Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2021, 09:23 AM   #1

RV Carports

If and when I do purchase a Class B or C Motorhome I may want to place it under an RV Carport. I have an acre of property and two RV stations (water, electric, sewage) on the property from years ago when I had a small Class A MH. Here in Florida it would have to be Hurricane proof.

Is it a good thing to have such a covering or is it not necessary? Can anyone that has experience with these give me an idea about getting one and having it installed.

Thank You

Old Guy Dave
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I cannot help you with hurricane proofing but to answer the cover question, in my opinion, yes, get an RV carport or better yet enclose it completely!

I have an aluminum RV cover attached to my house where I park my class A. I was so happy a few years back that I had it as we had a freak hail storm pass through and it dinged my car's roof, dinged my truck's roof, and it dinged my RV cover roof. My RV?? totally fine, no roof damage at all. If it had been completely exposed I expect I would have had to replace the plastic vent covers at minimum. (HUGE hail balls, never see that in person before)

Also, a cover just makes me feel better. I live in a desert area and it's currently hitting a high of 108 degrees today and my RV is 90% in the shade. If I had enough property to completely enclose it I would!!

That's my $0.02. YMMV
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z714X4 View Post
I cannot help you with hurricane proofing but to answer the cover question, in my opinion, yes, get an RV carport or better yet enclose it completely!

I have an aluminum RV cover attached to my house where I park my class A. I was so happy a few years back that I had it as we had a freak hail storm pass through and it dinged my car's roof, dinged my truck's roof, and it dinged my RV cover roof. My RV?? totally fine, no roof damage at all. If it had been completely exposed I expect I would have had to replace the plastic vent covers at minimum. (HUGE hail balls, never see that in person before)

Also, a cover just makes me feel better. I live in a desert area and it's currently hitting a high of 108 degrees today and my RV is 90% in the shade. If I had enough property to completely enclose it I would!!

That's my $0.02. YMMV
Thank you so much. I was thinking that, here in Florida, an RV Cover would protect from the extreme heat and thunderstorms we have. And yes, we have had hailstorms on occasion. Protecting that roof from the elements as much as possible while it is sitting for periods of time.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:20 AM   #4

I don't know how them make them hurricane prof but if there is a way, they are worth their weight in gold. I installed one when I purchased my 40' Coach here in Virginia, one side enclosed to keep the sun off. You cannot believe how much cooler is us under the shelter than it is outside even on 102* day.

A friend bought one just like mine for his 5th wheel and his first comment to me was "I wish I had done this 5 years ago!".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carport 1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	338321  
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #5

An enclosed it a better idea. I have a carport (shown in picture) for our mh and two cars. Mainly it helps keep out some sun, and junk from pine trees. Doesn’t help much for air borne particles.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #6

I'd have the cover but if a hurricane comes you'll definitely want to move the rig out of the area. There's a concern that parts of your cover could become dangerous missiles but if you're far enough from your neighbors that wouldn't be a concern.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:01 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We built an RV port over 10 years ago. Best investment (other than the Progressive Industries power monitor) for our RV's. Protected our coaches from the elements & UV rays. I feel, between how well we took care of it & the fact it was under cover for all but 1 year of its life is the reason the Bounder looked brand new when we traded it. See my photos here: https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=1148
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
I don't know how them make them hurricane prof but if there is a way, they are worth their weight in gold. I installed one when I purchased my 40' Coach here in Virginia, one side enclosed to keep the sun off. You cannot believe how much cooler is us under the shelter than it is outside even on 102* day.

A friend bought one just like mine for his 5th wheel and his first comment to me was "I wish I had done this 5 years ago!".
By law structural things in Florida have to meet wind and hurricane standards. 120 mph winds, pounding rain, and lightning. Believe the supporting poles have to be buried in concrete and the rest of the structure has to be pretty sturdy. May be too costly because of that. Not sure.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:30 PM   #9

Totally enclose so wind cannot get under roof and lift it off.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #10

Yes, cover it so your black air conditioner covers won't overheat and cause a catastrophic meltdown.
Fogbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:28 PM   #11

Here in CA, the sun does the most damage
My 18 x 30 steel cover cost $3400 (two men, 6 hrs)
I get Santa Ana winds every year, up to 50 mph gusts.
In addition to anchoring in concrete post holes, the installer placed extra supports on the side wall (you can see in attached photos)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7A350A12-06B5-4515-82B3-55361A142B3D.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	338614   Click image for larger version

Name:	410707F0-244F-409D-AC2B-5125E5C14CE5.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	338615  

Old 08-06-2021, 05:53 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post
Totally enclose so wind cannot get under roof and lift it off.
Also it will keep the sides and tires, protected from the sun.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:23 PM   #13

We kept the old school bus under this one for years. It was bolted to 12" diameter concrete posts every 5 feet buried 4 feet deep. If you look close you can maybe see them at the back where the yard slopes downhill. The outer supports protect against west winds coming across the fields next to us and are anchored to concrete also. We finally sold the bus last year and gave the carport to our next door neighbor, we're having a garage built there.

Name:	20171226_075003.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	338631

We had these 24' x 40' carports put up at work, my brother and I keep both our campers there (his on the left, mine on the right). The empty carport will be for work storage.

Name:	20210617_170149.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	338639
kames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Here in CA, the sun does the most damage
My 18 x 30 steel cover cost $3400 (two men, 6 hrs)
I get Santa Ana winds every year, up to 50 mph gusts.
In addition to anchoring in concrete post holes, the installer placed extra supports on the side wall (you can see in attached photos)
I think those are the type I would want. Thanks.