Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Furniture Options - Just for Fun

Hi everyone!

In my search to find our first Class A, I keep running into the same minor issue: there is usually too much seating for just me and my wife. I know, I know... what a terrible problem to have, right?

In any case, a lot of rigs have two 6' couches plus a dinette, or one couch and two recliners and a dinette, not the mention the two pivoting cabin chairs up front. That's a lot of space being taken up by seating options we don't need for just the two of us.

I know I could swap out a couch for something else, my question is: something else like what? I don't want to take out a couch just to put in two new recliners (or vice versa), that would defeat the purpose. I'm looking for ideas of what to put in there instead of more seating furniture.

As a professional cabinet maker, it'd be a simple matter to build a nice new entertainment cabinet, but frankly, I'm not eager to deal with the electrical... plus there will probably already be an entertainment center in the motorhome, so it seems kinda silly. If I buy an older unit and the electronics it comes with are really outdated then I might reconsider, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

So, if you had 5-6' of open floor space you wanted to fill with something really cool for your motorhome, what would you choose?

Thanks everyone!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just a quick share...

I've already gotten one PM suggesting that a bar would be nice, and I like the suggestion. Technically, yeah... it's more seating, but it's task-specific seating, and that helps alleviate the redundancy.

It would have to be visually appealing focal point. I could make it a wide-radius bar, matching or complimenting the existing wood and countertops. I'm starting to like this idea more and more, but I'm still eager to hear other suggestions that are less about seating and more about cool

Old 10-06-2014, 05:36 AM   #3

Since most motorhomes have that headbanger tv upfront, you might want to do what we & others have done. We removed a couch and replaced it with a cabinet that holds the tv mounted on a lift. It's so much more comfortable to kick back in a recliner and watch your favorite shows, than twisting your neck to watch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#3.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	75863   Click image for larger version

Name:	#2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	75864  

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I was thinking fireplace, now that temps have started dropping but I like both of these ideas. The fireplace certainly wouldn't help the snowbirds heading south. A bar is a great one and it doesn't even have to include seating (belly up to the bar boys). Incorporate the TV idea from Ramets and it's a sports bar!
Now that I think of it, the bar face could also have an electronic fireplace built into it!
ukpajf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #5

Most motorhomes lack a desk area. I relaxed a recliner with a custom made desk that attaches to the wall; basically a tformica top and a solid wood side. My wife has the dinette and I have the desk.

JohnnyB
Old 10-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Since most motorhomes have that headbanger tv upfront, you might want to do what we & others have done. We removed a couch and replaced it with a cabinet that holds the tv mounted on a lift. It's so much more comfortable to kick back in a recliner and watch your favorite shows, than twisting your neck to watch.
Can you tell me where you purchased that cabinet ?
Wdebarmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #7

I know exactly what I would do. I would install a fireplace in a nice cabinet with the TV rising out of a. Slot at the back....motorized of course. i suggested this to my neighbor and he did it and is very happy with it.

2001 American Eagle 40 US 8.9 ISL, towing 1999 Cherokee or 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with Polaris RZR in the back.
Jimalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I would love to have a nice desk. We don't have too much furniture - a sofa and an easy chair, plus the pilot/co-pilot seats, and table with 4 chairs (two of which we leave at home). To me the wonderful galley work space was the perfect trade-off. Ours in not a new coach (1999) so I'm happy to have found a quality coach like ours.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpajf View Post
I was thinking fireplace, now that temps have started dropping but I like both of these ideas. The fireplace certainly wouldn't help the snowbirds heading south. A bar is a great one and it doesn't even have to include seating (belly up to the bar boys). Incorporate the TV idea from Ramets and it's a sports bar!
Now that I think of it, the bar face could also have an electronic fireplace built into it!
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. I loved Ramets entertainment center, but the whole 'sports bar' angle has me wanting to write the check today!

A million thanks to both of you!

Old 10-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hmmm... a bar with a pop-up TV behind it and a fireplace in the front of it? Man, this is getting good. And a bar can function as a desk, right? Use the pop-up TV as your monitor, big CPU sitting under the back side of the bar - all you'd need is wireless keyboard and mouse and you've got it made! I for one have done some of my best work in bars

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Old 10-07-2014, 04:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdebarmore View Post
Can you tell me where you purchased that cabinet ?

I had it made by a cabinet maker. I just told them what I needed and they built it with the TV and lift that I purchased.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Furniture Options - Just for Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
.... That's a lot of space being taken up by seating options we don't need for just the two of us.....my question is: something else like what? ......So, if you had 5-6' of open floor space you wanted to fill with something really cool for your motorhome, what would you choose?

.......!

How about filling the space with floor space? Rearrange your recliners so they both face forward (slightly angled) so now you're not putting a crick in your neck watching TV. If you really need to get into the shop, maybe add a little side table that will fold out of the way for travel.

The extra space will make everything feel more roomy, look bigger, and will actually BE more comfortable when perhaps another couple drops over. You'll still have guest seating in your reversed forward seats, so you're all set there. Very little expense and no work. What's not to love?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
How about filling the space with floor space?
That may very well be the answer, depending on the unit we end up with. If what is buy is a little cramped, floor space will absolutely float to the top of the list. But if we get an RV that already has comfortable living space and we can make room for something interesting by removing a couch we don't need, that would be fun, too!

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2014, 05:57 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
How about filling the space with floor space? Rearrange your recliners so they both face forward (slightly angled) so now you're not putting a crick in your neck watching TV. If you really need to get into the shop, maybe add a little side table that will fold out of the way for travel.

The extra space will make everything feel more roomy, look bigger, and will actually BE more comfortable when perhaps another couple drops over. You'll still have guest seating in your reversed forward seats, so you're all set there. Very little expense and no work. What's not to love?

This what we did and we love it that way. We also shopped the pawn shops and got a super nice end table for the DW and I built mine so there is a place for drinks, Ipad, charging phone, maps, binoculars and headphones when we want go into our own world. We have room for two more people on the rare occasion we have guests but we mostly stay to ourselves.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD