Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #1

Searching for 12 Volts.

A while back, I upgraded my Magnatec converter in my 1993 Rexhall Airex, 31 foot class "C". After doing so, I replaced the coach battery due to a dead cell. The charger worked great and I was a happy camper. The other day, I replaced the coach battery as well as some routine service done (Oil change, Trans fluid and filter replacement). When I got home, I found that the coach battery had discharged and remained so even while plugged in to shore power. I got out my multi meter and found charging voltage at the converter but no charging voltage at the battery. The battery cable from the converter/charger to the battery is enclosed inside of a loom with lots more wires. It is impossible to trace. I could find no reason for lack of voltage and assumed that the cable had failed. I was ready to run a new cable from the converter/charger to the coach battery.

I decided to probe around under the hood with the multi meter and started trying to make some sense of what was there. At one point, I found a buried block that looked like a two terminal junction block. I had current on one side but nothing on the other. Upon very close examination, I found a tab approximately 1/4 inch wide sticking out about 1/4 inch from one end but buried under the wires. Wondering what it was, I stuck my finger against it and ir moved back into the body of the block. HMMMMMMM.

Lo and behold, it was a circuit breaker which controlled the charging circuit. Evidently, they run 12 volts from the charger forward about 20 feet to the engine compartment and then after this breaker run another 20 feet back to the coach battery. There is also a solenoid that does not appear to be working (maybe an auxiliary start circuit???)(or maybe a ?????). At least the charging circuit is now working for the coach battery.

Who would have thought that a circuit breaker would have been that far away from the charger and coach battery. Persistence paid off with the multi meter. I refused to give up.

Next, I will see if I can figure out what the solenoid controls. One side has a heavy (maybe 8 gauge) wire on one side, while the other post has at least 10 smaller (12 to 16 gauge) wires attached. Any thoughts what this would control???

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you had one of these your converter would charge your coach battery once your house batteries are at full charge.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwalter View Post
A while back, I upgraded my Magnatec

Who would have thought that a circuit breaker would have been that far away from the charger and coach battery.

Bob
Well Bob.

In my rig the converter (Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard) is in the last compartment on the driver's side on the rear wall, As far from the circuit breaker (Which is up front on the firewall, this is a front engine gasser) as you can get.. The batteries are only about 10 feet back (about 20 of wire though) under the entry steps.

So, to answer your question: I would have

Now, as to replacing the original charger/converter: GOOD IDEA, bet you are glad you did it. Your batteries will thank you by paying for it.. How do they pay for it.. They last longer.