Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
That's why I changed my 96 Itasca w/ 30 amp. I didn't want another cord to plug in and as others have said some campgrounds don't like you to have 2 cords plugged in.
I added a 50 amp automatic transfer switch and a pair of breakers along with a 50 amp cord. The output from the ATS has one leg going through a 30 amp breaker and is supplying the factory RV circuit breakers (30 amp main breaker) and the other ATS output leg is going through a 20 amp breaker and them goes directly to my rear AC which I isolated form the factory wiring.
I still have my factory 30 amp cord inside the side door as it was they type that you had to plug the cord back into a outlet that the generator supplies. If I ever get into a place that doesn't have 50 amp service, I can still hook up using my original 30 amp cord. I just won't have any rear air.
That is great information, and something I want to do.Do you have a picture of how you did this? Or a diagram. Thank you. Trashman1995
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #16

50A WIRING Model.pdf
Here is a pdf diagram on how I did it plus I''try and add some pictures.
Here's a the weatherproof outlet cover installed in the generator compartment

I drilled a hole between the generator compartment and the rear storage area
and ran the 6/3-8/1 wire

Here is my 50a Automatic Transfer Switch along side my 70a double breaker box

Inside the 70a box showing the 30a and 20a breakers.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
I was also thinking I could make a T connection on the rear AC so I have the ability to disconnect it from the chassis system and plug it in directly to the extra 50amp system. Has anyone done this?
Be careful with T connections in a circuit like that, it would be pretty easy to have the new plug back-fed by that T connection, in which case the prongs of the second male plug could be inadvertently made 'hot'.

That could make for a very bad day for someone.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Be careful with T connections in a circuit like that, it would be pretty easy to have the new plug back-fed by that T connection, in which case the prongs of the second male plug could be inadvertently made 'hot'.

Your pdf diagram is not showing up on the site. Can you send it to me if you still have it available? Thank you.
d_elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_elegance View Post
Your pdf diagram is not showing up on the site. Can you send it to me if you still have it available? Thank you.
Wow, a 4 year old thread! At the top of jcgribks post #16 is an underlined link to the PDF, 50A WIRING Model.pdf. A click on that underlined link should download a PDF to your computer. It worked for me just now.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Many parks have rules against 2 power cords coming out of their power pedestal.
I've never seen that restriction. In addition to my normal 50 amp cord, I frequently plug in a separate 20 amp cord to power my electric grill.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I've never seen that restriction. In addition to my normal 50 amp cord, I frequently plug in a separate 20 amp cord to power my electric grill.
I'd think you've been lucky, it's generally NOT allowed. Since it's only for your electric grill, do you leave it plugged in the entire stay at the campsite or only when cooking?

Bob & Donna
Old 03-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd think you've been lucky, it's generally NOT allowed. Since it's only for your electric grill, do you leave it plugged in the entire stay at the campsite or only when cooking?
I connect our smoker to the unused 30 amp plugs all of the time. Nothing has ever been said about it but I do not leave it plugged in.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
In campgrounds where there is a different charge for 30 or 50 amp service, only paying for 30 amps and hooking to two outlets will usually be caught.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Generally, I don't leave it plugged in. But that's not always the case. We've been in CG's in 47 of the 48 lower states over that past few years and have never had anyone comment.. not a big deal, just saying how it is for us.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Wow, a 4 year old thread! At the top of jcgribks post #16 is an underlined link to the PDF, 50A WIRING Model.pdf. A click on that underlined link should download a PDF to your computer. It worked for me just now.
Wow, a 4 year old thread? I beleave the question was for the person that posted the pdf not you so no need to comment.
d_elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Wow, a 4 year old thread? I beleave the question was for the person that posted the pdf not you so no need to comment.
Just surprised it wasn't closed for additional posts. I verified the link to the PDF was still good, did you get it to download? I don't mind commenting, especially if it helps someone.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Ummmm, no, actually it wasn't.

You asked me, not the person who posted the (still working) link to the PDF.

Tags
power