Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #1

Unhappy RV Steps won't retract!

We have a 2002 Georgie Boy Suite and the stairs won't go ALL THE WAY in. They START and then won't go any further. I've tried with the switch both ways - with the motor off and on - and just don't know what else to do. Is there a way to FORCE them in so we can at least take it somewhere to have it looked at? You guys have NEVER failed me and here I am again with another problem. Wish I could help you with yours sometime!
Mrs. Phillips
MrsPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #2

First thing I would do is look and make sure something (stick, leaf, rock, animal) is not jammed preventing them from going all the way in. Then I'd get some spray lube and spray every hinge and moving part you can get to. Do not force them as you can create some very expensive damage.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #3

When mine failed due to motor problems, I was able to disconnect the steps from the motor & linkage by removing a pin that connects the linkage to the steps. Then I could fold the steps away and tied them in place with cable ties until they could be repaired. Good luck.

2002 Winnebago Minnie, 331C, Ford E450 chassis
retired cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #4

The first thing to check is the lubrication of the steps. There are MANY points that need to be lubricated, and most people never lube them. You need the kind of lube they sell in bicycle shops called "chain lube". It will spray into the swivel points and then remain after the volatiles evaporate.
Do NOT operate the steps while you or anyone else is underneath...great injury could result. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you need to go, remove the motor.. Carefully tie up the steps. Lots of posts about repairing kwikee steps.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Be very careful when you are working on the steps, either lubing them or trying to disconnect the motor. These things can hurt you by springing out when you least expect it and they can do some real damage to you.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
This must be like the year they programmed all RV steps to stop working!

yeah don't get right underneath it, it would be terrible to deploy into your chest.

How far out are they sticking out when they try to go in..... Is it not possible to drive carefully with them a little out??
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:08 AM   #8

RV Steps won't retract

Thank you ALL so much for the responses. The steps go in about half way - hanging down about 6". We had it parked in the driveway but the problem is it was on a uphill slant BUT we backed it out and the steps only scraped for about 6 or 7" and then we were clear enough to get it on the street. We then BACKED it in and it wasn't as close to the driveway. We wanted to wash it and then we will take it SOMEWHERE (not Camping World) and have it looked at. We are not mechanical and it does sit pretty close to the ground so we cannot get UNDER it - although I got down and REACHED back as far as I could with a can of WD-40 and soaked all the hinges the best I could. I WISH I knew a mobile mechanic that could come and look at them for us but there just doesn't seem to be anyone around these parts!
Mrs. Phillips
MrsPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:17 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well when you scarapped it you may have done serious damage.

WD-40 has some limited lubrication ability and may indeed be what you need just now.

Kwikee steps use a current sensor,, NOT limit switches.. So when the steps hit the stop current in the motor surges and that's what turns 'em off... if it works... (Failures are rare on this)

If the steps bind or hit something.. Current surges and ......
Old 06-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
yikes.

Where are you?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:36 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
There should be a 1/2" or so diameter rod that runs fore and aft the full length of the step, up behind the step. It controls the movement of the step. You cannot see or get to it from the outside. It sounds like it is your problem - lack of lubrication. Get a rug, piece of cardboard, etc. and slide it under the FRONT (not the step) of your MH. Slide under the FRONT, clear of the step and locate the rod with a flashlight. Lubricate every point where the rod goes thru a bracket, etc. WD-40 will work temporarily, but a heavier spray lube/grease will last much longer. Have an assistant open and close the entry door a few times while you are underneath to verify its now operating properly..
CadillLinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Kwikee Lube to use after using the WD-40

on how to lube and all points to clean.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Can you use your foot to push them all the way up as they are retracting? Mine were hanging out about 3/4 the way up. I could push them all the way up with my foot. A year ago last November I cleaned all the pivot points with Brake Clean then applied a spray called Fluid Film. To this day (19 months later) the stairs go up and down without hesitation. Fluid Film is now available at Lowes in the tool section, cost is $9.95. I also use it on my jacks after cleaning them. Great product.

It has become my "Don't Leave Home Without It" item.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #14

First thing is you likely damaged something...

But not all is lost.

Get down next to the steps and look up and into the top of the unit and you will see a shift or axle across the front closest to you with a tab in the center.

Connected to this tab is a linkage to the motor.

Securing this linkage is a pin secured with cotter key that is soft.

With door closed remove pin and separate link from tab.

Steps now free to move.

Look at edges of steps and there should be 1/4 inch holes that line up with steps up and down.

This is be design to allow for manual operation when motor fails.

Pull pin and place steps up or down then insert pin in hole.

If hole not present then make one or tie up or remove assembly and repair.

Tags
steps