Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2005, 10:51 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just purchased an installed an RV Sani-Con waste system. I decided to try it after reading some of the reviews in this forum, especially those touched on by Warpath. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, and would like to ask some questions before we take our first trip with it.

I put some water in the gray tank and pumped it out after installing the system to test the pump. I was forced to install the macerator pump higher than the tank outlets, which leaves standing water in the hose and plastic connector between the waste outlet and the pump. I'm not crazy about the fact that I won't be able to evacuate this water without disconnecting the pump connection, spilling the water inside the dump bay. Anyone else experience this?

Lastly, I have a disabled son that frequently requires the use of moist flushable wipes. Although most people would never use these in an RV waste system, clogs were never an issue thanks to the use of the Flush King backflush valve that I've used. The macerator outlet however is small in diameter, and the macerator blade itself appears to be quite small. I am worried that the continued use of the wipes will clog up the pump. Anyone with this system experience any problems along these lines?

Thanks!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2005, 10:51 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just purchased an installed an RV Sani-Con waste system. I decided to try it after reading some of the reviews in this forum, especially those touched on by Warpath. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, and would like to ask some questions before we take our first trip with it.

I put some water in the gray tank and pumped it out after installing the system to test the pump. I was forced to install the macerator pump higher than the tank outlets, which leaves standing water in the hose and plastic connector between the waste outlet and the pump. I'm not crazy about the fact that I won't be able to evacuate this water without disconnecting the pump connection, spilling the water inside the dump bay. Anyone else experience this?

Lastly, I have a disabled son that frequently requires the use of moist flushable wipes. Although most people would never use these in an RV waste system, clogs were never an issue thanks to the use of the Flush King backflush valve that I've used. The macerator outlet however is small in diameter, and the macerator blade itself appears to be quite small. I am worried that the continued use of the wipes will clog up the pump. Anyone with this system experience any problems along these lines?

Thanks!

Craig

Old 05-30-2005, 04:54 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hey Craig,

On my last setup I also had my pump higher than the outlet. It will not hurt a thing to just leave that water sit in there, no need to empty it.

Wipes are another story. I ran in to troubles when some one put the higher end wipes that had the plastic liner in them. Not sure if they makes those any more, but that plast would collect on the blade tips and it would no longer grind. Quite a mess to fix.

Those new flushable wipes may not be a problem, as long as they tare up like toilet paper does you should be fine. You may want to run a clean test just to be sure.

I will be installing a system in my new motorhome in a week or so and will detail the install.

Bill
Old 05-30-2005, 05:35 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Warpath:
You may want to run a clean test just to be sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good idea Bill. Think I'll try that here at home. Thanks!

Have you ever found the need to temporarily disconnect the system during a trip and go back to the old method for any reason? I'm debating whether or not I should still carry my older sewer hose.

Craig

Old 06-06-2005, 03:24 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Nope never.

Although with anything mechanical like this it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a small 3" hose in a bin just in case the motor where to fail.

Sometimes it is good to think like a Boyscout

Bill
Old 06-06-2005, 06:03 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Warpath:
Sometimes it is good to think like a Boyscout[QUOTE]

A lot of truth to that!

Thanks Bill.

Craig

Old 06-21-2005, 06:17 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE:
I just returned from my first trip using the RV Sani-Con system. Unfortunately I was disappointed. The two areas of disappointment are the gray water bypass, and the back flushing abilities of the system. The gray water bypass will not allow one to completely empty the gray water tank. It seems to need a certain amount of pressure, before the water will start draining through the small bypass line. This leaves several gallons (at least in my case) of gray water in the tank. That is important to me when I'm camping with no sewer hook up, and I'm draining into my tote tank.

The system is designed to allow you to pump gray water into the black water tank in order to back flush it. I wasn't too crazy about opening both waste tank valves at the same time. I've read that it's not a good idea to do that, as the black tank odors can then easily contaminate the gray tank. I tried this regardless, and found it ineffective. With my old sewage system, I employed the "Flush King" valve, which would throughly rinse out the tank. The RV Sani-Con system left behind a great deal of waste.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming the RV Sani-Con system. I'm still very glad I bought it. I originally intended to use it only when I need to dump at home, and pump waste into the clean-out on the side of my home. The system does a very good job at this. I'm just not that pleased overall with it's every day use. A good thing about the RV Sani-Con system is that you can leave it in place, and still use the original drain method. You can easily re-connect the system when you want to fire it up again. It's no more work than disconnecting a sewage hose.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Craig,
I found that if I use the gray water bypass, that it does take some time to drain the tank.
Could you not use the pump while you are emptying it into your tote?
I'm also like you that I am not real happy transferring gray to the black tank. When I do that, I usually only transfer a small amount and only if I have a pretty full gray tank so that there is a lot of pressure of forcing the water from gray to black.
I have a flush system on mine so I can back fill the black tank with it,like you used to do with your flush king.
Also, you are probably correct that sometimes it is better to put the ole 3" hose on to dump, expecially if you are a dump and people are waiting behind you.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote