Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #1

RV House Batteries

Hello, my wife and I are full timers, and need some new house batteries. 6v deep cycle, 2 of them. Any suggestions.
Thanks
miklosb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2020, 02:38 PM   #2

If you don't need a lot of power ( 12 volt ) and seldom boondock .

Costco , Sam's Club . Last Costco 6 volt deep cycle I purchased were $84 US.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:25 PM   #3

Batteries

Will they start the generator.
miklosb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #4

The less expensive batteries suggested will easily start the generator.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklosb View Post
Will they start the generator.
Yes .
The main difference , beside price is the Amp Hour rating , the Interstate batteries at Costco compare in rating to the lower line of Trojan in AH's ; you can get batteries with higher ratings that will provide more power longer for boondocking but you'll pay 50/60% more.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #6

If you full time, go ahead and buy something good like Trojan T105's, or the taller T115 , note Trojan now makes a cheaper T605 designed to compete on price with the more generic 6V golf cart batteries.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:53 PM   #7

I prefer the Costco/SAMs club 6V option as stated above.
Also, the big Trojan’s sometimes cannot fit in your battery compartment. Too tall.

So measure twice, buy once.
taylorbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:34 PM   #8

It should be noted that the Trojan T105 is the same physical size as the Costco, etc 6V batteries, though they are heavier.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #9

You are worth the best possible. This is not a practice run. It's Your one and only life. Buy Lipo4s never have to worry about over or under charge or fill the water. Plus you will have double of the usable amp hrs
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbwitt View Post
You are worth the best possible. This is not a practice run. It's Your one and only life. Buy Lipo4s never have to worry about over or under charge or fill the water. Plus you will have double of the usable amp hrs
Lithium has some very good attributes but that's an expensive can of worms. Your inverter/charger needs to be reprogrammed if is old may not support lithium. Lithium batteries don't like it too hot or too cold...
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

6v GC2 golf car deep cycles come is two amp-hour sizes, 210 and 230. The 210 has about 60 lbs or lead and the 230 has about 66, and the price is commensurate.

The premier brands like Trojan and Royce may be a bit more rugged in construction but an AH is an AH regardless and all brands are built tough for the golf car (etc) market. And just about all of them come from the same 4 major US battery makers, regardless of the brand name on the outside of the case. I'd buy whatever brand I could get at the lowest price per AH. Costco & Sam's Club are good choices if you are a member.

The AH rating described how much total power is available (how long it can deliver), so if you camp off-grid get the larger size.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
6v GC2 golf car deep cycles come is two amp-hour sizes, 210 and 230. The 210 has about 60 lbs or lead and the 230 has about 66, and the price is commensurate.

The premier brands like Trojan and Royce may be a bit more rugged in construction but an AH is an AH regardless and all brands are built tough for the golf car (etc) market. And just about all of them come from the same 4 major US battery makers, regardless of the brand name on the outside of the case. I'd buy whatever brand I could get at the lowest price per AH. Costco & Sam's Club are good choices if you are a member.

The AH rating described how much total power is available (how long it can deliver), so if you camp off-grid get the larger size.
There are only 4 manufacture but the individual companys have there brand built to there specs. I live in a golf community and through the years have learned it's true you get what u pay for. The Trojans have the biggest lead plates my golf cart goes 1 mph faster and lasts longer than my previous brand.
You stated you want to boondock in the long run Battle Born Lithium Lipo 4swill be lowest cost per amph hour plus you will enjoy your life a lot better with great batteries. Call Battle Born. Have your brand ,model # and the charge rate of your inverter/charge. They will let you know what you will need if anything on the conversion to lithium Lipo 4
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #13

While buying your lead acid 6V golf cart batteries, invest in a single point watering system. One a month, break out the pump and top them off. It just isn't that hard. AGMs and Lithiums are a waste of money.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #14

i buy at interstae and the refurbished extreme are like $54 and gaureented 6 months. i always have them load test in front of me some dont test as new. most do..i put em in my truck my tractor 4 of em in my last london air.. no problems..

Tags
batteries, house batteries