Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2022, 11:13 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Roof Cure-All?

Anybody tried this? Any thoughts on it?

https://rvlife.com/rv-roof-flex-armor/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2022, 11:57 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A "young" RV doesn't need it, and neither does an old one unless you really love it. By the time the roof is crapping out so is the rest of the vehicle so "lifetime" is a bit of a specious benefit. I don't need a warranty any longer than my term of ownership, which for any vehicle is usually a single digit number of years. If they offered a lower cost option with a shorter warranty the performance benefits can be a selling point but with something with as limited a lifespan as an RV has, I won't pay extra for a lifetime roof. A few hundred bucks for a silicone coating will carry you for years, and likely long enough for most. Every situation is different and there's likely a value there for some but you have to run the numbers.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 01:17 PM   #3

Basically the same stuff as people have been coating pickup truck beds with for years. Given the shine on it I'd say they were using a formulation closer to concrete floor coating. Either way that stuff is impressively tough. Given the way its sister products have performed as truck bedliners for years now, I can see a "lifetime" warranty on it.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:43 PM   #4

I found info on their site that sounds like the price starts at $165/foot (length of your RV). 30' RV would be $5000. Not sure if that includes prep. Pretty sure it wouldn't include any repairs. It could also just be the "starting" price that ends up climbing higher once you get an actual estimate/quote.

Looks/sounds like an amazing product that is very strong. But that's pretty pricey. If you've got a $150,000 RV that you plan on keeping for 10 years, then maybe not as big a deal. If you've got a $30-40k RV that you might have for 3-5 years, well maybe it's not a good move. I resealed my 30' Class C TPO roof a couple years ago with the Dicor sealer after properly cleaning the roof. I felt great about it when it went on, and I feel great about it 2 years later (still looks great). My cost was only ~$250 for materials.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/rv-roof-sealing-project-524232.html

There are also other paint on products (Hengs for example) that probably work fine also. They add a thick layer over the existing caulking which fills any cracks. It also adds a nice layer on top of the roof to better protect it from the UV, scratches, etc. If you can paint a room in your home, you can complete this DIY project. Of course you need to be safe while on the roof.

Good luck!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:46 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pricey product..
it is not a bandaide or DIY fix.
They require a solid , like new roof, or a redone stripped and replaced roof...

Roofs go bad from the penetrations (AC,Vents etc) as they leak and start the down hill death...
Also the Edge seams /trim/caps and or awning rail.. is a huge leak point especially after years of over the road twisting..

The OEM Roof itself normally looks like new for 10-20 years as long as leaks dont get under it or moisture inside a closed up stored unit starts the degrade..

My 22 year old Filon Roof MH looked great, never sealed. IT did have a AC seal leak, awning rail leak. skylight crack.. and on a portion where the roof rolled downward at cab, a few small non leaking cracks where found after scrub and powerwash,,

The last thing on my mind was spending 7500-9000 on a roaf coating..when I paid less for RV..

If it was a 150K RV,, I still would not unless I problem was apparent and not much choice to remady..
. SO fixed that stuff proper and sealed roof with a 2 coat system.. I am on 4th year,, looks great..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:56 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very Thoughtful Comments

As always, appreciate the input. Thanks for your observations.

Guy G
Old 11-13-2022, 08:35 PM   #7

I have used a product from Lowes on metal roofs on a shed, mobile home, and an old TT:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-JACK-...rranty/1015511

I would do more research before using it on a membrane roof.

I have not used it my MH because the roof is in good condition.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:35 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
Anybody tried this? Any thoughts on it?

https://rvlife.com/rv-roof-flex-armor/

have it on my MoHo for about 2 years and love it, the peace of mine is great.
Kevan & Rebecca 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:57 AM   #9

What I don't understand is they spray ontop of EPDM roofs...which is just laid ontop of the roof structure and pinned to the sides...so what happens when the EPDM gets ripped and the water slides underneath it? Right under the very expensive spray coating. No stronger than the original EPDM.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:04 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
What I don't understand is they spray ontop of EPDM roofs...which is just laid ontop of the roof structure and pinned to the sides...so what happens when the EPDM gets ripped and the water slides underneath it? Right under the very expensive spray coating. No stronger than the original EPDM.

Flex Armor removes the EPDM and repairs any damaged wood so they can offer a life time warranty.
Kevan & Rebecca 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:50 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
A "young" RV doesn't need it, and neither does an old one unless you really love it. By the time the roof is crapping out so is the rest of the vehicle so "lifetime" is a bit of a specious benefit. I don't need a warranty any longer than my term of ownership, which for any vehicle is usually a single digit number of years. If they offered a lower cost option with a shorter warranty the performance benefits can be a selling point but with something with as limited a lifespan as an RV has, I won't pay extra for a lifetime roof. A few hundred bucks for a silicone coating will carry you for years, and likely long enough for most. Every situation is different and there's likely a value there for some but you have to run the numbers.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. For those that don't have a fiberglass roof, this could be a lifesaver. TPO or membrane roofs don't fair well when going thru the woods or in RV parks with trees that are not properly maintained. One low branch and OOPS there goes a tear. But wait you didn't see it so 2 months from then when you get up on the roof to look at things due to water dripping from the ceiling you find it. So now $2k later and wait I didn't include the roof repair so let's make it $5k later. Well, you see, you can pay me now or you can really pay me later.
As I said we can agree to disagree.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:53 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had this roof installed in May of this year (2022) Cost for me was $185 per foot not including repairs which I did have to have done. They absolutely remove the membrane so there is NO chance that the membrane would come loose thus the FlexArmor material coming loose also. I have a Bounder 35H which is a little over 36 feet but they do not measure the vehicle itself, just the membrane area and enough to extend over both the end caps. It was not cheap but just never having to get up on the roof twice (or more) times a year for maintenance is worthwhile. The lifetime gaurantee is transferable there by making it a valuable selling point when that day comes. It isn't automatic though. You, the current owner, have to m,ake the transfer so if you don't sell for what you really want you can retain it.

The photo shows the thickness of the material. This is my rear cap. Sorry that it's sideways but you can still see the thickness. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220602_134914 (1).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	381979  

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof