Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2020, 09:03 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Sell me on a Good Sam membership

I bought a 1 year membership just to take it for a test drive. I know I can save a few cents per gallon and I've read the threads discussing it. But, besides saving the nominal 10% here and there buying stuff at Camping World & Gander, is there anything else?

Specifically, I want to do a couple things to the motorhome. The list of things might be adding a solar panel, mounting my spare tire underneath the chassis, wiring a coach stereo, etc. Just a list of stuff... and I'd like to get an estimate so I know what I'm paying for. Since I have this membership, does anyone know if there's any discount on a per-hour labor charge?

BTW, I tried live-chatting with an agent and really thought I was communicating with a chat-bot except for a random response here and there that made me think otherwise.. but man, what vague answers they give!
TexasJeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 09:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I think you would do better going to an independent RV repair shop for the type work you are describing. Camping World (most locations) is known for poor quality workmanship on repairs and installations.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
22 years ago (in my mid-30's) I bought a lifetime membership for less than $300 I think as I anticipated correctly a long life of RV travel. Back then you received a great magazine with all kinds of travel ideas, ways to fix your RV, and very pertinent ads. Then they sold to CW.

Now you get a magazine which is more of a catalog.

I still enjoy getting 8 cents off cash diesel at Pilot and FJ. Their prices may be higher but most of the locations are spacious. When I'm at my NJ house, we have a Pilot a few miles away where I get 6 cents off on cash gas. Also you get 10%off at some campgrounds.

Other than that, not much to sell.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If you buy things at the store the membership pays for itself pretty quickly. Those same items can usually be had for similar pricing when ordered on the internet without a membership fee. We are lucky to have a decent store here that does a good job for us when needed. That is not necessarily true for all locations. 10% off random campgrounds through out the year will also usually pay for the membership. I think it is worth the price for us but if you are not regularly near a physical location or have other CG discounts available it may not be for you..
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #5

we’ve been GS members since 1986 and apart from the odd CG or RV park that is not affiliated with GS but still provides the 10% discount or special temporary discounts or offers by GS we’ve never seen the kind of discounted service the OP is asking about.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
...is there anything else?
Jeff,

We've been Good Sam members since 2003. About 10 years ago, knowing that we would be RV/Camping for a while, I bought a Lifetime membership for about the same cost as 4 individual years.

Between stuff we have bought at CW and the discounts at RV Parks, we're probably ahead.

I see that you already belong to a couple of RV/Camping clubs. GS has a LOT of RV/Camping chapters all over Texas. There might be one near you.

HERE's ours, based in north Dallas. http://www.texasnorthstarsams.org

COVID has knocked 2020 for a loop and pretty well cancelled all of our activities since March.

Since we're all "mature" and high risk, over the past year, we have learned how to stay safe and we plan to restart activities in February, 2021.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
Jeff,
I see that you already belong to a couple of RV/Camping clubs. GS has a LOT of RV/Camping chapters all over Texas. There might be one near you.

HERE's ours, based in north Dallas. http://www.texasnorthstarsams.org/

Tim
Tim, are you aware of a chapter down this way? Jeff
TexasJeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #8

When I bought our used Thor Palazzo last year from CW, they threw in a Good Sam membership. The coach has spent more time in their service center than on the road over the 13 months of ownership, so I've only been able to use the Good Sam discount once at an RV park (just last month). My preference is state and national parks, so I would not plan to renew for another year. The online parts prices seem no different from the Good Sam "savings."
Old 10-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
Tim, are you aware of a chapter down this way? Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Off the top of my head, I am not, BUT you might look HERE (https://texasgoodsam.com/chapters/) especially areas 4 & 7.

HERE is a link to the Texas State Good Sam web site - https://texasgoodsam.com/

I wish that you were closer to us.....

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don't think there's a 10% discount on labor charges!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:27 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally if you travel allot and far from home then I would and do have a Good Sam Membership. They are all across this great USA, so if I have any problem with anything they have installed, they will fix it, hopefully, anywhere. If you get it installed, albeit cheaper close to home at ACB RV shop and you are have way across the country and have issues with it. Guess what, you are on the hook with whoever you trust or find to do repairs at full cost to you. If you had Camping World install it then I will bet there is one closer to you than going back to ACB RV just to get them to look at it and ruin your travels.
That said, it's your penny, spend it how you want to. It's like insurance, I'm betting it will break down and need repairs and the insurance company is beating it won't and if it does they will attempt to not cover it.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #12

The PFJ price and GS discount on gas is OK but the PFJ diesel price and GS discount is a joke!
Many (and more and more) diesel MHs have given up on PFJ and switched to the TSD fuel card that covers all / most other large truck stops and provides a REAL savings.
Apparently GS has negotiated an exclusive discount program with PFJ and is reaping the benefit vs passing it on the members.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell