Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #15

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have used seafoam for several years in our MH when I know it well be sitting for a few months. It can't hurt. I also use it with non ethanol gas in all my small engines, mower, trimmer blower. My Stihl chainsaw only has to run every 2 to 3 years and sits with fuel in it all that time. It starts in 3 pulls every time. I am a firm believer.
mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 01:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehouse 2 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for all the input. I ended up using the Seafoam (4 cans) for this winter. I am looking for the Star*Tron by Sea Brite for next years boating season. I checked with two Walmarts in our area (near Lake Erie)and neither one had any in stock. I have a finicky 50hp Merc on our pontoon that I want to try it in. It also appears to be less expensive than Seafoam. Thanks again.

Safe Travels
Menards has it but you probably will find it cheaper on Amazon.
I dont recall ever seeing it on my local wallyworld shelves.
I also prefer marvels mystery oil, it's cheaper and works as well or better than seafoam.
But it is also something I grew up with. So there is some prejudice there heh.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:58 PM   #17

I think the answer is "Yes".

What you will find is that most people recommend what they use and there is no real testing.

I have been using Seafoam for many years. I had a generator that would not start in an RV I picked up. I was on the road an a local servicing dealer was able to clean up the carb but said it likely needed a new one, but did not have it on hand. He recommend Seafoam thinking it might help clean things up more.

It worked so well I used it in all of my stuff and has worked very well. Again, no actual testing......
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:18 PM   #18

use star tron in my boat (2008 yamaha sx230 jet boat) and my ford gas motorhome. just got a bottle that will treat 512 gals of gas for 20 bucks on amazon.
32 oz bottle
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
Menards has it but you probably will find it cheaper on Amazon.

I dont recall ever seeing it on my local wallyworld shelves.

I also prefer marvels mystery oil, it's cheaper and works as well or better than seafoam.

But it is also something I grew up with. So there is some prejudice there heh.
I would never think of MMO as a fuel stabilizer but I guess they do claim that as a benefit. Here's an excerpt from an online comparison...
https://carwrenching.com/marvel-myst...l-vs-sea-foam/

"Marvel Mystery Oil vs. Sea Foam: As Fuel Stabilizers

You wonít need to think about fuel stabilization if you drive your car daily. Thereís not a chance that the fuel in your daily commuter is going to go bad. The only time you need a fuel stabilizer is when you plan to store your vehicle or you donít drive it regularly.
Leaving fuel to sit in the tank over time causes many problems to the engine. But, you can add a fuel stabilizer to ensure it doesnít lead to trouble. As a fuel stabilizer, you will need one ounce of Sea Foam for each gallon of fuel in the tank. However, you only need four ounces of MMO for every ten gallons of fuel.
Both of these additives can work as a fuel stabilizer, but Sea Foam clearly does a better job. It provides superior results when it is put into fresh fuel, providing stabilization for a maximum of two years."

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
Sta-bil has always worked in my vehicles and I never have carb problems

My V65 Magna has never had the carbs apart since 1983 thanks to Stabil. Other V65 owners have rebuilt their carbs many times. My snow sleds are the same way. I wouldn't even dare to try anything else. Good luck with the other stuff though.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:09 PM   #21

I am in the Sta-Bil camp. 12+ years of use in every gallon of fuel that I buy that is destined for dirt bikes, ATV's, lawn equipment, ect and no equipment issues. And believe me, I've got plenty of humidity in Florida for the ethanal to absorb. Nothing against SeaFoam except cost, I can treat 320 gal of fuel with 32 Oz of Sta-Bil 360 Marine for about $20.

My MH gets 6 oz for its 55 gal tank at every fill up before parking when 30 days or more to my next trip is likely. That way when I exercise the onboard generator, it's carb is filled with treated fuel. No need for shutoff valves or worry about running it dry.

Good Luck, you results may vary.
myfirstford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I would never think of MMO as a fuel stabilizer but I guess they do claim that as a benefit. Here's an excerpt from an online comparison...
https://carwrenching.com/marvel-myst...l-vs-sea-foam/

"Marvel Mystery Oil vs. Sea Foam: As Fuel Stabilizers

You won’t need to think about fuel stabilization if you drive your car daily. There’s not a chance that the fuel in your daily commuter is going to go bad. The only time you need a fuel stabilizer is when you plan to store your vehicle or you don’t drive it regularly.
Leaving fuel to sit in the tank over time causes many problems to the engine. But, you can add a fuel stabilizer to ensure it doesn’t lead to trouble. As a fuel stabilizer, you will need one ounce of Sea Foam for each gallon of fuel in the tank. However, you only need four ounces of MMO for every ten gallons of fuel.
Both of these additives can work as a fuel stabilizer, but Sea Foam clearly does a better job. It provides superior results when it is put into fresh fuel, providing stabilization for a maximum of two years."

I dont use it as a stabilizer, I never claimed I did.
I stated I use star tron and use MMO instead of seafoam.
I only use seafoam when it's free and I use it the same way as I use MMO. Upper engine lube/cleaner
I used stabil for years also with no problems.
I believe star tron is superior from my research and is why I switched.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
I dont use it as a stabilizer, I never claimed I did.
I stated I use star tron and use MMO instead of seafoam.
I only use seafoam when it's free and I use it the same way as I use MMO. Upper engine lube/cleaner
I used stabil for years also with no problems.
I believe star tron is superior from my research and is why I switched.
Sorry for the wrong interpretation. I think we are in complete agreement. I bought a case of SeaFoam from Zoro as I have used it in everything and had a truck mechanic friend recently recommend it for diesels as well.

Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:44 PM   #24

Quote:
I've always used Sta-Bil in a full tank of Fuel when putting the mh up for the winter. I've seen more and more good things about using Seafoam for performance issues but nothing from users for using it for fuel stabilization though the can says it can be used for that.
Comments please.Thanks
We have always used SeaFoam in our stored fuel, generators, gasoline powered tools, and all of our vehicles with excellent results.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:54 PM   #25

I switched to Star Tron years ago, at the recommendation of a Mercury Marine engineer. I have used it in stabilizing ethanol gas for years in all of my gasoline applications. I have never had a problem with carburetors or fuel injectors since then.
Roger Bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:07 PM   #26

Both are good for fuel stabilization, but Sta-Bil will effect the Octane level. I used stabil for years but have been using Sea-Foam for over 15 years with better results from its cleaning ability and stabilization. Just my experience.
Bootlegger61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks for all the input. I ended up using the Seafoam (4 cans) for this winter. I am looking for the Star*Tron by Sea Brite for next years boating season. I checked with two Walmarts in our area (near Lake Erie)and neither one had any in stock. I have a finicky 50hp Merc on our pontoon that I want to try it in. It also appears to be less expensive than Seafoam. Thanks again.

Safe Travels
I put Seafoam in my boat and I have had it sit two years and the fuel was fine. I do not fill the boat up and just add fuel when ready to use the next year or two. Seafoam is $7.49 on Amazon which is cheaper than any auto parts store I have seen. Good Luck..
Mitziebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:08 PM   #28

I would highly recommend a product called Pri-g. it was originally developed to keep fuel fresh on commercial sites. One ounce treats 16 gallons of fuel. Pri-g for gasoline and Pri-d for diesel. Check it out...
Dargeljohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter