RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #57

There is a valve cover and the back or the alternator in your picture.

You need to laughter and look up to see the starter. It has a battery cable and some small wires in it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There is a valve cover and the back or the alternator in your picture.

You need to laughter and look up to see the starter. It has a battery cable and some small wires in it.
I will get under the RV and look tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by behing19 View Post
I will get under the RV and look tomorrow.
I'm sorry, that should have said "Lay on your back", not laughter.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:49 AM   #60

I was thinking when you try to start the coach try putting pressure up on the gear shift lever or try to start it in neutral ,you might have the neutral safety switch misaligned if that does nothing. Get under and look up on the passenger side you should be able to see the starter where the exhaust comes out of engine there should be 2 or 3 bolts holding it into the transmission bell housing and 1 at the other end holding a bracket. I think the starter solenoid is built into your starter , first check and see if the cable connections are tight if not tighten them. then with a screw drive try to make contact with the battery cable and the small post be careful that should make a spark. If the starter engages then your going to have to trace the wire back there maybe an inline fuse in the cable thats burnt out.I will be watching for your out come.
steppinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
One other thing to try is to hit the starter with a hammer while having your wife trying to start it.
kwittintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinstone View Post
I was thinking when you try to start the coach try putting pressure up on the gear shift lever or try to start it in neutral ,you might have the neutral safety switch misaligned if that does nothing. Get under and look up on the passenger side you should be able to see the starter where the exhaust comes out of engine there should be 2 or 3 bolts holding it into the transmission bell housing and 1 at the other end holding a bracket. I think the starter solenoid is built into your starter , first check and see if the cable connections are tight if not tighten them. then with a screw drive try to make contact with the battery cable and the small post be careful that should make a spark. If the starter engages then your going to have to trace the wire back there maybe an inline fuse in the cable thats burnt out.I will be watching for your out come.
Found the starter and I do get a spark when I use a screw driver to cross the poles. The wires are all tight on it and I didn't see any inline fuses going from the starter to the battery. I have checked all of the fuses I can find and they are all good.

If the starter sparks it's obviously getting power. I will need to get my wife to try to help start it while crossing the poles. If this works, does it mean I have a bad starter? If so, how hard are these to replace. I did the fuel filter myself, which was pretty easy, but I don't want to attempt something I shouldn't. Also don't want to pay a mechanic $125 an hour for something I can do myself.

Thank you,

Benjamin Ehinger
Old 10-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by behing19 View Post
Found the starter and I do get a spark when I use a screw driver to cross the poles. The wires are all tight on it and I didn't see any inline fuses going from the starter to the battery. I have checked all of the fuses I can find and they are all good.

If the starter sparks it's obviously getting power. I will need to get my wife to try to help start it while crossing the poles. If this works, does it mean I have a bad starter? If so, how hard are these to replace. I did the fuel filter myself, which was pretty easy, but I don't want to attempt something I shouldn't. Also don't want to pay a mechanic $125 an hour for something I can do myself.

Thank you,

Benjamin Ehinger
did you try the gear shift selector while turning the key making sure it's in park all the way? with the screw driver across the post the starter will not do anything? I would say the starter is no good then before you take it out disconnect the battery then remove and replace the same way. Removing the starter should be an easy fix but before you buy an other one have the auto parts store check the starter first so your not throwing money out the window because they may not refund your money if this does not fix the issue seeing it's electrical.
steppinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinstone View Post
did you try the gear shift selector while turning the key making sure it's in park all the way? with the screw driver across the post the starter will not do anything? I would say the starter is no good then before you take it out disconnect the battery then remove and replace the same way. Removing the starter should be an easy fix but before you buy an other one have the auto parts store check the starter first so your not throwing money out the window because they may not refund your money if this does not fix the issue seeing it's electrical.
Yes. I tried pushing on the gear shift and tried it in neutral and neither did anything different.

I have not yet tried to start it with the screw driver across the posts. Just put it across and it sparked, but wasn't trying to start it because I need to get my wife to help with that.

If the starter needs replaced and I can do it, I will be ordering the part online and having it delivered as we don't have a car to go to a parts store.

I will update this thread more once I get the chance to try to start it with my wife and the screwdriver across the starter.

Thank you,

Benjamin Ehinger
Old 10-23-2016, 05:45 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Napa and some other stores deliver...
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '18 MB CLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #66

Okay, here's the update.

I had my wife try to start the RV while I put a screwdriver across the posts on the starter. It took a couple of times for me to get it timed with her trying to start it, but it did fire up and start.

Once we shut it off, it fired up again immediately. Then, we waited about 15-20 minutes and tried again. It didn't start on the first try, but did start after the second try. I don't know if this is normal when a starter has gone bad or needs replaced.

If this is for sure a starter that needs replaced, I am pretty confident I can do the job. It's not exactly easy to get to, but once I am under there, I can maneuver enough to get it out and get a new one in. I will be taking pictures first because I don't want to screw anything up.

Any helpful tips for replacing the starter are much appreciated and anybody willing to confirm this is indeed the issue, please speak up.

Thank you,

Benjamin Ehinger
Old 10-25-2016, 12:05 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ben E...
There are shims under the starter mount that must be transferred to the new starter.
Sounds like you may have dead spots on your starter armature or a bad solenoid.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '18 MB CLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:12 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Ben E...
There are shims under the starter mount that must be transferred to the new starter.
Sounds like you may have dead spots on your starter armature.
Okay. I will look for the shims when I change it. My dad said the same thing about dead spots on the armature. I am going to order a new starter this week. I believe the right one for our 1999 Fleetwood Flair on the Chevy p30 chassis with a 454 7.4 engine is this one:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...AC3371022.html

Thank You,

Benjamin Ehinger
Old 10-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #69

Something to add on the starter swap, the large wire is ALWAYS hot, you must disconnect the battery under the hood, unplug shore power and use the house battery disconnect switch for it to be dead for sure! You do not want it arcing 6" from your face while you are under there.
bigjim1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim1959 View Post
Something to add on the starter swap, the large wire is ALWAYS hot, you must disconnect the battery under the hood, unplug shore power and use the house battery disconnect switch for it to be dead for sure! You do not want it arcing 6" from your face while you are under there.
Very good to know. I will make sure to shut everything down while I am working on it.

Tags
fuel