Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #1

Sea Foam

A suggestion was made to use Sea Foam when storing our 01 DSDP, 330 Cummins (for approximately 3 months).

Thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

Ron
Billythedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
How To Use Sea Foam: Diesel Engines - Sea Foam Sales Company

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #3

The Cummins website used to state for over 30 day storage; remove the 12V power wire from the fuel solenoid, then crank the engine until oil pressure registers; then replace the solenoid wire and start the engine. This is to prevent a "dry-start" and possibly damaging internal bearings. That was in the 90's, I think todays ECM's have a built-in feature making that procedure automatic.
You should contact a Cummins service center and verify.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Thanks Richard, never saw that until now.
I have used one can per tank before (125G tank), that was insignificant though. The website says to use 1 oz per Gallon. That's a lot of money at $8 per can.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #5

I have used Sea Foam for the past four years or so, at a ratio of one can for each twenty-five gallons. To date, I can say I never really get any appreciable water from the separator because the Sea Foam absorbs whatever small amount I might get from tank condisation I also believe the lubricity it adds to the diesel fuel helps the Heui pump and its injectors (C7 engine).
Old 10-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #6

If Sea Foam absorbs water and makes it go through the water separator I'll never put in my diesel engine again. Cummins says water will ruin the injectors, that's the reason for the water separator to begin with.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If Sea Foam absorbs water and makes it go through the water separator I'll never put in my diesel engine again. Cummins says water will ruin the injectors, that's the reason for the water separator to begin with.
Henny-Penny, the sky is NOT falling.

If there was no Sea Foam involved, I'd agree with you. However, the problem with water is surface tension, it sticks together in blobs too big to pass the injectors. When it builds up to a sufficient amount it hydro-locks the injectors to the point where it hydraulics (liquid is not compressible) the injector pump and it hand grenades.

Sea Foam (or Power Service or a long list of other similar products) breaks it down and absorbs it into a format small enough it can pass harmlessly through the injectors.

No different than Methyl Hydrate did for gas engines years ago. No frozen carbs, the gasoline anti-freeze let the water pass harmlessly through the engine.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Murf2u;1780785]Henny-Penny, the sky is NOT falling.

If there was no Sea Foam involved, I'd agree with you. However, the problem with water is surface tension, it sticks together in blobs too big to pass the injectors. When it builds up to a sufficient amount it hydro-locks the injectors to the point where it hydraulics (liquid is not compressible) the injector pump and it hand grenades.

QUOTE]

This is going to need better clarification. Liquids do not compress like air however fuel does not compress either. So what is the difference between the high pressure fuel or high pressure water that passes through? So how could an injector that is designed for 30K PSI of fuel pressure going to hydrolock with water and not fuel at the exact same PSI?
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #9

James, good question. The answer is, as I mentioned but didn't explain well, surface tension.

Diesel fuel will pass through a far smaller orifice than will water. Water tends to cling together in larger drops than diesel and other petroleum products.

That is also why moisture collects together into drops that freeze in the fuel systems of aircraft engines instead of passing through the engine.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
James, good question. The answer is, as I mentioned but didn't explain well, surface tension.

Diesel fuel will pass through a far smaller orifice than will water. Water tends to cling together in larger drops than diesel and other petroleum products.

That is also why moisture collects together into drops that freeze in the fuel systems of aircraft engines instead of passing through the engine.
As posted above, in a diesel, no water should pass through a high pressure fuel pump or injector. This is why the fuel systems have water separators. Some minor (very small) may pass by with no ill effects but anytime you allow water to go through the fuel system there is a lack of lubrication. A HUEI system is not as affected by water as high pressure fuel systems but water can cause the injectors to be damaged from the lack of proper lubrication. The high pressure fuel pumps are even more sensitive to this because it uses the fuel as lubrication. Any water in this pump could cause minor damage. These pumps generate 30000 psi so there are very high loads on the cam lobe and lifter(s) in the pump. Anything that says it will collect the water and allow it to pass through a high pressure fuel system, I would clearly stay away from. The built in safe guards like the fuel filters and separators should be well maintained and cleaned according to the manufactures recommendations. There are some additives like Cetane boosters and anti gelling additives that pretty much all manufactures recommend can be used. Especially with todays highly EPA governed fuels. However I have yet to see (and will eat my words if it is posted) to use a additive (like seafoam) to allow water to pass through a high pressure fuel system.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #11

Im playing with the internet and found this review Fuel Additive Test - Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel - Diesel Power Magazine
The part I found interesting is that one of the additives improves the ability to separate water from the fuel. Not a lot of info on this and I will look more into it but definitely indication of absorbing the water to pass through the fuel system.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #12

It's the needle in a haystack thing.

If water is absorbed, and passed through the injection system, as it's picked up (either by filling with contaminated fuel or condensation) it never accumulates to the point where there's enough to be an issue.

Sort of like "clean gasoline" with Techron (or other additives) preventing carbon or sludge build-ups in gasoline engines.

Gas-line antifreeze does the same thing, breaks water up and spreads it out so there isn't enough to freeze.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
murf2u, you are right, I was totally wrong about an emulsifying (NO ALCOHOL!) additive. I've spent several hours researching this topic. Still- I learn every day. The screen name Racor in this link is a GM employee that works with the Duramax diesel engine (background info)Reason for Water in Diesel? [Archive] - TheDieselPage.com Forums
If one ever gets excessive water in the fuel tank, this product may also be useful: Absorb & Remove Water in Diesel or Gas Tank | WaterWick Fuel Tank Socks | Absorbents | Supply Line Direct
Old 11-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #14

Diesel Additives

Thanks to all for the extensive feedback and discussion on fuel additives and moisture in the fuel. As I am storing my MH for 3 months in Arkansas, I filled the tank and added Howes Diesel Treatment (as recommended by the mechanic who is assisting me). He will de-winterize and perform a general check prior to getting on the road again in early February for our 8 week adventure.

Thanks again for all the valuable comments .... stay safe and enjoy your travels!
Billythedog is offline   Reply With Quote