Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sandy neck beach Air down question (tube tires)

So ive been going out on sandy neck for years. Started with the truck camper. Got a class C got out there no prob. Sold everything... bought a house and now have a old 72 Dodge class A that i fixed up and have yet to take it out there. That being said, I just realized that it has tube type tires. Can I deflate tube tires to the necessary 18lbs to go on the beach, or will it pinch the tube?
Johnnyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Great question. Hopefully an expert will lend their advice soon but I would be afraid of spinning the wheel inside the tire and maybe ripping the valve stems off.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #3

If it was me and this was a regular habit of mine, I would purchase the proper flotation tires for this. That or get by with some planks to drive it on...
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuge View Post
If it was me and this was a regular habit of mine, I would purchase the proper flotation tires for this. That or get by with some planks to drive it on...
Ill look into flotation tires, i didnt realize they made tire specifically for that
Old 07-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
hmm, Can I put tubeless tires on my rims now ( that currently run with tubes)?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Johnnyd111.......Most tube type rims can't be run tubeless. I'm guessing you have 16" rims with really narrow tires. If you air those down, you may break the bead lose.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm not so much worried about the bead, then the tube itself. I'm looking for a set of tubeless rims that I can switch out.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All I can do is confirm a few things.

If you have split rims or non-tubless rims, you need a tube.

You cannot really air down tube based tires. The tube will help keep the bead seated, but if the tire spins at all the valve stem is at risk. If memory serves, the bead on a tubeless tire is tighter and stronger than that of the tube tires.

Hopefully finding the right rims will be easy. Also at the right price.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyd111 View Post
So ive been going out on sandy neck for years. Started with the truck camper. Got a class C got out there no prob. Sold everything... bought a house and now have a old 72 Dodge class A that i fixed up and have yet to take it out there. That being said, I just realized that it has tube type tires. Can I deflate tube tires to the necessary 18lbs to go on the beach, or will it pinch the tube?
if your existing tires are good and do not need to be replaced and if you are on a tight budget, you might consider the old drag racers trick of drilling the rim and inserting small screws into the bead to keep the tire from spinning on the rim when running low pressure.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L

if your existing tires are good and do not need to be replaced and if you are on a tight budget, you might consider the old drag racers trick of drilling the rim and inserting small screws into the bead to keep the tire from spinning on the rim when running low pressure.
Hmmmm sort of scary but not a bad idea
Old 07-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
well, if i try to find dually tubeless rims, anyone know where i can find them? other than craigslist or ebay or my local junk
Old 07-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
johnny,
i do not know what your dual tire spacing is. you must be very careful when airing down dual tires. you do not want the sidewalls touching. even kissing would not be good. it will be necessary to have a compressor available to reinflate the tires before driving on pavement.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires