Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Miamicamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 321
RV has been sitting

Hello, long story short I own a 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 36f I purchased in March of last year. There were a few minor warranty issues I had and so I drove it 5 hours north to General RV(where I purchased it) to drop it off back in July. On the way there I had a minor rear end accident and so I had them do the repairs on that as well.

I have been in touch with my insurance (Progressive) regarding the rear end damage and it took forever to fix mainly because of COVID, and I'm OK with that. Progressive has been great, General RV the jury is still out. General RV finally called me last week to tell me everything is complete, both the warranty issues and the rear end damage.

My service advisor is difficult to get a hold of and I am not confident that they actually did fix everything, so I am having a RV inspector that was recommended on this forum to go check it out, plus to do a general overall check of the RV since my one year warranty expires in March and its been sitting there. If there's anything that needs addressing under warranty I am going to have him point it out to me.

I already told General RV to perform an oil change for me, is there anything else I should have them do for me that maybe i'm not thinking of. The generator hasn't been run in 6 months so I am a little concerned about that, I just hate the fact that it has been there abandoned for so long. Any other tips or advice that I can have the inspector look at will be very helpful. Thank you so much
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2021, 05:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Metamora, MI
Posts: 4,773
There shouldn't be any issue as long as the batteries have been kept charged. If they let them go dead, then they have less life in them.

Other than that, no problem.

Its just crappy that you have a new toy and haven't been able to use it.
__________________
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire Limited 4370 w/ Spartan K2 and Cummins 500hp
ASE Master Certified (a long.....time ago...)
Dav L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Rumline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
If they let them go dead, then they have less life in them.
Unless there is a switch that has completely disconnected the battery or solar on the roof, "less life" at this point equals zero life. Parasitic drain for 8-9 months with little to no charging means it's probably down around zero volts with extreme sulfation.

OP, I would insist on new batteries no matter what the dealer tries to say. At least make them pay the inspector to do a capacity test on the batteries.
__________________
2020 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:08 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 11,058
Do you know if the refrigerator doors were closed all that time? Might be some mold inside.

Check your tire pressures.

I have two toilets and I keep water in them all the time while not in use, otherwise the seals dry out and the toilet won't hold water.

For future times when you drop off your coach at a repair place....take your cellphone and do a walk around videoing the exterior of the coach. I usually have one of the employees with me so they know I'll check it when I pick it up.

Had a place scratch my coach when in for service and they denied all knowledge. Now I will have proof if they damage it.
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
It's so weird being the same age as old people.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:26 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Tha_Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamicamper View Post
Hello, long story short I own a 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 36f I purchased in March of last year. There were a few minor warranty issues I had and so I drove it 5 hours north to General RV(where I purchased it) to drop it off back in July. On the way there I had a minor rear end accident and so I had them do the repairs on that as well.



I have been in touch with my insurance (Progressive) regarding the rear end damage and it took forever to fix mainly because of COVID, and I'm OK with that. Progressive has been great, General RV the jury is still out. General RV finally called me last week to tell me everything is complete, both the warranty issues and the rear end damage.



My service advisor is difficult to get a hold of and I am not confident that they actually did fix everything, so I am having a RV inspector that was recommended on this forum to go check it out, plus to do a general overall check of the RV since my one year warranty expires in March and its been sitting there. If there's anything that needs addressing under warranty I am going to have him point it out to me.



I already told General RV to perform an oil change for me, is there anything else I should have them do for me that maybe i'm not thinking of. The generator hasn't been run in 6 months so I am a little concerned about that, I just hate the fact that it has been there abandoned for so long. Any other tips or advice that I can have the inspector look at will be very helpful. Thank you so much


One thing make sure the damage is fixed to your satisfaction or once you leave with it your insurance company will not help you out.
__________________
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 307
Concerning the generator:
Once your ready to drive the rig off the lot, see how much gas you have in the MH gas tank. Go to Walmart and buy some Sea Foam. About $7/bottle. One bottle will treat 20gal. of gas. Pour the necessary number of bottles in the main gas tank. Then drive for a couple miles so it all sloshes and mixes thoroughly in all the gas.

Prime the generator then start your generator. It may be a little difficult at first because it's sat for awhile but get it started. If you continue to try to start it and it doesn't start after the 2nd or 3rd try you probably will see blinking lights on the start/stop switch. This is a over cranking error. Just let it rest for about 5 minutes and the system will reset and the lights will go off. Prime it a for a couple more seconds then try to restart.

Once it starts, let it warm up for 5 minutes. Then put at least a 50% load on it. ie., turn on a AC unit, your heat pump, the fridge or whatever. Just put at least a 50% load on the generator. Then let it run like that for one hour or more. You can run that puppy while you drive all the way home. This will exercise the generator properly, clean out the entire fuel system in your generator and MH, drive out any moisture, clean the slip rings etc. Once you arrive, turn everything off inside the coach that you turned on, let the generator to con't to run for 5 minutes so it can cool down properly then shut it off.

From now on, exercise your generator like this every month except using the sea foam.
__________________
Traveling Full Timers
Gas Motorhome
Escapees, Maintenance Freak
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:14 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Miamicamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 321
Wow thank you guys for the replies. Iíve never heard of that sea foam, I will definitely try it! And Iíll definitely have the generator running e whole way. Thank you so much
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 11,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamicamper View Post
Wow thank you guys for the replies. Iíve never heard of that sea foam, I will definitely try it! And Iíll definitely have the generator running e whole way. Thank you so much
Once a year I put five cans of Seafoam in my 75 gallon gas tank just before a trip.

On that trip I run the generator at least an hour so that the Seafoam cleans out the generator carburetor.

Seafoam is about $8 a can at Walmart or Amazon.
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
It's so weird being the same age as old people.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:41 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
SuperGewl's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,516
Personally if it were me I would arrange to pick it up ASAP. now when you do this plan a 3-5 camping trip right there in the area of the repair shop. While you are camping, you run and test everything in the MH several times. This will also give time to fully check out everything. Make a list of everything you find wrong and drop it back off at the dealer for repair with a copy of the list of needed repairs. Keep the Maintenance Supervisor and you Sales Representative in the loop of what yo plan to do. Be nice and keep records of all repairs performed under warranty. This will come in handy when they break again.
__________________
Retired Navy Submariner
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F; 5 Star tuned; 2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
SuperGewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:58 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Miamicamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Personally if it were me I would arrange to pick it up ASAP. now when you do this plan a 3-5 camping trip right there in the area of the repair shop. While you are camping, you run and test everything in the MH several times. This will also give time to fully check out everything. Make a list of everything you find wrong and drop it back off at the dealer for repair with a copy of the list of needed repairs. Keep the Maintenance Supervisor and you Sales Representative in the loop of what yo plan to do. Be nice and keep records of all repairs performed under warranty. This will come in handy when they break again.


Thank you for the reply. Yeah I am definitely planning on camping in it up there the day I pick it up. But I hired that certified inspector to go do a more thorough check up before I drive the five hours up there. So basically Iím doing what you said except Iím spending 600 bucks to save me the hassle of driving all the way up there just to leave it with them again the next day
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RV has been "sitting" PIGRIG MH-General Discussions & Problems 28 06-14-2018 02:16 PM
just bought '83 but has been sitting...advice please? bryanf New Member Check-In 14 11-16-2007 12:35 PM
330 CAT been sitting for two years?????? Ragman MH-General Discussions & Problems 7 10-01-2007 05:35 PM
So, really, how long has it been (it may feel like it but it hasn't been forever) Starship Just Conversation 38 03-06-2006 02:22 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.