Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #1

Safe minimum dual tire clearance?

As I am beginning to think about new tires for my drive axle over the winter, and the fact that I think if you ask 5 different tire shops you'll get a combination of 12 different incorrect answers and old wives' tales ... I figured I'd ask here.

My coach was originally delivered with 255/80R22.5's all the way around. There is a notation in the manuals that back in 2001 the factory swapped the tires to 275/70R22.5's on the steer and 265/75R22.5" on the drive axle. I believe this was done because the coach, as delivered, was tire-limited as far as axle weights -- certainly, as I have it loaded (which is not stuffed) it would be slightly over the ratings for the 255's on the front.

Now, as built, the coach actually has a 19,000 pound rear axle and a 12,000 pound front end, so bumping to the bigger tires didn't impact the safety of the coach itself. And I've been through the coach, underneath, etc., and see nothing negative, so to be honest, I'm not worried.

...so getting back to the point of the thread... I would like to put 275/70R22.5's on the drive axle because there seems to be a MUCH better tire selection in that size. And the diameter should be the same, so no worries there... but of course, I will be narrowing the gap between the duals by 20mm (almost an inch). There seems to be a bunch of clearance between them now (far more than my old 16" tires on my gas motorhome) but I have no idea what the standard for "safe" is.

Thanks!

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #2

As my memory serves me, 1.5" is the minimum between duals as established by USDOT. I cannot find that now though. This is the best I have to offer as documentation: http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston...ualSpacing.pdf
Note: the dual spacing numbers are from center of one rim to center of the other. You may calculate the actual distance between tire sidewalls from tire dimensions from mfgrs. website. For example, divide 275 by 25.4 = 10.8" section width for that tire. Hope this helps.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Dual spacing is determined by rim offset. My 22.5 inch Accuride rims have an offset of 6.44 inches, giving a spacing of 12.88 inches. (In this drawing, HDS is rim offset or Half Dual Spacing) Easy way to get your spacing is to measure from the center of one tread to the center of the other, regardless of the tire size.. Easier than finding the center of the rim....

The tire manufacturer lists diameter, tread width, revolutions per mile and required dual spacing for each tire.
Check your load rating, the 275/80 has a higher maximum load capacity, depending on whether they are load range H or J.
Changing tire size on the rear axle with affect the speedometer, the 275/80 turns 516 revs per mile the 275/75 does 545. About a 5% error.
When the tire mfgr lists the minimum dual spacing, it takes in to account the tire flexing and necessary clearance between the tires.

Hope this helps...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

As Hooligan says, the tire manufacturer sets the minimum required dual spacing for each tire size & model, but the wheel (rim) style and offset limits how much you can actually achieve (without changing to a different wheel, that is). So, you need to establish how much spacing you have with your existing wheels and compare that to how much is required by the tire you want.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote