Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #1

RV show

Had the first local RV show this weekend, so the wife and I decided to look around. Wow were we disappointed at the new colors and quality of build. I always new the RV industry cut lots of corners but the new ones are a lot worse. I suppose some of it is to lower overall weight, but the finishes on most models is just plain crappy. We found finnish trim around bathroom fixtures awefull, and the countertop coverings were peeling up on the corners on many models. No longer a solid countertop or even formica, just a thin laminate that comes up easily on the edges almost like a vinyl covering to keep moisture off...Shame, shame on the RV industry, it sure makes our older 1994 look like a gem!! All the sales pitches are for all the electronic gizmo's that will certainly go haywire shortly down the road and require expensive repairs. When ours comes out of storage I think I will give it a big hug and tell it thanks for being a good old unit...
airshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #2

It all depends on what you were looking at. Many, Many manufacturers have quality products and maybe you just missed seeing them or centered your "looking" at low cost models.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #3

We also attended our first local RV Show and was disappointed with the amount of vender booths. You had your typical RV’s to view, but if you aren’t in the market for a NEW rig the show disappointed. Didn’t see any of the gadgets that make camping life easier. I was interested in getting some information on solar panels and there wasn’t a booth for that. Our storage facility and repair shop had booths, but overall left me underwhelmed.
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #4

I went to a local show last year and walked away with much the same thoughts, how can a $300,000 coach have a bathroom door that will not close all the way, ....
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #5

I agree we were not looking a high end models as there were none at this show, in fact very few MH were even there. However in general based on what we saw, most all the TT and 5r's that were at the show displayed a poor standard of quality buildmenship if you will, on all the finnish work. Many different mfgrs were on display. If I were going to pay 25-30 grand on a 26' TT I would expect a solid or at least a formica countertop, not a vinyl laminated soon to peel off cheapy. I even made mention this to many of the sales personnel and they just seemed to shrug their shoulders. In fact one guy stated that is what they send us, so that is what we sell! One unit had a cutaway on a wall to show internal construction, the panels are about 3/32" thick at best, backed up with foam board and a 2x2 every 4'....pitifull.. Be interesting to see how long these last, lets see them in 20 - 25yrs.... I expected to see this type of construction on their least expensive camper units but it appeared to be pretty common thru out the entire show, even on campers near the 100,000 range...
airshot is offline   Reply With Quote