Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Salesman switch

I have been reading some posts that refer to a salesman switch.

What is it and where can it be found?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Salesman switch

Usually right inside by the front door. On ours, I reach in, turn on the 12V, turn on the master light which turns on every light in the coach. This is when I have it stored.

One thing I found out, the hard way, is turning off my 12v switch turns off my thermostats, so no heat control or A/C from above. So I usually don’t hit the 12v switch when camping unless I’m sure I don’t need heat/cool.

We don’t have kids/animals so less of a concern.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Also known as "battery disconnect switch", "main power switch", "master switch", and "auxiliary power switch". Rv manufacturers use all sorts of names for it, either on the switch or in their manuals. They do not, however, call it the "salesman switch" - that comes from use by RV sales people to quickly & easily turn all lights off/on when showing a coach. That's is NOT its purpose, but since it removes all 12v house power, it effectively turns all the lights off as well.

The purpose of the house battery disconnect switch is to shut off all 12v power to the house systems when storing the RV for extended periods, e.g. off-season. That eliminates small loads that can drain the battery over time.

It's always located by the entry door.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Also known as "battery disconnect switch", "main power switch", "master switch", and "auxiliary power switch". Rv manufacturers use all sorts of names for it, either on the switch or in their manuals. They do not, however, call it the "salesman switch" - that comes from use by RV sales people to quickly & easily turn all lights off/on when showing a coach. That's is NOT its purpose, but since it removes all 12v house power, it effectively turns all the lights off as well.

The purpose of the house battery disconnect switch is to shut off all 12v power to the house systems when storing the RV for extended periods, e.g. off-season. That eliminates small loads that can drain the battery over time.

It's always located by the entry door.
Well Gary,
I agree with about 99.9% of what you stated with the exception of:

"It's always located by the entry door". Well, yes, on some it is. But, on others, it can be, anywhere on or near the dash too. The OP might be looking for it near the door when it's nowhere near it. Depends on the coach builder.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #5

On some units it, the switch by the door or ? may be the battery disconect switch.
But many units have a true, House, master battery disconect switch in or close to the battery box.
Plus the salesman switch. You should be able to start and drive the coach with the salesman switch turned off.
Along with a chassis battery master disconect switch.
Mine are in the battery box.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:25 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
My "Battery Disconnect Switch" is located above the entry door, with the system monitors, inverter switches, etc., behind a swing up cabinet door
Old 01-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #7

On my coach "salesman switch" shuts off all 12 volt house loads except 12 volt power to fridge controls, and propane and carbon dioxide alarms. A true house battery disconnect [on my coach, on the house battery bank] will shut off everything on house batteries. Start, engine batteries are separate and may or maynot have a disconnect.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #8

Wink Different switches for different functions...

On our Nexus and I am sure many other coaches there are three switches located next to the internal step {down low}. They control the awning, the outside light above the door and the third controls power to the overhead lights throughout the coach.

Thi enables us to turn the interior lights on {on any that have the switch on the fixture turned on} and turn off the outside light as we come home to a darkened interior without having to navigate the stairs in the dark. The awning switch is also very convenient as I want to be able to watch it deploy or retract.

Located just above these three switches is the master DC/battery disconnect switch which I only turn off when storing the rig.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #9

There is no such thing as a Salesman Switch in the real world. Forget you ever heard it. Go to Lowes or HD and try to buy one. It's a battery disconnect switch. Pure and simple.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
There is no such thing as a Salesman Switch in the real world. Forget you ever heard it. Go to Lowes or HD and try to buy one. It's a battery disconnect switch. Pure and simple.
I went to my local Home Depot and asked for a "Salesman Switch"

And the salesman asked me which salesman did I want to switch for
Old 01-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's a battery disconnect switch. Pure and simple.

It's not even that - it's a basic 12v line switch that operates a relay to do the actual battery disconnect. If you asked for a "battery disconnect switch", you would get a heavy switch designed to connect to a battery terminal and make.break the battery cable connection. Something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Car-Side-...ruck/671535092

Lowes isn't exactly the "go to" place for RV components either...
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #12

[QUOTE=Gary RVRoamer;4602782]It's not even that - it's a basic 12v line switch that operates a relay to do the actual battery disconnect. If you asked for a "battery disconnect switch", you would get a heavy switch designed to connect to a battery terminal and make.break the battery cable connection. Something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Car-Side-...ruck/671535092

So if it disconnects the batteries, how come my fridge still has 12 volt power and my 12 volt propane alarm is still on, when I open the "salesman switch"??
If I go to the battery bank and open the manual disconnect, everything shuts down.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My salesman switch also shuts off the power to my drivers seat.
Picked up my coach after having some service work done and noticed my power seat wouldn't work...dang!

Got home and discovered they had removed the tape I had over the switch to prevent it from being used. Sure was glad when the power seats started working then.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
So if it disconnects the batteries, how come my fridge still has 12 volt power and my 12 volt propane alarm is still on, when I open the "salesman switch"??
If I go to the battery bank and open the manual disconnect, everything shuts down.
The latching relay is located in the electrical circuit between the power center and the house battery bank, only removes power from all the 12 volt fused circuits in the power center. Any 12 volt circuit that does not originate in the power center is not controlled (inverter, RV frig, propane detector, etc). Also anything powered by the chassis battery(s) is also not controlled by the latching relay
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale, switch