Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #1

Seafoam or Sta-Bil for winter storage??

I've always used Sta-Bil in a full tank of Fuel when putting the mh up for the winter. I've seen more and more good things about using Seafoam for performance issues but nothing from users for using it for fuel stabilization though the can says it can be used for that.
Comments please.Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 03:15 PM   #2

Sta-bil and use pure gas (no ethanol) use this to find https://www.pure-gas.org/
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:39 PM   #3

Sea Foam is good stuff but it is different from Sta-bil. Use Sta-bil for storage and if you can find non ethonol gas.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:22 PM   #4

I use the blue marine Stabil, it is supposed to have additives “that combat the effects of ethanol”, and combat fuel system corrosion.
I also use Seafoam in my small engines to fog them before putting them away.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #5

Stabil but run gen dry.. add fuel shut off valve.. for lawnmower.. or switch for fuel pump.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-19-2021, 08:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
Sea Foam is good stuff but it is different from Sta-bil. Use Sta-bil for storage and if you can find non ethonol gas.
Seafoam cans state it also approved for storage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:08 PM   #7

I've been using Sea Foam for several years. Right before winter, I add 4 bottles—1 bottle per 20gal. of gas. Then fill up the gas tank, drive to storage so it gets mixed well. Then when parked, start the generator and let it run for about 45 minutes under at least 1/2 load. Now the entire fuel systems in both the MH & genny are set for winter.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:22 AM   #8

Sta-bil has always worked in my vehicles and I never have carb problems
Old 10-22-2021, 06:10 AM   #9

Startron! Don't take anonymous online ppls word for it, research.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:58 PM   #10

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input. I ended up using the Seafoam (4 cans) for this winter. I am looking for the Star*Tron by Sea Brite for next years boating season. I checked with two Walmarts in our area (near Lake Erie)and neither one had any in stock. I have a finicky 50hp Merc on our pontoon that I want to try it in. It also appears to be less expensive than Seafoam. Thanks again.

Safe Travels
Old 10-23-2021, 06:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehouse 2 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for all the input. I ended up using the Seafoam (4 cans) for this winter. I am looking for the Star*Tron by Sea Brite for next years boating season. I checked with two Walmarts in our area (near Lake Erie)and neither one had any in stock. I have a finicky 50hp Merc on our pontoon that I want to try it in. It also appears to be less expensive than Seafoam. Thanks again.

Safe Travels
Apparently StarTRon is sold at boating stores and on Amazon.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehouse 2 View Post
Hi all,

Safe Travels
Star Tron made/sold by STAR BRITE is used extensively in marine applications so most boating stores / marinas will have it. Also available at some auto parts stores and some big box hdwre stores. Lowes will ship to store for pickup if they don't carry it.
I have seen some recommendations to use both SeaFoam along with StarTron... SF to clean fuel system ST to stabilize the fuel.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:24 AM   #13

Seafoam or sta-bil

Never used them for winter storage. Coach is stored from late oct to early april with fuel tank totally full. If you are concerned, find a station that has non-ethanol 91 octane fuel. Stays good longer than regular grade....
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:32 AM   #14

I store with a full tank (no additives), and I drain the Onan generator carburetor at the carb drain valve.

Tags
storage, winter