Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

Unhappy Selling RV through ebay?

Anyone has experience in selling an RV through Ebay Motors? There's a "dealer" that charges $599 for placing an add with them and they guarantee a sale in 3 weeks or less. I'm a senior citizen whose husband just had a stroke and need to selll our RV fast, but I'm weary of all these scammers out there preying on people like me. Then again, maybe they're legit... would appreciate any input.
Twolfson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I am sorry to hear about your husband and wish you the best. What brand, year and size RV do you have and where are you located? I have no experience selling through EBay however, I would be Leary of anyone that guarantees a sale in 3 weeks unless you are willing to take any low ball offer. Try posting an add on this site as well as your local papers. Some dealers will sell used units on consignment.

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/index.php?cat=3
Old 06-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #4

It's a quasi scam, here's how it works. You list the RV with the dealer and pay the $599. It sits on Ebay for 3 weeks and doesn't sell. You contact the dealer repeatedly and maybe get lucky to talk to them and they offer to purchase the unit at 40% of the listing price. You decline their generous offer and they keep your $599 for doing nothing, but they did offer to buy your RV so the contract terms are fulfilled.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #5

In your situation I think your best option is a consignment dealer, if you tell us where you are and the type of RV we may be able to offer specific suggestions
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I purchased my MH on eBay from an out of state broker with no hassles other than the private company I hired to do the inspection missed a lot.(like tire cracks)

You can always do you own eBay listing, as long as you post lots of good photos (real camera, not cell phone).

You can set a minimum reserve, and the buyer has a limited time to get you a deposit via PayPal, and final payment upon pick up. eBay is pretty good about protecting the integrity transactions.

I have a friend who works for a big RV dealership and consignment works like this. They take a 30% cut off the sale price. BTW they set the price not on retail, but wholesale.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #7

How To Sell a Motorhome

Sorry for your difficult situation.

Here is a link to the best post I've seen on How To Sell A Motorhome

This assumes you are interested and in a position to DIY.

The other option is to find a dealer than handles consignment sales and list it with them. I would only do this with a fairly large reputable dealer in your area. I have had numerous inquiries from so called consignment agents that are hungry for listings but I don't believe they are your best option.

One of the most important keys is pricing it right - it takes some research to look at comparable units - your make model & yr maybe +/- 1-2 yrs max and see what the range$ is...you have to figure they will likely not sell for the ask price so it is a challenge to find actual sales price.

I believe Camping World now does consignment sales - if there is one near you you might give that a thought.
Is there anyone relative or friend - that is computer savy that could handle the sale for you and do the work on a commission basis?

With some more info on what you have and where you are maybe we can help more.

Good luck with the sale.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
In your situation I think your best option is a consignment dealer, if you tell us where you are and the type of RV we may be able to offer specific suggestions
Anyone considering selling on consignment needs to talk with their insurance company first, as many policies do not provide coverage in this situation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:49 PM   #9

Selling RV on Ebay?

Thank you for all the great replies. I have placed ads on this site and RV Trader. We have a 2012 Winnebago View, with Mercedes Benz diesel engine. It has 32,000 miles and it's in great condition. I looked in NADA for selling price, and the average seems to be right about what we're hoping to get. I'm having my son help with the computer listings as I'm not well versed... technology has passed me by. I'm not willing to give up 30% to a dealer for selling it on consignment - not just yet. We'll see how it goes.
Twolfson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:01 AM   #10

The Views are very popular models, and if you have yours priced right I suspect it will sell quickly.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:52 AM   #11

No clue where you're at or what you have, but PPL in Houston does a LOT of consignment work, and maintain a great reputation. Not afraid to recommend them at all. People come from all over the country to buy and sell there.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/
Old 06-22-2017, 05:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
And one of the neat things about PPL is they post what they say previous sales went for, so you can get an idea of value.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolfson View Post
Thank you for all the great replies. I have placed ads on this site and RV Trader. We have a 2012 Winnebago View, with Mercedes Benz diesel engine. It has 32,000 miles and it's in great condition. I looked in NADA for selling price, and the average seems to be right about what we're hoping to get. I'm having my son help with the computer listings as I'm not well versed... technology has passed me by. I'm not willing to give up 30% to a dealer for selling it on consignment - not just yet. We'll see how it goes.
Just my opinion but I believe NADA is consistently hi in their value estimates for cars as well as MHs...especially for private sales.
I've compared them to Edmunds and others for cars and the others are lower.

You have a young desirable model which should be a big help.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #14

Also when using the NADA Guide, do not add for extras that they list. Typically an RV comes standard with many of the items that they list and include an add on price for. If you read their page it will tell you what items you should add. When I am buying, I use the just the base price (no options) and the adder or subtraction for mileage, that's it. If you are adding for things like a driver's side door, or stovetop or other things your RV included in its original base price, you are going to be way high.

A better way to see what others are asking for similar rigs is to go on Craigslist and see what your competition is. A more time consuming way (but more accurate) is to list on Ebay with a high reserve and see where the bidding peters out.

I wouldn't use the Ebay consignor you asked about. Just throwing money away.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote