Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #15

Sorry you are having issues on your trip....EMS is kind of a "black box" to me...but you seemed focused on the fridge [is the fridge residential or RV?]….are you having other issues like A/Cs, plugs, lights or other appliances [eg microwave] not working? Guess the EMS cycling would be a problem. If everything works on genset, that is good news.....Inverter basically behaves the same way on shore power as genset so dont think it is your problem. The issue points to the EMS, transfer switch or shore power cord/reel/plugs.
Often, EMS or surge protectors have a by-pass switch? If not, a qualified service tech could wire around the offending device...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2020, 10:55 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
50a?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandkity View Post
We are 250 miles from home. If anyone has had this problem please explain because we are going to turn around & really disappoint family not seen for years because the frig wouldn't work. We have tried and blamed 3 campgrounds for our problem but it has 2b us. We have a 2005 Bounder 38N. It has a new inverter. Everytime we plug in the 50 amp power, it reads 30 amp on the EMS. It cycles for a longer than normal time than switches to 50 amp than cycles the EMS than switches to 30 AMP over & over. Everything works perfect on generator. Everyone we ask has never heard of this. Any help will make 2 mid 70 year olds be able to see family again.
50a is 4-wire, 2-hots, neutral and ground. From your description and fact that (all OK on GEN power), SUSPECT you have a loose/ broken wire on one of the two hots in the shoreline PLUG. If a MOLDED PLASTIC PLUG, buy new, CUT OFF OLD, and install properly and try again. If SCREWED TOGETHER (previously replaced), disassemble and INSPECT; (If it is NOT in the plug, then suspect ATS/ relay/ relay wiring issues) LUCK to ya.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #17

We're on the way 2camping world for a 50 amp plug even tho visually it looks fine. Slept very little with the genny & hwy noise in Unadilla, GA.
Today we moved 2a spot with shade all around and plugged the 50 amp plug into a 30 amp adapter. The EMS acknowledged the 30 amp service and initialized AC1 then it decided it wanted 50 amp so it changed on the EMS to 50 & all the lights came on. Except were plugged into 30 amp. We're staying here another day. I hope something shows up, I'm beginning to think it's the EMS. ALSO 15 YRS young.
jdandkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Stop and buy bags of ice to go in the fridge so you don't disappoint family, then fix it later.
x2
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Go to the back of the refer and unplug it. Get an extension cord and then plug the refer into the power pedestal. That way the refer is on its own power source. It does not need power 24/7 to keep things cold.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Go to the back of the refer and unplug it. Get an extension cord and then plug the refer into the power pedestal. That way the refer is on its own power source. It does not need power 24/7 to keep things cold.
Don has the easiest solution yet.

I could see the inverter causing a single leg of your 50A system to drop in and out which would cause the EMS to switch between 50A and 30A. It would all depend on how the inverter is wired into the system. If you have it on auto sense the inverter could be turning off and on based on some load. That could cause it to switch the pass thru leg off and on. Perhaps check the settings on your inverter.

I found this in a xantrex owners manual. Probably not your specific model but gives you a little info so you can dig out your manual and look at the settings. It's very possible some settings were inadvertently changed somewhere along the line. Disabling search mode might be a good thing to try.

When to set up Search mode

The search mode feature is only
valuable if the inverter can spend a fair amount of time “sleeping”
each day. Therefore, if search mode is to be used it must be adjusted
properly. The initial adjustment should be made so that the inverter
comes on only when needed.
Certain types of loads can cause search mode to work unexpectedly.
These types of loads are described in “Inverter Applications” on
page 72. If these kinds of loads are in the system, follow the
suggestions given to eliminate the problem.
If the problem loads cannot be eliminated, there are two workaround solutions:
1. Disable search mode from the main Freedom SW Setup menu,
causing the inverter to always remain at full output voltage.
2. Use a search-friendly companion load whose only purpose is to
be switched on to wake up the inverter to power the load that is
unable to bring the inverter out of search mode.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #21

WOW, hohenwald48. I sure appreciate your response. IRV2 has turned out to be a superb place to get help.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #22

I want to post a final response because I actually have one. On Monday I called intellitec for our EMS. I have tried in the past to call for electrical assistance from different sources only to be told I need a license first to get help so I really dreaded the call.
A man named Chris answered & I was so surprised to hear him tell me that if I got a multimeter, took the covers off, plugged into a solid 50 amp plug outside & tested the main breaker, he would walk me thru a diagnosis on the phone. That's what I did.
When we got finished, I had real choices to fix the problem. It had to be either the circuit board beside the circuit breakers or the system would correct itself with a hard reset. ???
Ok, problem #1: I never knew that there was a 5 amp car type fuse tied to the EMS system. It never dawned on me to look beyond the breakers & relays.
#2: To do a HARD reset you have to unplug from the post, pull the 5 amp fuse, & wait 10 minutes.
#3: put fuse in,,turn on ALL breakers, plug coach in, and watch EMS monitor. That fixed the EMS BUT NOT THE INVERTER MONITOR.
#4: For inverter we had to pull inverter monitor plug & wait again another few minutes and so far, 3 campgrounds and 3 days later, all's well.

Lucky us. I believe any repair shop would have been hundreds. Thank you for all your responses.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:07 PM   #23

Quote:
I want to post a final response because I actually have one. On Monday I called intellitec for our EMS. I have tried in the past to call for electrical assistance from different sources only to be told I need a license first to get help so I really dreaded the call.
A man named Chris answered & I was so surprised to hear him tell me that if I got a multimeter, took the covers off, plugged into a solid 50 amp plug outside & tested the main breaker, he would walk me thru a diagnosis on the phone. That's what I did.
When we got finished, I had real choices to fix the problem. It had to be either the circuit board beside the circuit breakers or the system would correct itself with a hard reset. ???
Ok, problem #1: I never knew that there was a 5 amp car type fuse tied to the EMS system. It never dawned on me to look beyond the breakers & relays.
#2: To do a HARD reset you have to unplug from the post, pull the 5 amp fuse, & wait 10 minutes.
#3: put fuse in,,turn on ALL breakers, plug coach in, and watch EMS monitor. That fixed the EMS BUT NOT THE INVERTER MONITOR.
#4: For inverter we had to pull inverter monitor plug & wait again another few minutes and so far, 3 campgrounds and 3 days later, all's well.

Lucky us. I believe any repair shop would have been hundreds. Thank you for all your responses.
I would like to see , your info posted here , as a sticky , for" EMS hard re-set" in the systems and appliances portion of the forums.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #24

I'm very sorry that I don't know what your asking me to do but if you can put my response somewhere it could help others, I'm all for it. I'm sure others have gone for repairs after the Intellitec monitor started doing the Do-si-do and wouldn't power up & it cost hundreds. I never heard of a power reset in any RV.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #25

Quote:

JD, thanks for the update and telling us about the solution that worked for you. Ditto for letting us know that Intelletec customer service works!

I hope there are many safe and fun miles ahead for you.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:55 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This 50a/30a dog bone connects both legs/(hots) to one on the RV side, just like the 30a, so w/ the 30a dog bone, you energize everything, but limited to 3,600-watts instead of 12,000 watts.

Tags
electric, scr