RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #1

Second roadside assistance plan?

I am getting ready to leave on my first big 3,500+ mile trip to Yellowstone, etc. since buying my 16 year old motorhome last year (I have put 2,500 or so miles on it total, mostly on 200-300 mile trips).

I currently have roadside assistance through my insurance (State Farm) which covers the usual lock out, towing, tire changing, ...

My question is should I get a second plan through FMCA, Coachnet, Good Sam's? (I am an FMCA and Good Sams member already)

p.s. I am not looking for yet another which of these is better, just asking if I should get one of these in addition to my State Farm roadside assistance, and also if any one of the others has a specific advantage for being a second plan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I am getting ready to leave on my first big 3,500+ mile trip to Yellowstone, etc. since buying my 16 year old motorhome last year (I have put 2,500 or so miles on it total, mostly on 200-300 mile trips).

I currently have roadside assistance through my insurance (State Farm) which covers the usual lock out, towing, tire changing, ...

My question is should I get a second plan through FMCA, Coachnet, Good Sam's? (I am an FMCA and Good Sams member already)

p.s. I am not looking for yet another which of these is better, just asking if I should get one of these in addition to my State Farm roadside assistance, and also if any one of the others has a specific advantage for being a second plan
Find out how much tow mileage is included in your plan. This is big country in the West and tow mileage could be lengthy to a qualified repair facility.

If you can get a trip interruption plan or adder that covers lodging and vehicle rental while your rig is being repaired, consider it. This time of the year, there is a real shortage of repair techs and you may have to start at the back of the queue and wait weeks for repairs.

My AAA premier plan covers up to 72 hours or $1500 (whichever comes first) for breakdowns that are 100 miles from home. I would consider that inadequate, unless you are lucky enough to have a quick or easy repair.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #3

the biggest advantage to the GS or Coachnet ERS as compared to coverage from an insurance company, AAA, insurance, etc. is GS/Coachnet will find a service provider for you, dispatch them, make sure they arrive/find you and then follow up. with AAA, State Farm and the like you usually have to find a service provider, pay them out of pocket and then seek reimbursement. with GS/Coachnet you don't pay anything out of pocket except for replacement parts, tires, additional repairs, gas, etc. both GS/Coachnet now provide service assistance over the phone in order to assist the owner to diagnose and/or make repairs. we've had GS ERS for 31-yrs now and are satisfied with them, others will tell the same tale about Coachnet. to me it's a ford vs chevy, less filling vs tastes great and a mary ann vs ginger argument.

bottom line...if you're comfortable finding your own service at 3am on a sunday morning then save your $. otherwise do some reading online in the various forums and select an ERS.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #4

We have AAA and Good Sam. Partly because we had AAA long before we had a MH and partly because of things we have read about using either one. Both have their pluses and both their problems. Yes we went top tier on AAA to get the most tow distance and MH coverage.

A key issue for us is that AAA does not come into campgrounds, Good Sam does. At least that is the theory. Coverage also varies around the country for both so I am on the shoulder of the road it's who can get somebody here soon. A little searching here will get you a long list of comparisons and complaints. Just use the search box at the top of the page.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:46 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
We have AAA and Good Sam. Partly because we had AAA long before we had a MH and partly because of things we have read about using either one. Both have their pluses and both their problems. Yes we went top tier on AAA to get the most tow distance and MH coverage.

A key issue for us is that AAA does not come into campgrounds, Good Sam does. At least that is the theory. Coverage also varies around the country for both so I am on the shoulder of the road it's who can get somebody here soon. A little searching here will get you a long list of comparisons and complaints. Just use the search box at the top of the page.
Thank you. I did not know AAA would not come to campgrounds. I upgraded my AAA membership when I purchased my MH. Unfortunately I just learned AAA will not travel on a dirt road. I was a mile up an improved county road in Montana, I turned a corner and placed my right rear tires in a ditch. AAA would not help as I was on a dirt road. I had to get a commercial service out to help me. I have filed a claim with AAA, but if they can not come to a dirt road I will have to find another service.

thanks.
signet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #6

I have wondered the same thing. But we went ahead and did a 4,500 mile trip in our 23 year old MH to Yellowstone as well as Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper thrown in for good measure. We didn't acquire additional coverage beyond my Safeco MH coverage. We had a ball!
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #7

I have had AAA for years and we just about completed a 10,000 mile Maryland to Alaska trip, we will reenter the US at Sweetgrass today.

I added GS roadside insurance for under $100.00 for the year to fill some of the gaps that AAA has.

Fortunately we did not need either, just some piece of mind.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Dropped AAA a few years ago as AAA Northeast does not have any options to tow RV'S of any kind. Been with Good Sam and have been very happy with both the 4 or 5 MH tows & 3 personal auto tows we neeed.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgin View Post
Dropped AAA a few years ago as AAA Northeast does not have any options to tow RV'S of any kind. Been with Good Sam and have been very happy with both the 4 or 5 MH tows & 3 personal auto tows we neeed.
I'm not saying you are wrong but you might want to check. It's interesting that NY has coverage but MA does not.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:03 AM   #10

We have good sam and just the other day had our coach towed. This is our second tow of our coach in two years we also had our car towed in that same time frame. I will spare alot of the details unless asked and I mean no disrespect to Americans with my complaint.

I am Canadian and each time I call goodsam its like talking with someone from overseas. We broke down in Niagara falls Ontario to which the operator pronounced Nigeria falls. I had to repeat my location several times and still they dispatched a tow from the wrong area. There was a total mixup when dw had her car towed due to lack of attention of the operator. If we were with caa we would be speaking with someone who knows qew 401 i90 ect. Perhaps if we broke down in the operator s home town communication would be better.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
We have good sam and just the other day had our coach towed. This is our second tow of our coach in two years we also had our car towed in that same time frame. I will spare alot of the details unless asked and I mean no disrespect to Americans with my complaint.

I am Canadian and each time I call goodsam its like talking with someone from overseas. We broke down in Niagara falls Ontario to which the operator pronounced Nigeria falls. I had to repeat my location several times and still they dispatched a tow from the wrong area. There was a total mixup when dw had her car towed due to lack of attention of the operator. If we were with caa we would be speaking with someone who knows qew 401 i90 ect. Perhaps if we broke down in the operator s home town communication would be better.
It is a universal problem with customer service. Most calls to service centers end up overseas... and that is with a lot of businesses. My wife, who is usually patient with these customer service reps, often gets very frustrated. I have heard her yell out on the phone; "Connect me with someone who can speak English!". Usually it is a phone call to Amazon customer service when this happens.