Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
RV Consumer Group

Wow went to the RV Consumer Group website and boy it will scare you right out from behind the wheel of the class A motorhomes. Anyone members of that organization, or have and read their guide?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Note that they do not test RVs or in many cases even see the RVs they rate. They read the literature and form their opinion.

Use them as just another opinion and not a defining opinion.

There are countless folks quite happy in their RVs that were rated unacceptable by RVCG.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Note that they do not test RVs or in many cases even see the RVs they rate. They read the literature and form their opinion.

Use them as just another opinion and not a defining opinion.

There are countless folks quite happy in their RVs that were rated unacceptable by RVCG.
XX2 I wouldn't disregard them though nor would I disregard any owners opinion on this site. Making a conscious decision requires opinions from all sides.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #4

Well, speaking for myself, I bought their data base when I was on the search for a class A. I had never owned one and was really not sure of what to look for or how to determine what makes one stand out from another.
I found the information in their data base VERY helpful to sort out the ones that I should stay away from. I agree they are just one more tool to assist in your search but IMHO, a very good one.
Worked for me......
Old 01-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So is worth it? I suppose. What about the full membership? I can get the guide on Amazon but the full membership may be worth the money and provide me with good reading.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So is worth it? I suppose. What about the full membership? I can get the guide on Amazon but the full membership may be worth the money and provide me with good reading.
I paid $150 for the database and don't regret it one bit. I read all kinds of posts on this forum from people who bought a class A and then have steering/handling issues, etc. etc. that I read and think "Am I glad I did not head in that direction" I picked Newmar mostly based on their evaluation and am not in the least bit disappointed. That's my story.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I paid $150 for the database and don't regret it one bit. I read all kinds of posts on this forum from people who bought a class A and then have steering/handling issues, etc. etc. that I read and think "Am I glad I did not head in that direction" I picked Newmar mostly based on their evaluation and am not in the least bit disappointed. That's my story.
And that is the reason for the data. Now is this a yr. membership that includes the hard copy and all the downloads. What is the annual renewal any idea? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
And that is the reason for the data. Now is this a yr. membership that includes the hard copy and all the downloads. What is the annual renewal any idea? Thanks in advance.
To my knowledge, there is no Annual Renewal unless you want to update the data to include newer models. Once you have paid the initial 150, you can update anytime down the road.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
They are NOT like Consumers Reports. They don't buy RVs. They don't drive/tow RVs. Many times they don't even see the RV they review. Now, if you want to put a lot of stock in an organization like that, it's your choice. As for me, I'll examine the RVs myself, get input from those who own and use them and then make my own decisions.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
They are NOT like Consumers Reports. They don't buy RVs. They don't drive/tow RVs. Many times they don't even see the RV they review. Now, if you want to put a lot of stock in an organization like that, it's your choice. As for me, I'll examine the RVs myself, get input from those who own and use them and then make my own decisions. Rusty
I get that too.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #11

Years ago I purchased the information when I was getting ready to buy. I read the information and looked at the data. As an old engineer I wondered what was being reviewed and by whom. Anyway, they provide a opinion that is not particularly helpful. I think they scare more people than they help. I finally purchased one of the motor homes they felt was marginal for condition and handling. I drove it with one finger on the wheel for nearly 70,000 miles. The interior matched their opinion but I could see that when I did my walk-thru. Your opinion, your wife's opinion are much more important than what they provide. The ONE thing I found very helpful was their information on axles and carrying capacities. While I do not believe the MH manufacturers outright lie they certainly don't tell the whole truth concerning axles and carrying capacities. Do your own PDI and get it Weighted before you sign the check.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
They are NOT like Consumers Reports. They don't buy RVs. They don't drive/tow RVs. Many times they don't even see the RV they review. Now, if you want to put a lot of stock in an organization like that, it's your choice. As for me, I'll examine the RVs myself, get input from those who own and use them and then make my own decisions.

X3 or 4

We would rather walk thru and decide for ourselves. Some of the ones they rate high we would not buy as they were some of the worst Thom and I had seen for us. Everyone has different things they like in an RV and things they can do without, ie washer/dryer's Thom and I could care less if it had one and if it did we would take it out while others would not get one without one.