Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 12:27 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Saved (or panicked?) by whole house water filter

Tonight the 4 star RV resort we're staying in suffered an underground water line break. My wife was doing laundry at the time so we were hooked up to camp water. After finishing dinner, I went out to put away the fresh water hose for the night as the temperature tonight will be well below freezing.

Was interrupted by campground maintenance personnel who informed me of the water main break and that they would be shutting off the water to the campground until some time tomorrow. No problem for me as I've got at least 60 gal in my fresh water tank.

Go in to do dishes and no water (hot or cold) on internal pump.
Run out and no hot water on internal pump in wet bay. Pump doesn't start.
Cold water in wet bay is fine. Internal pump runs fine.
So I figure something from the water main break is blocking plumbing lines. Multiple hours of trouble shooting - no resolution. Start looking up RV repair and plumbing providers to call in the morning. Why do things always break late at night????

After chilling a couple of hours I remember that there is a whole house water filter on my fresh water inlet. Go back out into the freezing cold and replace the now very very dirty filter with my spare. Dang (I used stronger language) if that didn't solve the problem!!!

Tonight's lesson learned - the whole house filter not only filters all fresh water from the campground but also filters all water from the tank.

Tomorrow, I will drain and flush the fresh water tank, order a new spare filter, install a screen on my fresh water campground hose and thank my luck stars that no damage was done to my house plumbing.

Happy endings to all tonight!
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 05:06 AM   #2

Saved (or panicked?) by whole house water filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nildecaf View Post
Tonight the 4 star RV resort we're staying in suffered an underground water line break. My wife was doing laundry at the time so we were hooked up to camp water. After finishing dinner, I went out to put away the fresh water hose for the night as the temperature tonight will be well below freezing.

Was interrupted by campground maintenance personnel who informed me of the water main break and that they would be shutting off the water to the campground until some time tomorrow. No problem for me as I've got at least 60 gal in my fresh water tank.

Go in to do dishes and no water (hot or cold) on internal pump.

Run out and no hot water on internal pump in wet bay. Pump doesn't start.

Cold water in wet bay is fine. Internal pump runs fine.

So I figure something from the water main break is blocking plumbing lines. Multiple hours of trouble shooting - no resolution. Start looking up RV repair and plumbing providers to call in the morning. Why do things always break late at night????

After chilling a couple of hours I remember that there is a whole house water filter on my fresh water inlet. Go back out into the freezing cold and replace the now very very dirty filter with my spare. Dang (I used stronger language) if that didn't solve the problem!!!

Tonight's lesson learned - the whole house filter not only filters all fresh water from the campground but also filters all water from the tank.

Tomorrow, I will drain and flush the fresh water tank, order a new spare filter, install a screen on my fresh water campground hose and thank my luck stars that no damage was done to my house plumbing.

Happy endings to all tonight!

When was the last time you changed filter before this problem?
Old 03-02-2021, 08:28 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
When was the last time you changed filter before this problem?
6 months. So the filter would have been dirty but not clogged so water couldn't get through it.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:09 PM   #4

I am new to motorhomes having a trailer before. I still use and outside water filter in conjunction with the one in the motorhome. I also use a pressure reducer.

The outside filter was once filled with pvc particles from a repaired watermain at a state park.
Weeds636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:57 PM   #5

You will likely end up with more crud when the water is back up. If filter doesn't filter what's going in tank then I would wait on filling it back up or use a Camco hose filter.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
You will likely end up with more crud when the water is back up. If filter doesn't filter what's going in tank then I would wait on filling it back up or use a Camco hose filter.
Fortunately I was scheduled to move to a new park the morning after the water main break so I didn't have to deal with possible contamination when they turned the water back on. I did tell the office about my problem and suggest the let everyone in the park know they should check their filters but you never know if they followed through.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:39 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Always keep a 1/4 tank of fresh water aboard. During recent TX winter storm in RGV our water supply was shut down 4 times. Gee it got down to 25.
Both sewer and fresh hoses were pulled in.

Tags
water