Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2004, 08:22 AM   #1

We fell in love with the Alfa See Ya motorhomes at an RV show, but after doing some research, are concerned about the rating they have with the RV Consumer Group. Also, they were pretty heavily bashed on another forum, which I take with a grain of salt, as I know that for everyone who LOVES their motorhome, there's someone else who doesn't. Has anyone who's done plenty of research decided on an Alfa and just ignored the findings of RV Consumer Group. Are you glad or regretful? We're particularly concerned with the driveability/safety rating being so low. Our other choices are Tiffin products and I guess Newmar since people seem so pleased with them, but we truly love the open feeling and layout of the Alfas, as well as all the extras. Any advice, words of wisdom, or encouragement will be appreciated.
Candy
readytravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2004, 09:34 AM   #2

Welcome Readytravelers, I'm sure you will find your answer here. Thanks for signing up, hope to "see ya" post often

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 10:09 AM   #3

readytravelers,
Hi. I have owned my cya for over a year. I previously owned a gasser, and when I went on a job that required us to live in it fulltime, my wife, after 3 months, said either we got a bigger rv, or I would be living alone.

So, I told her to go find one she liked, and I would buy it. She spent 3 weeks looking at all makes, up to $500,000, and fell in love with the cya.

I will admit, that there are some things I would change about the cya, but it is comfortable to live in, and it is a great value.

Do not beleive what you read in RV Consumer Group. I don't think they have ever driven an RV. It was at first a problem to drive, but once I got the tire pressures right, it handles just as well as any other RV on the XC chassis, and possible better due to the low center of gravity.

I personally have not had a problem with my slide, but ther are quite a few owners having issues with their slide motors. Alfa is stepping up and fixing them, but you should be aware of the issue.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact me at tewall@thevillages.net, and I'll answer what I can.

Regards
Tom Wallace
coach #1370
tewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:08 PM   #4

Candy,

We have had our See Ya for nearly 3 years. It is a 2002 and we love it. It drives like a dream (but like Tom said, need to insure the air pressure is correct for the weight.) The high ceilings, the large slide and the big windows give a nice feeling of spaciousness. We like all the extras and esp. like the basement air/heat system. After 23,000 miles and many nights (not full timers, but about 20%ers) can say we truly enjoy this coach and someday will upgrade to the Gold, but not for a while.

Good luck in your choice of motorhomes and Alfa should be on your short list.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:15 PM   #5

I believe the RV Consumer Group (actually seems to be just one person) lost his "unbiased objectivity" when AlfaLeisure sued him for what AlfaLeisure considered RVCG reprinting unsubstantiated claims made by a fifth wheel owner as documented by RVCG. It's several years since this happended and I don't recall the details.
Also, the above information is third hand, as is most of the information you see when it comes to opinions about anything on the 'net.
We've enjoyed our coach for two years. Went through a few of the usual problems. Worth it to enjoy what the Alfa gives you for the price they charge.

President & Treasurer
travelin_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:06 PM   #6

The RV Consumers group facts are based on unobjective mathmatical formuls and are NOT BASED ON DRIVING EXPERIENCE. They rate my MH as a POS based on wheel base to length ratio. I run with friends that have MH that are higher rated by the RV Concumers Group. We all run the same speeds on the same roads in the same windy conditions and passed by the same trucks. My rig handles about like theirs based on observation and conversation. IMHO the RV Consumer Group are a bunch of blow hards that I would ingore.

That does not mean that all MHs are perfect just better than the RV Group thinks they are.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:27 AM   #7

We have had three See Ya!s and have been quite pleased wiht both the coach and the factory. They have worked hard to keep their customers satisfied.

I think there is bad blood wiht the RV Guide and so he has been bashing ALfa on a regular basis. I heard somewhere that in just 3 years Alfa has become the third highest seller on the road, so that must mnean something.

Not to say, that you will not have problems, 'cause there are always things that go wrong, but Alfa steps up to the plate to fix it.

For more information try the following group:

autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/seeyadp

It is a group for Alfa owners and prospective owners, run by Alfa owners.

Join and then ask people what they have found wiht their coach.

John Cohn
John Cohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 03:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Cohn:
It is a group for Alfa owners and prospective owners, run by Alfa owners. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>John, I met one of the people that I deal with at the RVIA Show in Louisville this month that help us sponsor this forum. I could not have met a more sincere and genuine person if I tried. I was very impressed and all I have to say is that Alfa owners should be reasurred that they have friends at the corporate level that care about their owners.

We here are geared very much to support the Alfa owners that visit here and they are most welcome to participate here and to use all of our other numerous resources at their discretion. We feel that we offer the Alfa owner much more than just a forum because we support every facet of the RV'ing life style.

We are also very pleased that "Alfa Customer Care" posts in the forums in response to questions or concerns that are directed to Alfa.

Going forward when the Yahoo folks become disenchanted with the pop up ads and invasive advertisings from Yahoo, we hope that they can join us here on iRV2.

Please come back and visit and post often, we'll look forward to reading all about your travels in your RV.

Merry Christmas and have a very Happy New Year!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:49 PM   #9

There are 2 Afla groups on Yahoo, the other is http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/alfaseeya

The mfgr is on both groups.
sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #10

Driver is right, we monitor this forum also.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:38 AM   #11

So is the consensus then, that RV consumers group is a useless organization that is taking money for information that is biased or not representitive of the opinions of the Rv'ers that contribute honest information about their individual coaches? I will have to go back and re-read that poor womans plight once again. Its nice that Manufacturers monitor this board but perhaps it should be silently lest the opinion be cast that our forum itself is biased.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:11 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nope,
I for one will disagree with your statement Phil, just like anything else, the group offers reviews and opinions just like this one your reading now or the ones before yours.

Some of their comments are good, some I question, but overall they are just giving you things to think about and evualate. Some things they rate may never happen but it's food for thought.

As far as Alfa, the case (1)in question is settled, both sides do not mention it nor continue any disscussion on the subject. It was not Alfa bashing they were involved in but the handling of a problem concerning a rig/owner in question. When I have visit the site,to my knowledge I have not seen or read any Alfa bashing going on with the group. I thought this was a long gone subject by all.

As to the results of reading or following their ratings, I went with their recomendations on my rig and have been very satified. Some may not----

Personally, I and my wife really like the Alfa rigs, looked real hard twice at a seeya and a founder, but the high ceiling/cabinets put my 5' 2" at a extreme disavantage. And even though they furnish a ladder just for that reason, my wife didn't want it to be a permanent fixture in the kitchen!

Best to all,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:51 AM   #13

Thank you Bob I was simply trying to stimulate some discussion on the pro side of the Consumers Group, I know that they have helped many confused RV'ers to sort out facts and figures in order to make an educated decision regarding the purchase of an RV I for one used the court of public opinion in order to bring pressure on an otherwise reluctant Manufacturer. Please note this is a not for profit organization as well.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:41 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Well, OK, I'll give you a positive opinion. An RV is a big investment. RV Consumer Group is the ONLY non-profit place to get ANY comparison info about RVs. Are they perfect? Certainly not. Yeah, maybe their analyses aren't as quantitative as they could be. But, what I really liked was their ratings of brands based upon how their components would hold up to recreational, seasonal or fulltime use.

Hey, it's another data point. Treat it that way for your vary big purchase. Given that perspective, I think it's well worth the money.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote