RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #1

Roof Sealant

Time for some touchup on my fiberglass roof. Looking in the owners manual, in one place it says

"Roof: Manus-Bond/API Polyurethane
This product is used for large roof openings
such as around vents, skylights, any roof
mounted antennas and ladder roof mounts."

Then where it has a drawing of the roof, and shows all these openings, it says

"Typical Roof Layout:
Inspect each item for sealant integrity. Acryl-R is used as a roof sealant."

I am thinking of just using Dicor self leveling. Anyone know of compatibility issues between products.
KWiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Roof sealant

Hello, I am a newbie but I did this work myself last year, so I will try to help. I use Manus Bond-75 (white) and Henry's (clear) on vertical areas ( ordered from Lichtsinn RV) and Dicor self-leveling on the horizontal sufaces. Old Dicor scrapes off easily, the silicon type is much more challenging to remove. My local RV repair shop suggested using WD-40 followed by mineral spirits to remove residue then some rubbing alcohol to remove that residue. It worked well but needed elbow grease! I also used those orange plastic razor blades (Ace Hardware about$2.50). I was advised to not be skimpy with the Dicor self leveling sealant, and don't forget to seal the screws on the vent cap and the refrigerator roof cover or any others you find. Also keep an eye out for any hairline cracks in the filon and run a wide bead of the Dicor if you do.
I hope this helps. Happy Travels! P.S. I am not that familiar with compatibility to make suggestions with the silicon type, however new Dicor can go over old Dicor but I like to remove all of the old and start fresh (cheap insurance).
Lois Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #3

When I first got my coach I washed the roof and used a brush on all seams. Then after it dried I brushed on all the seams ProFlexRV sealant and that was over 6 years ago. It still has an elastic coating with rubber-like flexibility. I check it every spring.

https://www.amazon.com/Geocel-GC2320...ct_top?ie=UTF8
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The dealer fized my roof with a dicor proiduct 6+ years before I got, I pressure washed roof with a cleaner made to remove the black and organic green crap.. let it dry good, removed any loose stuff.. The dealer did a lumpy job but no leaks..
I wanted to preserve and it had a few loose spots..

I used the proflex smoothed out nice, let dry overnite then used a paint brush appled sealant over the seams and around vents etc,,

came out nice..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #5

With the recommendation for the Manus Bond 75, I'm guessing that you have a Winnebago product. The Manus Bond is an adhesive-sealant. This is critical for the edge of the roof that is tucked into the J-Channel along each side. The adhesive nature will help prevent the thin fiberglass outer layer from coming out of that channel and possibly tearing away from the roof substrate.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal, sealant