Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Security camera on entry door

Hi -
Was curious to know if anyone else has a wireless video camera on their entry door to see who is knocking for better security at night. I was thinking a weatherproofed baby monitor for something simple and cheap.

Ben
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Hi - Was curious to know if anyone else has a wireless video camera on their entry door to see who is knocking for better security at night. I was thinking a weatherproofed baby monitor for something simple and cheap. Ben
When this ships in January, this should be a good bet. It can run off its rechargeable battery making
installation a breeze. It's weatherproof as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2196689023.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	52508  
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That does look interesting. It would be nice if it had a motion sensor. It only turns the camera on if someone pushes the button. I thought the baby monitor solution was good because it was self contained, didn't require a WiFi network to be up and the camera was always on. Seems like a lot of folks were asking about if there is a motion sensor on the DoorBot. Maybe they will add it later.

Here is another option I was looking at: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...FeFlOgodpHAAJg
Old 12-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Thgis sure looks like a great item and I found it on Amazon for 199.00 at this time, it has been lower. see link

http://www.pricemachine.com/Swift-Hi...us/prices-html
Old 12-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
Thgis sure looks like a great item and I found it on Amazon for 199.00 at this time, it has been lower. see link http://www.pricemachine.com/Swift-Hi...us/prices-html
How is the camera powered ? Most (even baby monitors) require hard wired power, otherwise they will only
work for a few hours is on continuously. The "doorbot" goes to sleep conserving battery power
until someone pushes the button.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
It has a rechargeable battery..don't know if it turns off when not in use
here is the site, https://www.swifthitch.com/how-it-works.html
Old 12-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
How is the camera powered ? Most (even baby monitors) require hard wired power, otherwise they will only
work for a few hours is on continuously. The "doorbot" goes to sleep conserving battery power
until someone pushes the button.
I took a look at the door bot, it is for smartphone and I only have a dumb phone...

For the same $$ I can use the other one for more things (my eyes refuse to see around corners!! it also has it's own monitor.
Guess you have to search for the best price but it would be a good outfit for me. Not today however!

don't things with recharge batteries have a turn off switch. or close down when turned off??
Old 12-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Nope! I just pull the side curtain to see who is knocking! I NEVER open the door to anyone I don't know!

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Hi -
Was curious to know if anyone else has a wireless video camera on their entry door to see who is knocking for better security at night. I was thinking a weatherproofed baby monitor for something simple and cheap.

Ben
Kelm130
I see who is knocking at my entry door the "old fashion way".... I simply look out a window!
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah I may be over thininking it I thought it would be good to have after we have gone to bed and the knock in the night comes. I'd rather not pull back a curtain to see the boggey man.

I was looking at the Swift Hitch some more and they have a camera SH02 that will go 10 hours on a charge. It has an on/off swithch on the back. The user manual has some better pictures of it.

I was also thinking of just a simple wireless motion detector that turns on a light or maybe a radio when someone is around the door.

There are a lot of good options but most require a WiFi set up. I'm more of a keep it simple person. This comes after years of doing IT support I've learned that networks local or wide area are not 100% reliable but then again what is these days.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Yeah I may be over thininking it I thought it would be good to have after we have gone to bed and the knock in the night comes. I'd rather not pull back a curtain to see the boggey man. I was looking at the Swift Hitch some more and they have a camera SH02 that will go 10 hours on a charge. It has an on/off swithch on the back. The user manual has some better pictures of it. I was also thinking of just a simple wireless motion detector that turns on a light or maybe a radio when someone is around the door. There are a lot of good options but most require a WiFi set up. I'm more of a keep it simple person. This comes after years of doing IT support I've learned that networks local or wide area are not 100% reliable but then again what is these days.
If you are seeing a boogey man, you may be in the wrong place. I have had maybe 5 knocks on my door or tent flap in over 50 years of camping. And they were all in daylight.

However, I do understand the drive to have a gadget simply because. :-)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dave - I agree and think sometimes you can worry too much and with all the alarm gizmos we buy end up with a false sense of security anyway.

We plan to work camp when we retire and have already agreed we'll stay at larger family type campgrounds and not out in the boon docks. That’s just us.

Maybe a couple of those motion sensing porch lights will do the trick.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Found this from a search.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I bought this iVISION Wireless Video Doorbell because of an unnerving camping incident we had a few years ago. Someone started knocking on our RV door at about 11pm when we were in bed. Turned out it was a park ranger, but the only way we could check to see who was knocking was to get out of bed and go to the door. The iVISION wireless video camera fixes this because the remote control allows us to turn on the outside camera w/o the person at the door knowing we're watching. It's a handy bump-in-the-night device that was easy to install.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Hi -

Ben
Nope. I figure there is enough stuff on here to break without adding any more.

Tags
camera, door