Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinOn View Post
az,,,

I have W22 under a 38' long coach,,, Now how does the manufacturer justify putting that length of a coach on that chassis and then put a 32' on a 24 ?
My coach is not overweighted and all compartments are not stuffed to the hilt and I'm not pulling a toad. Most the time I do not even carry water unless it's a very long trip and I limit that to about 20 gallon.
Length has no real bearing on GVWR and many things come into play, such as coach construction materials (wood, steel, aluminum, fiberglass, plastics etc.).
As long as the coach builder has not exceeded the chassis GVWR it is within safey margins. I will have to admit I have not seen a 32 footer on a W24 chassis but there are a lot of things I havn't seen.
Very few people, when looking to buy an RV, are even aware of what GVWR means, let alone what it may mean in regard to the loads they may add.
In my own experience buying our first RV many years ago, I looked at the construction quality. DW looked at the kitchen layout, pretty cabinets and storage space. Another thing I loved was that big 8.1 L V-8 . GVWR never entered my mind.
Another thing we didn't notice was that when the slide-out was in we had no access to the bedroom or bathroom.
In your example again Workhorse had no control over what the coachbuilder put on the chassis.
Now back to your issues with the extremely rough ride you are experiencing. What attemts have you made to resolve the issue, if any?
I have a 35 footer on a W22 and may be able to help, maybe not, but I know who to ask.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read plenty of posts on this problem and at times have to scratch my head. Our chassis is stock has Bilstein shocks and rides like a dream. People I do believe have to No. 1 learn how to distribute the load to get it to ride and handle properly. Tire pressures enter into this as well.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I read plenty of posts on this problem and at times have to scratch my head. Our chassis is stock has Bilstein shocks and rides like a dream. People I do believe have to No. 1 learn how to distribute the load to get it to ride and handle properly. Tire pressures enter into this as well.
Good point!!
Tire pressure is very criticle to both ride quality and handling. I learned it the hard way. Some look at the recomendation from the builder, others go by the maximum stated on the tire. Both can be totally wrong.
There are also those with the P series Workhorse/GM chassis with the airbag assisted suspension where both tire and airbag pressures come into play along with load distribution.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #32
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Funny that I have a w18 under a 32'. I wish I had the Alison transmission but the w18 rides great. It rides like a dream but I went with a sport model that is much lighter. I think a sway bar would help but the MH rides great just the way it is.

My only folowing I'd the arm rests are not aligned and are not adjustable. So I guess I should not complain.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A 30,000 lb GVWR vehicle is riding at its maximum rated load whether it weighs 28,000 lb or 32,000 lb. Therefore, it's going to ride and handle like a fully loaded vehicle should. That's been my point all along.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
A 30,000 lb GVWR vehicle is riding at its maximum rated load whether it weighs 28,000 lb or 32,000 lb. Therefore, it's going to ride and handle like a fully loaded vehicle should. That's been my point all along.
I don't want this to sound argumentative but you are mistaken. If GVWR is 30,000 lbs. and actual weight is 28,000 lbs. it is 2,000 lbs. under GVWR.
With the same GVWR and an actual weight of 32,000 the GVWR has been exceeded by 2,000 lbs. and could result in suspension failure, or worse.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I don't want this to sound argumentative but you are mistaken. If GVWR is 30,000 lbs. and actual weight is 28,000 lbs. it is 2,000 lbs. under GVWR.
With the same GVWR and an actual weight of 32,000 the GVWR has been exceeded by 2,000 lbs. and could result in suspension failure, or worse.
2000 lbs over is not going to break any suspension components on a chasis thats designed to handle 30000 lbs.

The builders figure in extra capacity for safety. That being said, if you were to drive the vehicle with everything removed, no water, 10 gal fuel, etc. .....it will ride very stiff. Reason being, you are too light for the designed suspension system.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Length has no real bearing on GVWR and many things come into play, such as coach construction materials (wood, steel, aluminum, fiberglass, plastics etc.).
I believe that it does to a certin extent, the bigger the coach the more people think they can carry. Plus I believe the longer it is the more amenities the coach builder may add.
One thing I have found in my coach is the lack of using more secure fasteners in attaching key items such as my dashboard. It may be fine to use self drilling drive screws on some items but not in the dashboard. The same in regards to attaching front cabinets with about a 60lb. television sitting in them. Very poor construction in my opinon.
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
No need to apologize It may leed to some interesting discussion. I am always interested in the whys and wherefores of all the modifications that everyone does, like replacing their old worn out shocks with a different brand and claiming the new brand is the best on the market.
Then we have the opinion factor that comes into play and thats where it really gets interesting. I am a retired engineer and love reading about all the mods people do.
I will pose another question. Why is it that when we buy a car we will drive it for 5-10 years with no mods, but then we buy an RV it needs all these improvements and modifications?
I agree but look at all the guys that buy shocks that are not really needed. The junk yards are full of good shocks.
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Now there you go. right on Steve !! Oh X2
Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinOn View Post
I'm sure that when the chassis builder makes the chassis for a motorhome they know what it's for. Of course the coach builders knows of the ride problems encountered, In my opinion the problem is between both of them.
I'm going through a problem with my coach, that due to rough ride and I have to say shoddy construction, my dashboard keeps getting bounced loose. I have installed the Koni's which has helped dramaticaly, but a pot hole is still a pothole and my dash is loose again.
Manufacturerers on both side of the fence know what problems exist, they need to be addressed and resolved.
Just my thoughts...........
I totally agree. The roads throughout the U.S. are getting so bad that our coach dashboard is about to come apart I have to go over it with a scew driver every time we come home. Ive lowered my tire pressure until it would be unsafe to go any lower the steering wheel about shakes out of your hand Colorado interstates are deplorable. The best roads we found in Kansas. This situation is getting so bad we are seriously thinking about parking the RV and just let it sit..
But for the rest of you Happy Motoring
Don and Maxine
Old 10-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #40
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax
Now there you go. right on Steve !! Oh X2
X3 Steve.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
2000 lbs over is not going to break any suspension components on a chasis thats designed to handle 30000 lbs.

The builders figure in extra capacity for safety. That being said, if you were to drive the vehicle with everything removed, no water, 10 gal fuel, etc. .....it will ride very stiff. Reason being, you are too light for the designed suspension system.
The "extra capacity for safety" is factored in before determining the GVWR. Any time that is exceeded it will add stress to suspension components. It would not matter whether its a car overloaded by 200lbs. or a truck overloaded by 2000lbs, the end result is the same, overloaded.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #42
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
I totally agree. The roads throughout the U.S. are getting so bad that our coach dashboard is about to come apart I have to go over it with a scew driver every time we come home. Ive lowered my tire pressure until it would be unsafe to go any lower the steering wheel about shakes out of your hand Colorado interstates are deplorable. The best roads we found in Kansas. This situation is getting so bad we are seriously thinking about parking the RV and just let it sit..
But for the rest of you Happy Motoring
Don and Maxine
It took 6 months for me too fix all the creeks that I got in one trip through PA. I will never go back after the abuse I put my MH through in that state. We now only go south.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote