Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2021, 10:20 AM   #1

RV skirting ideas

Winter is coming here in the PNW, and it looks like I'll be hanging around for it. If it's anything like where I come from (SE Alaska), that means 34*, 95%RH, and gusty rain for the duration. I'm full-timing on heavily wooded private property, and I'm beginning to feel a chilly breeze coming off the floor. I'd like to make my 40' DP more comfy and energy efficient without spending a lot of money that I don't have.

I think skirting the bus should solve the problem. However, I don't want to make a permanent skirt, and I'd like to come up with a material that isn't too expensive or so bulky that it can't be stored and brought along to the next camp. It's going to take 100 running feet of something. Right now I'm thinking a construction underlay like visqueen. But I don't really know what else is out there.

How are you folks solving this problem? What material are you using, and where did you get it? How's it working out for you?
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2021, 11:31 AM   #2

How about this canvas drop cloth. 100'x5' for $100. https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Set-Can...jaz10cnVl&th=1

You could probably fold over the 5' width to get 2-1/2' which should cover the bottom and get better insulation. Maybe fill the bottom loop with sand to keep it from flopping around and tape both upper pieces to your coach with duct tape, staggered so you have two strips of duct tape.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Figuring out how to attach any type of skirting will be the trick.
My wanted to make a fencing that would stop the small dogs from running under the coach. I took some of these https://www.lowes.com/pd/ClosetMaid-...rdware/3036672 and cut the stub off the back and used self taping metal screw to attached them to the angle below the basement opening. They are not visible with the door closed.
If you took some type of material with the grommets in place and string rope through you can then clip the rope onto the above clips. Might have to add grommets so that the skirting is better supported.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:55 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know you said you wanted to take it along, but hay bales are cheap and when you're done they can be easily composted.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:11 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends on what your top priority is for the skirting.

For ease of use and high reuse and portability look into a product called "Air Skirts". They are inflatable air bladders that snug up between the ground on the underside of your RV.
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hay bales are not a great idea, especially deep in the woods. The nearby vermin would really love to move into you nice comfy skirting. If you go with the hay bales, a cat to live under the RV might be a good idea as well.

Ken
Old 12-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #7

The canvas is a good idea. They could be easily attached along the underside of the RV with spring clamps. Those clamps are not too expensive and have many uses.
tarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:31 AM   #8

Made skirting for my TT. Go online and find companies that put up the awning style billboards. They sell the old adds, one can make a replacement awning or skirting with the stuff. Its made to be outside and will sew easy with a normal home sewing machine.
I went with oiled canvas, like the old farm truck type. can be cut and sewn to needs. Stainless snaps and eyelets to anchor to the ground and great temp skirting. To attach to camper, screw in stainless snaps or use the 3M stick on ones for camper.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:18 AM   #9

Look up billboard tarp material. A MH is not easy to skirt. Gaffers tape is more easily removed than duct tape for around wheel wells.
When we skirted friend TT we insulated the whole under floor and used galv. 12' pole building metal. Foam board most used was 25% of waste in approx 36" pieces. It looked like a moon base, everyone in park was impressed. Used foam board on slide side walls. DIY heated hose. Industrial pipe insulation over PVC pipe to dump.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #10

I'm liking the ideas so far, and I'm not seeing a lot of support for my visqueen idea. Those airskirts look like the ideal deal, but I think I could glue money together and make a skirt less expensively. They'd have a double advantage here in the flood zone, since they look like they'd make good pontoons, too. I'll keep an eye out for used bits that I could combine to make the 100' I need.

I had one of those awning-type advertising tarps when I was in Sitka. I liked it as a back porch cover. I was well known up there as a serious motorcyclist, and the tarp was advertising Sturgis. So it was a fun cover to have.

I agree that hay is more vermin-friendly than I'd like. I'm having a daily battle with rats and squirrels here -- I've shot 15 squirrels and trapped as many more in and around the buildings this year. I've stopped counting the rats. They're very destructive, too. I can't put out food for the birds because it baits in the rodents. So I'm clearing underbrush and trash in an attempt to remove their cover and aggressively discouraging them from wanting to live here at a genetic level.

But altogether, the responses are giving me ideas of materials and where to look for them. Keep it coming!
Old 12-05-2021, 03:26 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
If you wanted to keep cost low, perhaps you could still use hay bales but place the bales in the very large 100 gallon heavy duty trash bags which should keep the vermin out... maybe. Just a thought, not one I have ever used though.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:00 PM   #12
Community Moderator

This may resolve your problem -
https://www.airskirts.com/air-the-se...t-rv-skirting/.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #13

I wish i knew how to post a pic. I spent the winter in my forest river 26 foot TT, before retiring and hitting the road. I wanted to make sure i liked it before leaving a good job.
Being a lineman, i had all the stuff at hand to make great temp to permanent skirting. The others thought i was nuts, as they,,,, thought they, had the best plans. Bit by bit, pieces of there stuff would blow away, and get put back on, to blow away again. Me, i used pole pieces from the pole dumpster and very heavy plastic and 4 inch 3M electrical tape. Plastic stapled to wood and tapped to camper. Nothing moved, rodents dont like creasote poles. In the spring, poles went back in dumpster.
Its always an interesting dabate of one cant live in a TT and cant in the winter time. Never had anything frozen, had a 100 gallon propane tank and never refilled it, had quite a bit left in the spring.
The big campers with multiple slides had to have there tanks filled a few times. Me with no slides and a smaller place, had no problems.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:22 AM   #14

I'm working my way up from losing everything. This Mountanaire is an upgrade from the 14' TT I spent two winters in. The TT though I was able to set up on cinder blocks and wood -- a real foundation, minus the mortar. But a hard foundation doesn't work for a motorcoach.

Hay isn't an option. Besides being rigid, there are just too many other downsides.

For the immediate fix I've bought two 50' rolls of cheap 4-mil plastic. It's clear (all the big orange store had in a reasonable width), so it's going to look tacky, but it will do the job until I can find enough material to work with.