coating stick to the roof.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Kind of a trap for the uninformed buyer (and sales clerks).
It would be hard to use the Excuse of not being informed with the internet. Anyone could search and read about anything. You could even get the manufacturers phone number to confirm anything a sales rep would tell you.

If the OP had payed for the installation, and it failed as described, then the installer would be at fault for using the product incorrectly. But, when you are the purchaser and installer, the blames lies solely with you.
You have to do your homework. With sites such as this, there is an endless stream of information available. All you have to do is read it.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I mostly agree, fyrflie, but in this case the correct info was actually rather hard to find. I knew what I was looking for and am skilled at internet searches, but still had to work hard to find it.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #11

Used Dyco system on my old Fleetwood. It took 3days and was down forever. Start with a washdown and drying of roof, apply the primer, mix 2 part finish coat and apply. Cost me $400 for materials for a 32’ roof.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:19 AM   #12

Getting ready to do mime. Dicor clearly says "part 1" and "part 2" . I didn't want to skimp at all on the coating and have heard great things about this product[ATTACH]20404 ]204042
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1527157002032.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	204041   Click image for larger version

Name:	1527157173032.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	204042  

iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:23 AM   #13

Roof epdm

Great product, don’t forget the washdown and primer before you use this product. The primer takes almost a day to cure, itself. I used a paint mixer and drill to get this properly distributed.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #14

[emoji106]
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof