Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #1

Running A/C on generator

Is it ok to run my A/C on my generator for several hours? I'm going to let a couple of school bus drivers who are taking kids on a all night graduation trip use my MH to get some sleep while the kids are partying. Will be doing this in the heat and humidity of Florida so they may need A/C and no hookups are available. Just one A/C unit
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #2

My first thought is that is what they are made for. Not sure why you would ask.

Second thought is be considerate of where the exhaust goes.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #3

Just new to this and want to be sure. Good point on exhaust fumes
Old 05-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The genny will be more then happy to run your ac 24 / 7
Just think of your genny as a dog wagging his tail when you grab the leash. They both
love excercise. The longer you run em the happier they get.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two answers:

If you are in a campground with Quiet Hours... Not during quite hours.

If you are, for example, providing power for a Ham Radio Field day operation (Done that) Yes no problem HOWEVER read on.

NOTE: the above applies to any situtation where "Quite hours" is not a problem.

Now: the problem:

On many motor homes and such (My own included) running the generator for hours, when parked, tends to set off the CO alarm

I installed a Gen-Turi, in my case the genuine article, this brings those hot exhaust fumes up over the roof where laws of physics cause them to continue up, up and away..

Some folks yammer about the roof Exhaust Fan sucking in vapors (What part or EXHAUST do they fail to understand?) and such Ignore them.

Have run Generator 25 hours straight, twice, using a Gen-turi and no problems. Would do it again if the need arose.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #6

georgetown350 said it best. I ran mine many hours last summer traveling the SW. Never missed a beat until it got above 105 and we would be sitting. It would shutdown from heat. Then it would start up after a few minutes. They are built to run long and smooth.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #7

wa8yxm-----If the EXHAUST fan is running, air has to come IN to the motorhome to replace the air that is sucked out.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Two answers:

If you are in a campground with Quiet Hours... Not during quite hours.

If you are, for example, providing power for a Ham Radio Field day operation (Done that) Yes no problem HOWEVER read on.

NOTE: the above applies to any situtation where "Quite hours" is not a problem.

Now: the problem:

On many motor homes and such (My own included) running the generator for hours, when parked, tends to set off the CO alarm

I installed a Gen-Turi, in my case the genuine article, this brings those hot exhaust fumes up over the roof where laws of physics cause them to continue up, up and away..

Some folks yammer about the roof Exhaust Fan sucking in vapors (What part or EXHAUST do they fail to understand?) and such Ignore them.

Have run Generator 25 hours straight, twice, using a Gen-turi and no problems. Would do it again if the need arose.

Totally agree!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. The MH will be parked in the parking lot of a entertainment venue for teenagers. Just trying to help out the bus drivers for a project called Project Graduation designed to keep graduating seniors off the street on grad night

Tags
generator