Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #1

Rubber Roof Deterioration & faded decals

I am working on a really good deal on a 13 year old DP. The two main concerns are that it has not been garaged for it's entire life. 1) The white outer coating on the rubber roof has worn off and the rubber roof is black. However, it has no holes and there are no leaks. From what I have read, the roof can be recoated with an EDPM liquid roof which will reseal it. I was looking for advise on products and your experiences with them. I would also like to know how much longer I could expect this roof to last if I keep the motorhome garaged? 2) The side stripes are faded and cracked. How hard is it to remove the current stripes? Not sure whether I would restripe it with vinyl or just paint new stripes on it. Opinions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A 13 y.o. coach never garaged where the rubber roof is pealed off? A really good deal is where they pay YOU to take it. Run don't walk away from it and keep shopping. It is a buyer's market.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #3

Maverick,
The rubber roof is not peeled off. The white outer layer has just worn away. The black rubber roof underneath is intact. This still might be one that I want to run away from, but the price is at least $10k less than other DP's that I have seen of the same make, model, year and mileage. Just trying to figure out if it is possible to save the roof without spending big bucks...
Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #4

There several products on the market designed to "recoat" EPDM roofs. Do a search online and check in with a reliable RV dealer.
Here is a link to one I saw at an RV show: http://www.epdmcoatings.com/rv_roof_repair.htm
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #5

Corrected link to above post

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/rv_roof_repair.html
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can recoat the rubber. There are several products that are guaranteed to work. If the coach is in good condition, I would not be afraid of it.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
maybe it needs a good cleaning?
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I chose Liquid Rubber to redo my rubber roof. Mine also had the white layer worn off, so if no holes you should be okay.
Here's a link to my blog and my experience of using this product.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you haven't done it already wash the roof and you maybe surprised.
Here is a link for all kinds of material for your roof.
The side strips you may get off with a heat source like a hair dryer.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We used the Liquid Roof on our roof. It was really alligatored toward the front and it did a good job on it from what we can tell.

Initially I took a scrub brush and really scrubbed ours, it had been washed before that also. Then I blew off all the bits that were brushed off. Ours was more alligatored then anything. Hubby had already removed the AC's and we took all the skylights out also plus the MaxAir covers, and the solar panel.

We bought an old 92 American Eagle and it had nothing much done to the roof except caulking here and there from the looks of it. The skylights were old and heavily caulked with cracks in them, we have replaced all the skylights or I'm still in the process of it and also replaced the fantastic fan domes, all the old stuff was rotten. Since we had all the openings, he took buckets of water and washed it and rinsed it using rags instead of washing it down. We let it dry good. Our problem was few warm days when we did it and they really suggest over 50. He then taped all around the metal strip at the top so the stuff wouldn't run down the sides and it will. Used a type of tape with plastic hanging down to cover some of the sides.

We used Liquid Roof and Proflex Primer on it. The stuff is really really thick and its a lot of work, took us the better part of a day to coat it with primer and then let it dry a few days for good measure. It took another day to put the liquid roof on also.

There are certain kinds of rubber roof you have to use the primer first, I can't remember the name but our coach had it. They said you had so many working hours depending on the tempature, it got near 70 and I can say the stuff thickens up pretty fast, faster then they said so we really hussled. You pour it on, spread it with a roller and squeege, and we used a brush around the dome bases, we left those in. Also brushed it in along the valleys and the end caps. I think you need 2 people
......03, I don't think one could do it alone as I had to brush down the sides of the top so it wouldn't run down. They recommend one thick coat versus 2 thinner ones.

We got ours from the manufacturer, Pro Guard Coatings. If you do, read all the information thoroughly that they have. I even called the factory and they answered my questions. I think its less if you buy it there but you can't return it to them, there is a way but talk to them how. The stuff is pricey we spent at least $750 and did it ourselves, but I bought more then needed. We are going to put the rest on the roof of a smaller TT we have with a rubber roof.

In a few days it was pretty dry but we didn't get on it for 3 weeks, we wanted it to cure good. I've been on it a lot since putting in the skylights, but I either take off my shoes or wear some that haven't been in gravel etc so as not to scrap it up.

The end result looks pretty good but ours having been alligatored isn't as smooth as I would like but it still looks pretty good. We have only had it on a month or so but because we still have openings we haven't had it out yet plus there is a lot of other work to do on the motorhome.

But it looks like its going to be a very durable roof, and my understanding is there won't be chalking anymore. It's a smooth surface and I am thinking it will be slippery when wet. Tim will tell if its as good as we think it will.

I am caulking around the vents and new skylights plus the endcap seams with Dicor Caulk, its a self leveling stuff.

I think its likely a really good product.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #11

If you are getting a real good deal the roof can be replaced, which is the way I would go. I have been there and done the old stripe deal it takes ALOT of patience and time (days) to get them off heat gun, plastic razor blades or scrapers, there are custom graphics companys that will make and install new ones, the big deal is getting the old ones off. But in todays market I might would keep looking.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
I am working on a really good deal on a 13 year old DP. The two main concerns are that it has not been garaged for it's entire life. 1) The white outer coating on the rubber roof has worn off and the rubber roof is black. However, it has no holes and there are no leaks. From what I have read, the roof can be recoated with an EDPM liquid roof which will reseal it. I was looking for advise on products and your experiences with them. I would also like to know how much longer I could expect this roof to last if I keep the motorhome garaged? 2) The side stripes are faded and cracked. How hard is it to remove the current stripes? Not sure whether I would restripe it with vinyl or just paint new stripes on it. Opinions?
Dicor makes a rubber roof recoat system. First step is to clean it with a good cleaner. Second step is to apply the Dicor primer. It brings up the 'black' from the underlying roof. Next is to apply 2 coats of the finish coat, which paints on. It chemically reacts with the rubber roof and returns it to a gloss white.

This process should provide an additional 5+ years life to the rubber roof. As you describe the conditions of the roof on this coach, as long as the rubber material is intact, not torn, it should benefit from this process.

Have it inspected by a trusted RV shop. They should tell you if this roof would benefit from the reseal. The process works.

Maybe you could negotiate this into the purchase of this coach.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I've also used "liquid Roof" on a 99 coach in the same shape as the one you are looking at. Roof was mostly black, but in good physical condition and no leaks. The liquid roof made it good as new. One step product, not counting a good cleaning first. Highly recommended.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recoated my FIL coach last summer. Sounds like yours is in the same condition that his was in. We washed it first and applied the coating. We purchased the roof coating at Menards. Don't know if there is one close to you but they had the best price on a 5 gallon pail. I believe it was aroun $90 but make sure you read the can and make sure to get the one for the EDPM roof as they have a couple of different ones. Just follow directions and I have to warn you it's not a one and done. It took about 5 coats to really coat it well. We applied with a roller recommended in the directions. Allow plenty of time to dry between coats.
Regarding your vinyl stripes, if were me and I was to remove them I would definately repaint them rather then try to get new vinyl. Once you remove them the pattern will already be there as the paint under the stripes will be a different color. Just tape the pattern, pick a color of your choice and go for it. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof