Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Insurance question

I have always insured my RV with my regular auto insurance, but I keep reading about "RV Insurance". What is special about RV insurance? Do I really need it with an older RV? I have talked to agents, but a not convinced that I need it. Has any one that did not have special RV insurance have any claims that they had problems with.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #2

My understanding is when full timing you need some additional coverage otherwise I have always used my normal insurance agent to get coverage for my rv’s.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #3

I have my car and home with Hartford / AARP and my motorhome. Very good rates. Have not had a claim but I have no bad expectations if I do. I have towing and some other stuff on the RV policy I thought was a nice touch that is standard.
pfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You meed "RV insurance" so that you have coverage for the house and contents, essentially the equivalent of home-owners insurance. Standard vehicle insurance policies typically exclude such things, e.g. your tvs, appliances, awnings, personal property (cothing, etc) and so on.

That doesn't mean you need a different insurance company, though. Most all of the major insurers offer RV policies that have different coverages than a car policy. Just make sure the policy identifies the vehicle as an RV.

If you don't need collision and comprehensive on that "old RV", i.e. have liability coverage only, then there is no difference between cars and RVs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Insurance

I agree with Gary’s advice. Read the fine print to be sure of adequate coverage. It goes without saying that an RV is way more complex than an automobile or truck.

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:47 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
But more similar to homeowners in that liability will cover if a kid trips over your sewer hose, face plants and loses his permanent teeth. You don't get that with typical auto insurance.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #7

Some years back I had our Winnebago Chieftain insured as part of our Allstate car coverage. After getting volumes of Good Sam insurance promotions in the mail, I called and got a quote for half the cost of the Allstate policy. The response to my question of how could this be true was that they had a good database of RV'ers and they had less accidents than cars. I'm neither a Good Sam proponent or hater, so suggest this conversation doesn't disintegrate into a Good Sam tirade. From a cost and service standpoint their insurance (only) has been a good deal for me for 25 years. BTW, my roadside assistance is with Coach.Net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
I have always insured my RV with my regular auto insurance, but I keep reading about "RV Insurance". What is special about RV insurance? Do I really need it with an older RV? I have talked to agents, but a not convinced that I need it. Has any one that did not have special RV insurance have any claims that they had problems with.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But more similar to homeowners in that liability will cover if a kid trips over your sewer hose, face plants and loses his permanent teeth.
Do not assume that personal liability coverage is included in an RV insurance policy like it typically is with homeowners. It is more often an additional coverage that must be specified if you want it. You don't necessarily get it just because you mentioned "RV" to the sales agent.

Some "fulltimer" policies include that extra liability feature, but most Rv owners also own a house and have that as part of their insurance portfolio anyway, so no need to pay twice for it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #9

Most rv insurance covers awning, trip interruption (pay for hotel if needed) and regular stuff.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #10

I had a very Bad experience with a popular "RV Insurance Company in Oregon" (recommended by full timers) which left me without any insurance coverage for 2 weeks while I was traveling in the coach. I had signed up for paperless communication but the cancellation notice was sent snail mail and no mention of it by email. This all happened because the agent or the insurance company had reversed 2 numbers on my checking account, which did not allow payment to go through. On top of that they charged me for an insufficient funds check. With a $2,000. deductible, most of the furniture would not be covered anyway. Forget the furniture, I want real insurance on the coach. I'm staying with State Farm.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #11

I have had progressive on 2 cars , the house and our m.h. for about 25 years. 2 weeks ago we ran off the road into a 7 foot high pile of dirt in a corn field, and progressive just sent me a chek for the amount of money less a little, to cover the total loss. we have never had a claim against them before
Old 10-29-2017, 06:51 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Do not assume that personal liability coverage is included in an RV insurance policy like it typically is with homeowners. It is more often an additional coverage that must be specified if you want it. You don't necessarily get it just because you mentioned "RV" to the sales agent.

Some "fulltimer" policies include that extra liability feature, but most Rv owners also own a house and have that as part of their insurance portfolio anyway, so no need to pay twice for it.
So Gary are you saying one's homeowner liability will extend to their MH while not parked in the driveway? It was only a few dollars more, so I added it to my RV insurance.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
zzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You meed "RV insurance" so that you have coverage for the house and contents, essentially the equivalent of home-owners insurance. Standard vehicle insurance policies typically exclude such things, e.g. your tvs, appliances, awnings, personal property (cothing, etc) and so on.

That doesn't mean you need a different insurance company, though. Most all of the major insurers offer RV policies that have different coverages than a car policy. Just make sure the policy identifies the vehicle as an RV.

If you don't need collision and comprehensive on that "old RV", i.e. have liability coverage only, then there is no difference between cars and RVs.
What do you need to look for (as in what specific insurance terminology) to be sure you have the right kind of coverage?

Here's the quote I got recently on a new 2017 Thor Outlaw 37BG:

Coverage
Limit
Deductible
Premium
Bodily Injury
100M/300M
$15.70
Property Damage
100M
$14.71
Medical Payments