Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

Rubber Roof Repair - with Picture

Good evening friends!

I have a rubber roof on my 1999 Allegro Bus which is the original. The flat surface on top appears to be in good condition, however, the part which rolls around the radius on the sides looks to have creases or "bubbles" in some areas. I plan on coating the roof but want to ensure everything is addressed prior to doing so.

You can see from the pictures, the previous owner had it patched in a few spots, told me he got tangled up in a tree limb.

My question is this. Should I neatly cut and remove the area on the radius that looks to be wrinkled, apply some EternaBond from stem to stern and then coat or just coat over it the way it stands?

Thank you in advance for helping, I know very little about rubber roofing except what I have been able to find on the net.

Monkey Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #2

To do it right, I would pull off a section of roof edge trim where needed, clean the roof VERY well, get a wide piece of patch (Dicor makes a 12" wide tape) and over lay in once piece where needed (best would have it screwed down under the front, back, and side trim) and then seal the exposed edges.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #3

That is what I was thinking but was uncertain how serious those wrinkles. Probably last a long time if I do it the way you suggest and then coat the entire thing.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #4

My Bounder has same wrinkles on the radius corners . I don't think it's a big deal up just reseal the roof in whatever manor you choose and apply right over the wrinkles. I myself wouldn't cut out the wrinkles and create just another place to leak
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #5

Would the wrinkles be a factory installed option or something which developed over time, perhaps from a sloppy install?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

I think over time it's the expanding and contraction of all the materials.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #7

Bad factory install. Remove all the side trim, pull it tight, staple it down, put a 12" wide patch front to back under the front and rear seam, and then under the side trim, and it would be pretty good.
Why do you want to coat it all?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #8

I can see the white color wearing thin, not badly, however, I would like to preserve the roof so I believe coating will do that. I was given a price at the dealer of 8k for replacement, seems high to me. They told me it has 2-3 years left in it assuming nothing is done to stop degradation. If I coat it myself, it's probably a grand including the patch materials.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #9

I would think around 6k but give or take.

If you wash and treat it like it should be, then it should have plenty of time. Are any spots showing black?

I don't see it being 1k to DIY.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #10

I just replaced the roof on my coach at a cost of $3800 including new underpayment on top of the old luan. The roof had leaked at the front and rear end caps. My rig is 36 feet long and the roof caulk had been neglected by the prior owner which I negotiated into the purchase price when I bought it last year. I budgeted 5K but found a collision shop that repairs RV's and did a first class job for less.
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #11

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate them! No black showing through, it pretty much all looks in color what you see in the picture.

The 1K for "do it myself" is for purchasing the patch material if I were to cut the sides and the cost of the roof coating. Thinking back when I priced the materials for an entire tear-off and replace "do it myself" it was closer to $2500.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #12

If it's all white, I wouldn't coat. Just keep it maintained.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #13

Ok, well, I figured the coating would add longevity. I plan on heading out on a trip in March, too late this year to do anything with it other than clean it. My son will be doing the cleaning this weekend and also applying a "preservative" I purchased at the motorhome dealership. I'll do that, then calk all penetrations. Next summer take a look at coating as I am willing to spend 1k if it prolongs the life of the rubber.

Tags
repair, roof